Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...we have a 2008 EX-L now with 105K miles. We have really enjoyed the car except for one thing. Highway road noise! We tend to take 4-6000 mile trips...three so far with the Gen 8...and by the time we get back we hate our Accord :(

We have started "thinking" about a new "road" car and wonder what Gen 9 owners (particularly those who also owned Gen 9) have experienced with road noise?

When we travel we listen to books on tape and soon find the volume WAY up just to hear over the varying road noise...from just bad to very bad.

Will appreciate any comments...Tom R

·
CBP 2013 Accord Sport CVT
22 Posts
I find that my 2013 Sport is quite a bit quieter than my 2012 Accord LX that I traded in. In my opinion it's quieter on both the city and highway. It's actually the quietest Honda I've ever been in, and we have many Hondas in my family. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
All 9th generation cars come with Active Noise Cancelation technology which reduces road noise through the audio system. Also it has noise sensitive volume control which varies the audio system volume with the level of noise in the cabin.

Take a test drive and bring along one of your audio books. Tell the sales person that you want to drive the car on the highway at highway speed to determine how much road noise there is compared to previous cars. Then listen to the audio book while driving on the same highway to determine if you can hear the words clearly without having to blast the volume. If the sales person won't let you test drive the features that are important to you then go to another dealer.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Spend a few hundred dollars and install MLV on the floorboard and other various places. You'll quiet it down A LOT

·
Registered
834 Posts
All 9th generation cars come with Active Noise Cancelation technology which reduces road noise through the audio system. Also it has noise sensitive volume control which varies the audio system volume with the level of noise in the cabin.
8th Gens had that too.

Hello...we have a 2008 EX-L now with 105K miles. We have really enjoyed the car except for one thing. Highway road noise! We tend to take 4-6000 mile trips...three so far with the Gen 8...and by the time we get back we hate our Accord :(

We have started "thinking" about a new "road" car and wonder what Gen 9 owners (particularly those who also owned Gen 9) have experienced with road noise?

When we travel we listen to books on tape and soon find the volume WAY up just to hear over the varying road noise...from just bad to very bad.

I owned two different 8th Gen Accords and now a 9th Gen. Comparing the two, tire noise is much reduced in the 9th Gen, however wind noise is about the same. Also, the 9th Gen has a water-resistant fabric lining the rear wheel wells which absorbs some road noise and eliminates the sound of water spraying up against the body while driving in the rain.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
8th Gens had that too.

I owned two different 8th Gen Accords and now a 9th Gen. Comparing the two, tire noise is much reduced in the 9th Gen, however wind noise is about the same. Also, the 9th Gen has a water-resistant fabric lining the rear wheel wells which absorbs some road noise and eliminates the sound of water spraying up against the body while driving in the rain.
The 9th gen also eliminated the upper control arm on the front suspension which Honda said it was to eliminate road noise. I really think it was to help with the 1/4 offset crash testing myself.

Jay

·
Banned
784 Posts
9th gen Honda is very good if you have Michelin tires on the car but not as quiet as Camry silent. I have both 2013 Accord and 2014 Camry. 9th gen Accord is very quiet compared to 7th gen Accord (my dad's car). A drive from Duluth to MSP would drive me crazy if the road noise is very high.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
The 9th gen also eliminated the upper control arm on the front suspension which Honda said it was to eliminate road noise. I really think it was to help with the 1/4 offset crash testing myself.

Jay

I think it was mostly to reduce cost. They could not add all the electronic gadgets into the car without cutting something meaningful. Not sure about the crash test thing, the new Acura RLX that just came out retains the double wishbone setup.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I think it was mostly to reduce cost. They could not add all the electronic gadgets into the car without cutting something meaningful. Not sure about the crash test thing, the new Acura RLX that just came out retains the double wishbone setup.
Of course it was to save money. Lots of other great handling cars use McPherson strut front suspensions such as Porsche. My 2000 Accord Coupe has the double wishbone front suspension and I think the 9th generation handles better. Also the change allowed them to reduce the exterior size of the car while still retaining space for the V6 engine. I think that the 8th generation Accords were getting bloated in size and personally that was one of the reasons I didn't buy a used 8th generation Accord.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
9th gen Honda is very good if you have Michelin tires on the car but not as quiet as Camry silent. I have both 2013 Accord and 2014 Camry. 9th gen Accord is very quiet compared to 7th gen Accord (my dad's car). A drive from Duluth to MSP would drive me crazy if the road noise is very high.
I rode in a current model Camry XLE over the weekend almost 600mi and I thought the road noise was the same as my EX with factory good years. I like the ride of my Accord better.

Jay

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I have not owned a Gen8 but have been very much into Hondas as road/family car staples for about 20 years. They've always been noted for excess road noise. The Gen9 has finally taken a serious stab at correcting that. The Gen9 is much quieter....one reason I bought it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for input. From your comments as well as some prior thread searching it appears that two conclusions are pretty solids.

1) The gen 8 does have a solid reputation of having pretty significant road noise...as I also have experienced.

2) the gen 9 seems to have made some significant improvement in road noise...perhaps not "Lexus" like...but likely similar or better than directly competitive product.

This is good to hear as gen 8 is not pleasant after long road trips...not a big problem just in daily driving...but it does get to you when you are in your gen 8 for real long days on a road trip.

Probably will try and test drive a gen 9.

Other problem is...no longer a 4cyl manual transmission with 2013 or 14 Accord EX-L sedan...really like the 4 cyl with manual...but also want the leather.

Thanks...Tom

·
Banned
784 Posts
I rode in a current model Camry XLE over the weekend almost 600mi and I thought the road noise was the same as my EX with factory good years. I like the ride of my Accord better.
Jay
Yesterday I drove from MSP to Chicago (Wheaton) and Milwaukee (Marquette) then back to MSP, which is about 800 miles. Neither Camry nor Accord is quiet enough. I will not talk about my Odyssey since it is so loud. The road noise after an hour or so can add a lot to fatigue. If you really want a quiet cruiser I don't think neither Camry nor Accord will be good enough. I would like to try Lexus but it is just out of league for a common man like myself.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I had a 09 Sedan Ex-L V6. I came from a Mazdaspeed 6 at the time. The road noise in the Accord was headache inducing at times. The drone of dealing with the noise over long trips was a problem indeed. My Mazdapseed 6 with winter tires on was quieter then the Accord with summers on.

I'm quite happy with the 9th. Wind noise is down a bit (could still be better) the felt lined wheel wells help with little rocks (My 2006 Speed6 had this too so its about time Honda had it). The road noise is quite a bit better....but its not "gone". Rough pavement is still loud. The car is never as loud as the 8th gen, but don't get in expecting a Lexus quiet interior. Its certainly better then the 8th, no doubt at all, but still needs a little work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts