Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, let me say I am completely uninterested in aftermarket dongles that accomplish this. I know they exist. I don't care. Make your own thread.

Second, let me say I am completely uninterested in any griping about "wahhhh it doesn't work like I want it to every time" I don't care. I want it.

The solution I am after is retrofitting MY21-23 parts into my USDM MY18 6MT Sport 2.0 so I retain all basic functions I have and get wireless AA/CP.

First, trivial stuff:

P# for my radio in my 2018:
39540-TVC-A56RM

P# for a 2021 Sport 2.0:
39540-TVA-AC1RM
There's also this P#, which I assume is HU plus display, which I might not need?
39540-TVA-AC1

Does anyone have any experience with this? Have we learned anything from swapping displays between trim levels? I saw several threads from people who wanted SiriusXM (lol) on their low trim cars; did anyone pony up the cash for a new display and see if a swap works to add features?

Edited 28 May 2022:

I have to eat some crow. I ended up going with a Motorola MA1, which accomplishes exactly what I wanted to do with much less work and money. I was wrong. I'd encourage anyone looking for just Android Auto (it doesn't work with CarPlay) to do the same. Leaving this thread up with the part number references in case anyone wants to actually go for it.

· Registered
100 Posts
I would be more concerned about the change in model years than I would be the trim levels. I have a few thoughts while offering no help whatsoever!! :)

For example, would the 2021 HU correctly communicate with the 2018 Display? Trial and error is probably the only way to know for 99% of people. Obviously, you are seeking the experience of someone else that has already tried!!! :)

Would the 2018 steering wheel controls work correctly with the 2021 HU? I would GUESS that they would, but I would not assume it at all.

Further, as you know, the radio controls preferences for pretty much the whole car. So, if there have been changes to the communication protocols since 2018, the new HU wouldn't be able to control those other settings. I think this is more likely to be an issue simply because of firmware and other considerations. You may get all sorts of error codes because the radio is looking for input from the other controllers that may not exist on your car or are sending a message that the new HU doesn't understand.

Finally, your car has the 180W, eight speaker system. That system drives the speakers using analog outputs from the HU itself. The 10 speaker HU outputs all 10 channels to the amp using a single digital output. So, you will need to make sure that the HU you are installing is not only capable but correctly configured (likely via firmware) for the application you want.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally, your car has the 180W, eight speaker system. That system drives the speakers using analog outputs from the HU itself. The 10 speaker HU outputs all 10 channels to the amp using a single digital output. So, you will need to make sure that the HU you are installing is not only capable but correctly configured (likely via firmware) for the application you want.
The 2021/2022 2.0T Sport, Hybrid Sport, and EX-L uses the same 8 speaker setup with wireless AA/CP. Assuming I get THAT unit and not a different one, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

· Registered
100 Posts
The 2021/2022 2.0T Sport, Hybrid Sport, and EX-L uses the same 8 speaker setup with wireless AA/CP. Assuming I get THAT unit and not a different one, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

My 2021 EX-L has the 10 speaker "premium" system. I thought all EX-Ls had it. But to your point, Yes, I would think that you would want the eight speaker HU that supports AA/CP. If I were guessing, I would guess that it is the same piece of hardware but with different firmware.

· Registered
56 Posts
My 2021 EX-L has the 10 speaker "premium" system. I thought all EX-Ls had it. But to your point, Yes, I would think that you would want the eight-speaker HU that supports AA/CP. If I were guessing, I would guess that it is the same piece of hardware but with different firmware.
This is a good guess. I do remember reading that many owners of 2018-2020 were surveyed by Honda, some time ago, to see if there was enough interest to upgrade their existing cars with wireless AA/CP. Nothing came out of it as we now know. However, I am not sure if the surveyed members were all trims or Premium Audio only.

I was considering another "non-aftermarket dongle" way to do this on my car. Get an older iPhone 8, SE2 or alike, because it is as cheap as some dongles, leave it plugged in with no SIM and have it tethered to my iPhone. Apple will sync texts and calls on all your devices so that will work. Music streaming, maps will work as a permanently plugged-in phone will have data from yours. Battery life is irrelevant as the unit is permanently plugged in. May not be for you but someone else here may entertain the idea. Android is a little more tricky as it has many flavors but I believe Samsungs have all the above-mentioned features. Just a thought, unfortunately, I don't have another device to try right now

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was considering another "non-aftermarket dongle" way to do this on my car. Get an older iPhone 8, SE2 or alike, because it is as cheap as some dongles, leave it plugged in with no SIM and have it tethered to my iPhone. Apple will sync texts and calls on all your devices so that will work. Music streaming, maps will work as a permanently plugged-in phone will have data from yours. Battery life is irrelevant as the unit is permanently plugged in. May not be for you but someone else here may entertain the idea. Android is a little more tricky as it has many flavors but I believe Samsungs have all the above-mentioned features. Just a thought, unfortunately, I don't have another device to try right now
Without data, you're losing the ability to make phone calls, stream music, get live traffic, and go outside the downloaded maps zone. This setup is roughly equivalent to a 2004 Garmin on the dashboard in terms of functionality.

· Registered
100 Posts
Without data, you're losing the ability to make phone calls, stream music, get live traffic, and go outside the downloaded maps zone. This setup is roughly equivalent to a 2004 Garmin on the dashboard in terms of functionality.
You would have data. You’d be tethered to the “real” phone. Apple supports that. I’ve never tried a phone call, but I've used this functionality on my iPad for years. All my texts, contacts, etc. show on my iPad as if it were my phone.

· Registered
56 Posts
You would have data. You’d be tethered to the “real” phone. Apple supports that. I’ve never tried a phone call, but I've used this functionality on my iPad for years. All my texts, contacts, etc. show on my iPad as if it were my phone.
Right! I had calls too on my iPad.. before it died.
I’m not just hundred percent if the audio call share has to be on the same network (like a “middleman” router) or if it works on direct tether connection. Now I’m interested too. I’m going to try a borrowed unit over the weekend. Let you know

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Either way, that doesn't work on Android and I don't use iPhones.

Right! I had calls too on my iPad.. before it died.
I’m not just hundred percent if the audio call share has to be on the same network (like a “middleman” router) or if it works on direct tether connection. Now I’m interested too. I’m going to try a borrowed unit over the weekend. Let you know

· Registered
56 Posts
I am completely uninterested in any griping about "wahhhh it doesn't work like I want it to every time"
Either way, that doesn't work on Android and I don't use iPhones.
One, you stated AA/CP. not just Android exclusively.
Two, it does work with Android as I stated above (clearly you did not read the post)
Three, you broke your no. 2 rule with your last post.

good luck with your build.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
39540-TVA-AC1RM is a remanufactured 39540-TVA-AC1. They are identical parts. This part is 2.0 Sport specific.

39710-TVA-A13 is the actual screen P/N for ALL refreshed Accords.

I'm talking to a friend in a Honda service bay who tells me that he knows of several Pilots who have successfully made the swap. Hopefully we can soon add an Accord to that list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.