Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a long (3,000 mile round trip) road trip in my '15 Sport 6MT. I was looking forward to this trip for a couple of car-related reasons, MPG among them. Trip is from Virginia Beach to northern Minnesota and back. VA, MD, PA, OH, IN, IL, WI, MN.

First half complete. About 900 miles on the first day, and close to 700 miles on the second.

Bottom line: averaging right around 35 MPG. Not as good as I would have thought it would be, but getting better will require slowing down and that ain't happening :smile.

Parameters:

• Car has two adults and probably a couple hundred pounds of luggage and stuff.
  • Tires are at 36 psi.
  • Econ button off.
  • HVAC set on Auto with A/C on.
  • Windows up.
  • 87 octane gas.

I was expecting to get around 36-38 MPG. I knew going into this that 40 MPG, while theoretically possible, would require going about 60 mph. With interstate speed limits at 70, wasn't going to do that. If I had kept it at 70, I think I could have achieved 36-38.

Tank #1: 514.6 miles. 14.716 gallons. 35.0 MPG. Computer showed 34.8 - pretty accurate (computer has consistently been very close to actual through 20 fill ups). Speeds were between 65-75 mph and included getting through the mountains/hills of Pennsylvania.

Tank #2: 572.4 miles. 16.440 gallons. 34.8 MPG. Computer showed 34.3. This was mostly flat but I had CC set at 78/79 which obviously hurt fuel economy.

Tank #3: Still in progress but computer is showing 34.6. Expect it to be close.

So there you have it folks. Real world numbers from a 6MT Sport. I'll post the return trip next week but I suspect the numbers will be very consistent.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Still, think about it, 34-35 mpg at 70-80 mph is still VERY GOOD!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still, think about it, 34-35 mpg at 70-80 mph is still VERY GOOD!
You know, I meant to add that to my post. 35 MPG at that speed in a large 4 door sedan is amazing! And you CVT boys and girls would probably get a couple more - probably the 36-38 I had been shooting for.

·
Registered
421 Posts
On a related note - I took my cvt sport out from NYC to Orlando last year,

And got 600 miles to the tank. Only took me 2 tankfulls to get there and 2 to get back.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm on a long (3,000 mile round trip) road trip in my '15 Sport 6MT. I was looking forward to this trip for a couple of car-related reasons, MPG among them. Trip is from Virginia Beach to northern Minnesota and back. VA, MD, PA, OH, IN, IL, WI, MN.

First half complete. About 900 miles on the first day, and close to 700 miles on the second.

Bottom line: averaging right around 35 MPG. Not as good as I would have thought it would be, but getting better will require slowing down and that ain't happening :smile.

Parameters:

• Car has two adults and probably a couple hundred pounds of luggage and stuff.
  • Tires are at 36 psi.
  • Econ button off.
  • HVAC set on Auto with A/C on.
  • Windows up.
  • 87 octane gas.

I was expecting to get around 36-38 MPG. I knew going into this that 40 MPG, while theoretically possible, would require going about 60 mph. With interstate speed limits at 70, wasn't going to do that. If I had kept it at 70, I think I could have achieved 36-38.

Tank #1: 514.6 miles. 14.716 gallons. 35.0 MPG. Computer showed 34.8 - pretty accurate (computer has consistently been very close to actual through 20 fill ups). Speeds were between 65-75 mph and included getting through the mountains/hills of Pennsylvania.

Tank #2: 572.4 miles. 16.440 gallons. 34.8 MPG. Computer showed 34.3. This was mostly flat but I had CC set at 78/79 which obviously hurt fuel economy.

Tank #3: Still in progress but computer is showing 34.6. Expect it to be close.

So there you have it folks. Real world numbers from a 6MT Sport. I'll post the return trip next week but I suspect the numbers will be very consistent.
Turn on the Econ mode and your numbers will go up. If you're using cruise control it is hard not to get 40.

·
Yo Yo Ma
415 Posts
Stay in the right line for a couple 100 miles and just push 60 I am sure other people will not be going 70, you'll see the difference in MPG.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turn on the Econ mode and your numbers will go up. If you're using cruise control it is hard not to get 40.
Don't think this is as easy as you imply. The only way this car will see 40 is at a constant 55 mph, no AC. Certainly not possible at the speed I had CC set.

Out of curiosity I think I'll try the return trip with econ on and see what that does. I predict that it will either result in no change, or maybe add 1 MPG to the average.

·
Registered
312 Posts
We did a run to Niagara Falls from Rockland County 20 miles outside NYC. Family of 4 with some luggage. About a 335 mile run each way. We did 36.5 for the entire trip. Best mileage was on flat run with Eco on and we had AC running and got 41.5 mpg on Interstate 81. I varied the mileage and did not use cruise control as we had only 400 miles on the car for the trip to the falls. The Eco reduces the affect of AC on mileage. When I hit hills on Rte 17 you could see how the mileage was affected. My top speed was 67 mph.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Consider factoring in wind speed and direction as well. I've lost a few mpg going into a modest headwind, and gained those back and then some on the return trip with the wind at my tail.

How have the seats held up on your trip? How tall are you, and your weight?

On a recent trip from Boston to Northern New York I averaged 36.8 mpg there and 35 mpg back in my 2004 I4 5-manual Accord EX sedan with cruise set at 75 (Torque App had speed at 73 mph). About 650 miles round trip. My overall average over the past 83k is 31.3 mpg in mixed 60/40 hwy/city driving, with longer trips like this one sprinkled in. Car has 153k on it and I could not be more impressed with my first Honda, purchased new.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Consider factoring in wind speed and direction as well. I've lost a few mpg going into a modest headwind, and gained those back and then some on the return trip with the wind at my tail.

How have the seats held up on your trip? How tall are you, and your weight?

On a recent trip from Boston to Northern New York I averaged 36.8 mpg there and 35 mpg back in my 2004 I4 5-manual Accord EX sedan with cruise set at 75 (Torque App had speed at 73 mph). About 650 miles round trip. My overall average over the past 83k is 31.3 mpg in mixed 60/40 hwy/city driving, with longer trips like this one sprinkled in. Car has 153k on it and I could not be more impressed with my first Honda, purchased new.
I'M 6'2 about 238 lbs. I didn't use cruise going to the falls as I wanted to vary the speed for break in. My right leg was a little tired from not using cruise. Had to make 4 stops due to problem stomach. Way back 1 stop and used cruise control (Stomach better). The car is comfortable and has plenty of pep with a 4 and the CVT. My LX drives nice and is comfortable. My wife liked the passenger seat and my 10 year old liked the seats and rear leg room. My 7 year old is small and is in a child seat (Got her a new one that I could latch). I wish Honda had a power outlet for the rear seats. I put a splitter in the outlet in the box so the kids can use their electronics. We are very happy with the Accord.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took a 50 mph cruise and computer said 46.1, but on other ocassions I checked accuracy of it and it over estimated 1/2 mpg.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The sweet spot for me was 60mph. TheECO really reducesbthe AC load.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Don't think this is as easy as you imply. The only way this car will see 40 is at a constant 55 mph, no AC. Certainly not possible at the speed I had CC set.

Out of curiosity I think I'll try the return trip with econ on and see what that does. I predict that it will either result in no change, or maybe add 1 MPG to the average.
I got 42 through the wv mountains with ac on. Probably did average of 62 mph. If you set it on 65 on level ground you'll get 40. It's pretty foolproof. Econ makes a big difference in how cc applies throttle.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I got 42 through the wv mountains with ac on. Probably did average of 62 mph. If you set it on 65 on level ground you'll get 40. It's pretty foolproof. Econ makes a big difference in how cc applies throttle.
You have an LX, though. In my experience, the LX is capable of slightly better gas mileage than the Sport. I hit 40 in my LX a couple of times, but I'd say 38 is about the best my Sport can do under ideal conditions. I usually get about 35-36 on highway trips, which is right in line with the numbers OP is posting.

·
Registered
66 Posts
OP, how many miles on your car? I'm asking because I've read on here that people are experiencing mpg increase once the engine is broken in.

I recently (as in yesterday) completed a 1,000 mile road trip. I was able to achieve 36.2mpg with econ turned on, 70mph, AC on, windows up, KN air filter. My car has 2500 miles. Also a 6mt sport. 2 adults and trunk full of luggage.

·
Registered
661 Posts
You have an LX, though. In my experience, the LX is capable of slightly better gas mileage than the Sport. I hit 40 in my LX a couple of times, but I'd say 38 is about the best my Sport can do under ideal conditions. I usually get about 35-36 on highway trips, which is right in line with the numbers OP is posting.
Don't want to start a war, but it's the same engine and same transmission on the same frame and body. Exhaust is different and there is a 4hp difference in power(not enough to actually feel unless you put it on a Dyno). Aside from some minor changes in weight (and a spoiler?) it is exactly the same car. Sport People, please don't hate me! Also, your larger wheels theoretically give you better gearing than us peasants with 17in wheels. I think having a sport causes people to drive it in a sporty manner which uses more gas.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Don't want to start a war, but it's the same engine and same transmission on the same frame and body. Exhaust is different and there is a 4hp difference in power(not enough to actually feel unless you put it on a Dyno). Aside from some minor changes in weight (and a spoiler?) it is exactly the same car. Sport People, please don't hate me! Also, your larger wheels theoretically give you better gearing than us peasants with 17in wheels. I think having a sport causes people to drive it in a sporty manner which uses more gas.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a war either, just wanted to share my experience since I've owned both models. My driving conditions and style haven't really changed, but my LX averaged 30.6 mpg over 11k miles whereas my Sport has done 29.2 mpg over 15k. It's not a huge difference, but enough to notice. The Sport does weigh in a little heavier, but I suspect the wheels are the main culprit.

I don't know the actual weight of the wheel/tire combinations on the LX vs. the Sport, but the unsprung weight is probably a bit higher on the Sport. Also, the width of the Sport wheel is 8" vs. 7" on the LX. That opens up the possibility of increased rolling resistance, although that's a variable that depends on how the manufacturer designed the tire.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Didn't realize that the wheels were wider too. I could see all the changes accounting for 2 mpg or so. I'd like to drive a 6mt sport to see how easily it can be hypermiled

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OP, how many miles on your car? I'm asking because I've read on here that people are experiencing mpg increase once the engine is broken in.

I recently (as in yesterday) completed a 1,000 mile road trip. I was able to achieve 36.2mpg with econ turned on, 70mph, AC on, windows up, KN air filter. My car has 2500 miles. Also a 6mt sport. 2 adults and trunk full of luggage.
OK - mid-way back on the return trip. This time with ECON button on. I'll post final results later (because I forgot the gas receipts in the car) but the MPG appears to be about the same. I will say that with ECON on, AC off, and stuck in a 60 mph zone (which meant I was doing 65), the car was averaging about 36-37. But as soon as I brought it back up to between 75-79, MPG dropped right back down to 35. Again, those numbers are estimates until I do the math on the last couple of tanks.

The car has about 10,000 miles on it, so I think it's broken in.

I think your 36 is spot on to my observations. If I took the speed down from 78 to 70, I'm sure I could get at least 36.

Lastly, this is the longest I've left the ECON button on. My observation: it robs the car of any decent acceleration and in return gives you nothing. I'll finish this trip tomorrow with it on in the interest of science :smile but that will probably be the last time I ever use it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts