Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a brand new 2014 Honda Accord LX-CVT car few days ago. I felt a lot road noise appeared, especially when I drving on freeway about 60 mph. I don't know how the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system works. Does every 2014 Honda Accord LX make road noise so much? Thanks a lot!

·
Banned
784 Posts
We just bought a brand new 2014 Honda Accord LX-CVT car few days ago. I felt a lot road noise appeared, especially when I drving on freeway about 60 mph. I don't know how the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system works. Does every 2014 Honda Accord LX make road noise so much? Thanks a lot!
Do you have Firestone Affinity or Continental tires? I had Firestone Affinity and they were noisy. I bought a new set of 17" OEM wheels with Michelin MXV and they are very quiet. I got rid of Affinity tires at 25000 miles and purchased and mounted a set of Blizzak WS70 tires on the 16" OEM wheels. Blizzak and Affinity are similar in terms of road noise. I bought Blizzak for winter driving.

·
Registered
44 Posts
my wife's v6 touring has more road noise than expected. honda cheaped out on actual sound deadening insulation in favour of active noise canceling. they even put in a thinner than normal rear window (tap on it and you'll see/hear the difference). i don't believe in undercoating but i'm thinking about it with this car to see if it reduces road noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In spite if the ANC the Accord is not a very quiet car. Hondas are famous for road noise. This new Accord is better - but most other midsize sedans are noticeably quieter. My '13 Altima was definitely quieter than my '14 Accord.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I noticed the opposite. My 13 altima was noisier. A lot of cvt noise.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Check the tire pressure. Should be 33 psi all around. Mine was delivered with 44 psi all around. Found out they are shipped overinflated. It should have been corrected by dealer during PDI but wasn't. I corrected the pressure and it helped quite a bit. Make no mistake though the Accord does exhibit quite a bit of road noise and at times senses every bump in the road.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I hate to say this, but I just came out of a 2012 Honda Fit, where it was SO Noisy!!! The Accord is SUPER QUIET in comparison!!!

·
Banned
784 Posts
Wait... Don't all the American Accords come out of the same factory in Ohio? Don't they all have the same make and model of tires? Just curious.
No and that is the crazy part. Some people get Goodyear, Michelin or Continental if you have 17" or 18". If you have 16" then you get Continental or Firestone.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Apply a sheet of mass loaded vinyl on the door panels. Road noise drops so much it's incredible. Even loud trucks next to you become eerily silent. Not hard to do at all either.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Yup. If you have the time and funds after putting MLV on the doors (very easy and fairly cheap), pull up the carpet and put a layer down. I've played around plenty with MLV in a car, but haven't ever put it down under the carpet. I would be it would block out quite a bit of road noise.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yup. If you have the time and funds after putting MLV on the doors (very easy and fairly cheap), pull up the carpet and put a layer down. I've played around plenty with MLV in a car, but haven't ever put it down under the carpet. I would be it would block out quite a bit of road noise.
It does block a lot of road noise. I like how my car is quieter than my mother's Lexus RX330.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think ANC is tuned to cancel out engine noise - not noise from the road.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Peel back the carpet of the footwells and remove the door panels. Put some sound deadener (I recommend B-Quiet) and forget about the road noise.
Even 50-60% coverage will be more then sufficient to dampen the road noise and make you stock door speakers sound noticeably better. if would DIY it shouldn't cost you more then $100.

·
Registered
206 Posts
To be sure of what you are hearing, download an app that measures sound decibels and drive it on the highway and set the cruise. Record the sound levels and repeat once you do the sound dampening. Make sure you repeat the same speed on the same stretch of road. I think some manufactures list the decibels ratings of their cars to get what the say your car should be at certain speeds.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Peel back the carpet of the footwells and remove the door panels. Put some sound deadener (I recommend B-Quiet) and forget about the road noise.
Even 50-60% coverage will be more then sufficient to dampen the road noise and make you stock door speakers sound noticeably better. if would DIY it shouldn't cost you more then $100.
That is sound dampening material, which dampens resonances and will not reduce noise effectively. Something like mass loaded vinyl would be the route to go to block noise.

·
Austin, TX
85 Posts
Having come from a 2009 Civic to my 2013 Accord EX-L, road noise doesn't seem bad at all to me. Wind noise, though, is really bad (there's a thread here somewhere regarding wind noise).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts