Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2003 Accord Coupe V6 MT with 170k. 2nd/3rd gear has been revving up to 3500-4000rpm without much throttle response. I notice that it happens more as the car warms up. It'll go away and then occassionally come back.

Has anyone encountered this issue? Please advise.

Thanks everyone.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
Are you on original clutch?

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
My Jeep used to do that on some cold mornings. It usually wouldn't last for more than a couple minutes. I cleaned out the throttle body and that seemed to help. Could be a sticky IAC causing a high idle situation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you on original clutch?
I got the car at 122k..not sure what the previous owner did. But as far as I know, it's on the original clutch.

I will clean out the throttle body this weekend and see if it makes a difference. I also changed the transmission fluid two days ago and that seemed to help a bit. I have to gradually gas it, can't just push and expect it to respond like it used to.

Do you think seafoam would help with this issue?

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,396 Posts
i'm guessing clutch is going out...

·
838 Posts
I read the original post wrong. I thought it was hanging RPMs while you shifted from 2nd to 3rd. Disregard anything about the throttle body.

If your rpms increase quickly without you gaining speed when you goose it in 3rd, your clutch is slipping.

It is expensive to pay someone to do, and a big job to do yourself. I did my 2004's clutch myself at 155k because of a loud throwout bearing and it was a two day job.
Thread here:http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2046457

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for responses.

Toshbar for sharing those pictures. It sure looks like a lot of work.

I started browsing for clutch sets. Do you have any suggestions on what would be best option to go with? I have seen Luk and Exedy clutch sets, and not sure which one to purchase. Luk is a little cheaper than Exedy.

Thanks again.

·
838 Posts
I bought mine from the local carquest and it ended up being an exedy. It has done well. I don't think my car is a racecar, and don't slip the clutch like it's a 2 stroke dirtbike so I expect it to last well over 300k additional miles. The clutch and pressure plates I pulled out were mere THOUSANDTHS thinner than my new exedy parts, and this was at 175k miles.

·
838 Posts
RockAuto has the Exedy for $203, Luk for $225, and Sachs for $311. I would definitely go with Exedy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll do some browsing and let you know how it goes. Appreciate the inputs.

Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all,

So i went with the Luk 08-047 clutch kit and got it installed today. Everything feels fine. The slippage is gone. But there is one small problem, 1st and reverse is crunchy and takes a bit of force to get into. Does that go away after the break-in period? Should I take it back and have the mechanic take a second look at it?

Thanks again everyone.

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
Does that go away after the break-in period?
Bleed the clutch if you haven't yet. Mine was as you described for about 100 miles.

·
White on Black AV6-6
100 Posts
How much was it for the parts? And labor? What's the final cost? It cost me about $1,900 after it was all said and done for parts+labor but I spent $1,300 on my clutch and flywheel alone.

What kind of MTF/ Gear Oil was used this time to fill? I run Schaeffers 293 75W-90 Supreme Gear Lube Para-Synthetic Soluable Moly with perfect results. Used to grind ripping into 2nd but not even a hint any more.
Find out what kind and type of fluid that's in your gearbox. This will help diagnosis.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been so busy and haven't gotten around to bleeding the clutch. I'll get to that tomorrow morning.

I bought a LUK clutch kit for $170 on Amazon, labor was $400. The shop resurfaced the flywheel at no cost. I used Honda MTF when I changed the fluid about 1000 miles ago. 1st and reverse are still hard to get into especially in the morning although it's been 500 miles since the clutch replacement. I would have to pump the clutch a couple times to pop it into gear. Hopefully everything will improve after clutch fluid bleed/replacement.

I'll check back in soon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:

did a clutch bleed and refilled this morning, old clutch fluid came out muddy color, repeated until clutch fluid was coming out clear. Clutch feels much better now and all gears are going in smooth and easy (no crunching).

Thanks all.

·
838 Posts
Where did you get it done for $400? I went to 6 places and labor was $800-1000. I then decided to do it myself and there is no way I would do that again for $400.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where did you get it done for $400? I went to 6 places and labor was $800-1000. I then decided to do it myself and there is no way I would do that again for $400.
I got it done at a local auto shop in Santa Ana, CA. It's called BC Auto. You can probably find them on yelp.

·
White on Black AV6-6
100 Posts
I did my clutch with the help and assistance of our mechanic at work. Even though I busted my arse helping him and we are friends, $450 was the LABOR price we agreed on.
Stupid tough job. 13 hours with 2 people. So like 26 labor hours.

I was quoted upwards of $1,200 just for labor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2003 Accord Coupe V6 MT with 170k. 2nd/3rd gear has been revving up to 3500-4000rpm without much throttle response. I notice that it happens more as the car warms up. It'll go away and then occassionally come back.

Has anyone encountered this issue? Please advise.

Thanks everyone.
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but i'm having the same problem even after changing out the clutch. I went with an oem clutch though... so going with an aftermarket clutch fixed your problem? Also the dealership told me that the fly wheel wasn't resurface-able. so dumb

thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts