Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
That's what she said
504 Posts
It does that because you created inertia.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I read somewhere that our cars do that as a gas-saving measure. It's an I4.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I think it has more to do with emissions and how they programed ECU and DBW system.
My guess is that with conventional throttle butterfly after a rev and decell you have more tendency for turbulence by MAS that could make it go rich. So smoother/slower response helps mpg/emissions

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah when I shift gears I notice that the revs don't drop - I first noticed it when my friend was driving my car and I told him to knock it off.. But yeah.. It also creates a smoother shift.

·
That's what she said
504 Posts
Think of the mechanical stresses from the tranny putting power to the wheels. Now you just freed up that stress for a split second. The fly wheel spins a lot faster now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is for the emission..

Yeah, it is really annoying.

the Si has the same problem, but they have fixed the rev-hang by putting aftermarket ECU ..mostly..HONDATA.

I guess it happens only when you shift during "NON-VTEC RANGE".

·
need 6 speed!
2,231 Posts
yeah this is annoying, especially going from 1st to 2nd.

·
Just another old guy ....
1,042 Posts
This is not only a problem with the Gen 8 I4's, it also is an issue with the Gen 7's I4's (like mine :headbash::rant::grumpy::furious:) that have the DBW throttle bodies.

I wish that we had a "Sport" mode or something that we could select that would eliminate this issue.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
I recall my 03 & 06 2.4L doing it. My current 3.5L does this too tho its not as noticeable. Like someone mentioned, the momentary hang is to help control emissions.

·
That's what she said
504 Posts
All cars running properly should do that. My friends Subaru Impreza did that back in 98.

When it stops, you've got a problem.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Yep, annoying as hell. And I can tell you ALL Honda vehicles (including Acura) do that. Maybe it's a ULEV thing, since none of my other manual, DBW, OBDII cars did that. And yes, there's nothing we can do about it, so am adjusting to make my shifts VEEEEEEERY slowly to avoid jerky shifts. Which is good for the car anyway, but makes you look like a rookie when you need to make forward progress quickly. Later.
JC

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's due to the Drive-By Wire (DBW) throttle all new Honda's/Acura's use now. It's probably the most annoying thing I've ever had to deal with in a car. Even my S2K has that pesky thing. When I'm driving, shifting from 1st to 2nd is so time consuming if you're trying to match revs. And if you let the clutch out early, then all your doing is wearing your synchros down.

·
dub.dub
342 Posts
My coworker has a S2000 and he said his does that as well, but he said it was due to the clutch (w/ some explanation I can't remember) rather than the DBW?

My previous Acura RSX didn't have this. I can't let go of the clutch as fast now and/or I have to gas more to match it right. -.-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.