Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to change out some filters because I was bored and won't be able to get to them till June as I will be traveling and busy...I went ahead and took the frugal route and purchased the following off of amazon.

Mainly for the price, rebate and the active carbon to help control the smells from the elements

and

Because it never hurts to change an air filter to help your car breath better.

FRAM - in comparison to the OEM Honda that was installed, the foldings are 50% less than the OEM. Moreover, the fiber is A LOT less dense and thinner than the OEM. However, the fit was spot on with no leaks.

Will I buy again: Too early to tell but as of now, I am leaning towards NO!

MANN: Sooooooo much different than the OEM. The Mann was a lot more flexible (plastic) than the OEM. Also, the folds were also decreased by 50% in comparison to the OEM. And again, the fiber material was much MUCH inferior to the OEM.

Will I buy again: NOOOO! Chances are I will be changing this filter out in June or the next 10,000 miles and going back to OEM.

You get what you pay for is sooooo true. A huge lesson learned for me. I don't think I will ever steer away from OEM products ever again! :thmsup:

·
Registered
575 Posts
It's pretty well known that the OEM cabin air filter and OEM engine air filter are better made than most third-party alternatives. The OEM cabin filter can be bought for around $18, which isn't bad at all.

The OEM engine air filter is also around $18 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Super dumb question...

Which way is the air flow on the cabin filter?

Is the flow UP towards the windshield

or

DOWN towards the ground?

The OEM filter didn't have an arrow on it so I was a little foggy.

Thanks!

·
Carpe Diem
2,566 Posts
Air comes in from the vents under the wiper blades so I assume it flows down towards the ground.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
I always get OEM filters for the engine, but I just get the Fresh Breeze from Wally world for the cabin filter, cause I don't see the cabin filter as all that important, as long as it fits well in the little tray.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I always get OEM filters for the engine, but I just get the Fresh Breeze from Wally world for the cabin filter, cause I don't see the cabin filter as all that important, as long as it fits well in the little tray.
I should have stayed with the OEM filter (engine) for $10 more. My cheap gene kicked in but lesson learned!

In regards to the cabin filter, I purchased the same in hopes of minimizing smells from outside. Hope it works. If not, I will go back to OEM for both filters.

·
2020 CBP Touring
688 Posts
You could always cut your own cabin filter and make it into a hepa filter.

I've considered this myself but am afraid it wouldn't flow well enough...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've just been sticking with the Honda OEM Engine Air Filter and Cabin Air Filter. Usually I would take a printout from Handa Accessories to my local dealer and they'd match or at least get close to the online price. No wait, and I'd save on shipping so I'd prefer that.

But today the dealer noticed the Handa printout said specifically both the Air Filter and Cabin Air Filters stocked online aren't OEM.

Any other good recommendations from where to buy the OEM filters online? The dealer may match that. Otherwise, I think the Dealer wants $20 for the Cabin Air Filter and $40 for the Air Filter

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Holy thread bump batman. Anyhoozles, my comparison between the Fram and OEM showed them to be pretty much identical.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=3232809

Probably because the cross section of the airbox/filter is way bigger than the area of the intake pipe (IOW, the filter doesn't restrict anything).

·
Roll Tide!
6,795 Posts
Any other good recommendations from where to buy the OEM filters online?
Captain Obvious says "If you don't buy the filters from HandA or your local dealer, hit up Amazon to save a couple bucks over your local business." I agree with him. :yes:

If you really want to be a cheap ass, hit up your local autoparts joint for a Wix AF and a Fram cabin filter. You car won't know the difference. :thmsup:

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
I've just been sticking with the Honda OEM Engine Air Filter and Cabin Air Filter. Usually I would take a printout from Handa Accessories to my local dealer and they'd match or at least get close to the online price. No wait, and I'd save on shipping so I'd prefer that.

But today the dealer noticed the Handa printout said specifically both the Air Filter and Cabin Air Filters stocked online aren't OEM.

Any other good recommendations from where to buy the OEM filters online? The dealer may match that. Otherwise, I think the Dealer wants $20 for the Cabin Air Filter and $40 for the Air Filter
You can get the OEM filter from HandA, but it cost $20, not the $14 for the aftermarket. Still better than $40 the local dealership charges. I don't find fram filters are any cheaper than OEM.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Lol thread revival, BTW I still need to replace my engine air filter. Replaced my cabin air filter already. I know where the engine air filter is but I had trouble getting it out the first time, couldn't seem to push it back because I was worried it would break something lol. Any suggestions?

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
You could always cut your own cabin filter and make it into a hepa filter.

How is that making it a HEPA filter? All I see this doing is restricting flow, and making it harder to get leaves, etc. out of it. Most times I just tap it upside down, to knock the loose leaves out, use compressed air to blow the dust out from the back side, then put it right back in.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts