Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the honda accord retrofit kit from TRS and just got done opening the headlights. Seems like the acura 4g tl projector isnt a direct fit after alll, is there cutting involved? This is my first time retrofitting by the way

Car : 2015 honda accord sedan ex

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the bi-xenons or the single low beam? My low beam 4g tl projector is not lining up at all.. I was wondering if the bi-xenon is the projector that is a direct bolt on because the shield for those seems like they will line up with factory housing..

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
You guys are scaring me. I was going to attempt my retrofit project next week, but now I'm scared.

TRS has the bi-xenon "4G TL" projectors in their closeout section for $75. I wonder if those are the safer bet? I already have the real TL projectors, but I wouldn't mind plunking down another $80 or so if it means the retrofit goes more smoothly. Also, my projectors aren't in the greatest condition and need to be cleaned before they're installed. I'm a bit nervous about that, as the projector bowls are very easy to scratch.

What have I gotten myself into LOL

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
You guys are scaring me. I was going to attempt my retrofit project next week, but now I'm scared.

TRS has the bi-xenon "4G TL" projectors in their closeout section for $75. I wonder if those are the safer bet? I already have the real TL projectors, but I wouldn't mind plunking down another $80 or so if it means the retrofit goes more smoothly. Also, my projectors aren't in the greatest condition and need to be cleaned before they're installed. I'm a bit nervous about that, as the projector bowls are very easy to scratch.

What have I gotten myself into LOL
LOLOL
I honestly didn't know the 4G TL projectors were either bixenon or just low beam! I thought they were bixenon! Either which way, if you really wouldn't mind spending more money on the ones that are bixenon, then go for it. I believe @nayr14 has one or the other, so he could give you more details than I could!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
LOLOL
I honestly didn't know the 4G TL projectors were either bixenon or just low beam! I thought they were bixenon! Either which way, if you really wouldn't mind spending more money on the ones that are bixenon, then go for it. I believe @nayr14 has one or the other, so he could give you more details than I could!
Hahahah yeah.

The real 4G TL projectors are low beam-only. TRS has some aftermarket generic D2S bi-xenon projectors that just happen to share the same bolt pattern as the 4G TL's (though there's an extra hole that goes unused). I just wonder if the knockoffs would be a better fit than the real deal...hmmm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So did a little bit more browsing and found out different kind of projectors, can anyone explain why the mounting points are different from each other and which one will best fit?

It's suppose to be a direct bolt like TRS said but now its more complicated..

TRS Stanley projectors :
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/projectors/bi-xenon-acura-tl-zkw-r-projectors-oem.html#.VXYBjIpHbCQ

The bixenon :
http://m.ebay.com/itm/151651887883?varId=450860512511

TRS RETROQUIK 13+ Accord Kit :
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/application-specific/morimoto-retro-quik-system-accord-honda-2013.html#.VXYCvYpHbCQ

·
Registered
15 Posts
After looking at the HRK kit it does indeed look like the close out ones that are on TRS website and what TH23 mentioned above. Which does look like a D2S mini with a 4G TL front end. I am a bit curious myself now if the output will be wider than the 4G TL projectors low beam.

Khmaiguy562, the TRS Stanley projectors will not bolt up with our headlights. They are from the 3GTL, and I have them for another project that I compared it to the 4GTL before i put mine in. The retroquick 13+ is just the low beam 4GTL projector all stock.

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
I would go with the 4th Gen TL projectors. OEM quality will be a LOT better than anything else you'll find anywhere. I don't think they 3rd gens bolt in.

I had my shields modded by a member on HID Planet but last I checked he was no longer able to make the custom shields. The projectors aren't designed to be bi-xenon but it does supplement the high beams.

Also, the closeout parts will likely be broken. I ordered a set for fun and they had broken mounting tabs, etc. Probably not worth it.

For the coupe, I had to drill through the chrome shroud in order to get to the last screw on top of the shroud. I couldn't find a way to it without drilling, however the drill hole doesn't show once the lens is put back on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered the kit from TRS and it says it comes with the acura 4g tl projectors but it isnt bolt on once i test fitted it... are coupe headlights different from sedan?

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
I ordered the kit from TRS and it says it comes with the acura 4g tl projectors but it isnt bolt on once i test fitted it... are coupe headlights different from sedan?
Can you link the kit?

The headlight housings are different, but the projectors are the same. It should fit, you need to take the chrome shroud off. In order to get to the top screw that holds on the shroud I needed to drill a hole through the shroud.

Are you sure it doesn't align? Pictures?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The only "issue" (and I wouldn't even consider it an issue) was one tab has to be trimmed to get the projector to sit flush against the housing. The 4th gen TL may not be "the best" projector, it is a huge step up from the OEM halogen and with as simple as the install is, the best option in my opinion. I would recommend adjust the focus using washers (do this before you try to install them) and you should be golden. It's not that hard, I completed my retro in about 5 hours, not counting the time to mess with the washers. The wiring is striaght forward and the headlights come apart pretty easily with some time in the oven.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have any pictures of your setup? Would be nice to get some visuals. Also, what kind of washers do i use and where do i place them for the best focus?

It's my first time ever retrofitting so please be easy on me xD

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The only "issue" (and I wouldn't even consider it an issue) was one tab has to be trimmed to get the projector to sit flush against the housing. The 4th gen TL may not be "the best" projector, it is a huge step up from the OEM halogen and with as simple as the install is, the best option in my opinion. I would recommend adjust the focus using washers (do this before you try to install them) and you should be golden. It's not that hard, I completed my retro in about 5 hours, not counting the time to mess with the washers. The wiring is striaght forward and the headlights come apart pretty easily with some time in the oven.
Is the tab difficult to trim? I ask because I have a limited supply of tools on hand, so something that may be easy to one person might be difficult for me haha. I guess I could pull one of my TL projectors and start hacking at it and see what I'm dealing with. A dremel would probably be my best bet, huh?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
About $400 for all of the necessary parts including the projectors, clear lens upgrade, Morimoto ballasts and bulbs, butyl sealant (to reseal the headlights), and housing caps (to seal the back of the headlights around the new projectors). It gets a bit pricier if you decide to go with OEM ballasts or Philips/Osram bulbs.

Retro-Quik: 13+ Honda Accord

Here's the link where you can price out the components.

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
Do you have any pictures of your setup? Would be nice to get some visuals. Also, what kind of washers do i use and where do i place them for the best focus?

It's my first time ever retrofitting so please be easy on me xD
I have crappy pictures of mine, link is in my sig.

IIRC if you want to do a washer mod, you'll need some #6 washers. You place them between the reflector and the black piece where the lens sits.
Focus shouldn't be much of an issue as that's more dependent on the bulb alignment than it is the washers. Washers space out the lens from the source of light (bulb) which generally produces a nicer color flicker when done the "right" way.

Is the tab difficult to trim? I ask because I have a limited supply of tools on hand, so something that may be easy to one person might be difficult for me haha. I guess I could pull one of my TL projectors and start hacking at it and see what I'm dealing with. A dremel would probably be my best bet, huh?
Yup, or any small generic rotary tool, really. Got mine from Harbor Freight for like $10. If you have a sanding belt then you're golden as well... and excuse me while I exit stage left for not having multi-hundered dollar tools lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts