Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post on DA, so please bear with me

I recently purchased a used 2009 Honda Accord EX-L V6. Before purchasing, I noticed that the right turn signal would blink 2x as fast as the left. I initially thought this was a dying/incorrect bulb that simply needed to be replaced. Both turn signals work, the right side is just fast. The signals work perfectly fine as hazard lights. Additionally, one filament lights up on the front when the headlights are turned on.

I purchased a new set of bulbs and installed them -- the problem remained. I have also swapped bulbs, sockets, replaced fuses, and compared each front side harness using a multimeter, which leads me to believe its not a grounding issue. I tested this by directly grounding the front right blinker bulb to the chassis -- the problem remained. I narrowed it down to a possible relay problem, then I found out that 2009 Accords don't have mechanical relays and instead use an MICU to control lighting. I figure that if the MICU computer was going bad, other problems would show (I may very well be wrong). I have considered attempting to install a load resistor, as this lighting problem seems identical to hyperflashing issues caused by LEDs.

Has anyone seen a problem like this before? Is it possible that this problem may be caused by the MICU and is there any additional troubleshooting I could do to narrow it down further? Are there any other possible causes?

Thank you and I appreciate any advice you may have.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,014 Posts
This thread from our search feature looks like a good place to start. I realize it's from an 04 but there could be some utility. I have the exact same car as you and have never had a probelm like yours. 04 MICU replacement

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had that problem with my 2008 and tried everything you have. It did not show any other signs except getting progressively worse to the point where the entire right side of the car had lighting problems. It turned out to be a bad wiring harness and MICU. Perhaps one problem was related to the other. I just know I paid $1,700 to get it fixed because my daughter has the car on the other side of the country and I couldn't fix it myself. Let us know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had that problem with my 2008 and tried everything you have. It did not show any other signs except getting progressively worse to the point where the entire right side of the car had lighting problems. It turned out to be a bad wiring harness and MICU. Perhaps one problem was related to the other. I just know I paid $1,700 to get it fixed because my daughter has the car on the other side of the country and I couldn't fix it myself. Let us know.
Thanks for the reply, I'm glad to hear that someone has had a similar problem.

I'm not too knowledgeable about accords or cars in general yet (though I'm trying to learn). What wiring harness are you referring to? and would that be something that comes with a donor MICU?

I appreciate the help, and I'll definitely provide updates.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I do not know which wire harness he replaced. It was a local mechanic in NV. He gave my daughter a "Don't worry your pretty little head about it, missy" style of receipt. I paid, she thanked me, and it has not acted up since it was fixed. I suppose it would be a harness directly connected to the unit though. Hopefully, someone else will chime in here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not know which wire harness he replaced. It was a local mechanic in NV. He gave my daughter a "Don't worry your pretty little head about it, missy" style of receipt. I paid, she thanked me, and it has not acted up since it was fixed. I suppose it would be a harness directly connected to the unit though. Hopefully, someone else will chime in here.
After some additional troubleshooting, I figured that the wires that power the 21w and 5w filament might be switched somewhere along the wiring. I tested this and it ended up fixing my problem. I spliced the green wire to the grey harness connection and vice versa. I’m happy to have solved the problem and thanks for the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts