Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed a tire today and found a bunch of grease on the inside of the tire. seems like a bushing has ripped. any thoughts?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would guess that your CV boot cover is ripped. Is there a spray of grease that goes our radially from the CV boot? See if there is a tear in the boot. Hopefully the CV joint is ok and all you need to do is replace and repack the boot. If you feel/hear a clicking noise when you turn the car, the cv joint is bad and you will need to also replace the axle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would guess that your CV boot cover is ripped. Is there a spray of grease that goes our radially from the CV boot? See if there is a tear in the boot. Hopefully the CV joint is ok and all you need to do is replace and repack the boot. If you feel/hear a clicking noise when you turn the car, the cv joint is bad and you will need to also replace the axle.
I dont see a tear anywhere, I dont hear a tick when the engine starts. The inside of the tire was all black with the grease. How long can I drive like this for?

·
Turbocharged
938 Posts
You probably need to pry at the boot with your hand to find the rip. Get it taken cared of ASAP or you'll be looking at buying a new CV axle. All that grease is there for a reason.

Reactions: 2Accordz

·
Registered
114 Posts
I dont see a tear anywhere, I dont hear a tick when the engine starts. The inside of the tire was all black with the grease. How long can I drive like this for?
I agree with Hudouc, I'd get the boot replaced asap otherwise it will cost a lot more. All it takes is a tiny hole and the centripetal force of the tire rotation will fling all the grease out. I understand the 1 piece boots are better than the split boots, but they will cost more to install. I'd check the other side too for leaks.

·
Super Moderator
6,549 Posts
Pry open the boot's many folds with your hands, there is a rip in there. That's the only source that would contain black grease in that area, nothing else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts