Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched to not avail.

I was wondering if anyone has removed their roof molding for any reason and would have pictures of what it looks like underneath (molding clips and inside the gutter). I'd like to see what's there, but I'm not willing to pull mine until I have some spare clips in hand (I broke a couple removing the molding on our Pilot to install the OEM roof rails).

The reason:
I'm trying to install a Whispbar roof rack to hold a couple bikes.

As far as racks go, the crossbars look awesome when set on the car. However, I'm not thrilled with the way the door clips attach to the car. They're much thicker than my old clips that I used with my old-style Yakima rack on my '98 Civic, and there's much more metal very close to the roof edge. I think it's a matter of time before they cause damage to the paint.

Therefore, I'm contemplating installing the permanent mounts if I can find a way to make them like the fixed point mounts you find on German cars or even like the CRV and Accord Crosstour. Ultimately, I'd love for the permanent mounts to be located under the roof molding, with only small holes in the molding to allow for attachment. These holes could be filled with a flush rubber plug when the rack is not installed leaving an essentially stock look.

That's my thought at the moment anyway, and any info would be much appreciated. If I go this route, I'll post a DIY.

·
2013 Accord Sport 6MT
139 Posts
I would be interested in hearing how you do this. I currently have the round bar setup with the door clips. To prevent paint damage I put clear bra under all the contact points.

Edit: Also Yakima came out with fit kits for their Whisper bars. So you can use the them on a standard naked roof on the Accord without drilling (You couldn't do this 2 years ago as they didn't develop this kit)

Edit 2: It also appears that if you do end up installing the Whisper Bar with fixed mounting points in the rain gutter, you can still end up with paint damage as the rubber feet sit on the outside of the rain gutter. Crud can work its way in and grind away. Of course this would be alleviated if you have factory bars that run front to back in the rain gutter and the Whisper bar installs on the bars.

Or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKdJoJHXAZ8

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Randy,

Actually, there has been a Whispbar fit kit for the 9th gen Accord sedan since at least mid-2013. I bought my '14 sedan in October '13 and I had already researched every possible rack option before purchasing the car.

Whispbar is actually a ProRack product out of New Zealand. Yakima has licensed the product for sale in the western markets. When I researched this rack in '13, the New Zealand ProRack site listed the fit kit K693, which had a PDF that specifically listed the US '13+ Accord sedan in addition other the same Accords in other markets (this was key because the Euro Accord essentially our Acura TSX; a different car and fit).

Roof Racks for Honda Accord 2014, 4 Door Sedan 2013 - 2015

After purchasing my car, multiple calls and e-mails with Yakima left me with little hope they'd offer the fit kit for my car anytime soon. Hell, I almost had a friend's family member who was traveling to New Zealand pick up a kit for me. :p

Anyway, Yakima finally listed the fit kit as available in the US as of a few weeks ago. I ordered my kit over the phone with ORS Racks Direct | Yakima-Thule Roof Rack, Truck Racks for Bike-Kayak-Skis etc.. They still don't have the kit listed on their site, but calling proved them super friendly and helpful. I highly recommend them.

The crossbars look great. Very well built and sturdy. I recognize that some rubber has to contact the paint. But periodic removal and cleaning will keep the paint in good shape. However, I'm not sure I'm impressed with the fit kit. The clips are much thicker than the standard Yakima clips that are used with the Q-towers and round bars. Additionally, the kit comes specific rubber feet, however they are harder than the standard rubber feel and have not contour for the gutter where they recommend the feet sit. In the end, I'll probably go this route and do something similar with clear bra material, however right now I'm wondering if I can engineer fixed mounts that leave the car look stock when the rack is removed.

Many Subarus, BMWs, Audis, etc. (and some Hondas like the CRV and Crosstour) have fixed points located in the gutter. You remove a cover and there's usually a welded bolt or fastener to which a rack can be attached. Usually those brands want to sell you a factory rack, but Thule, Yakima, and others make fit kits that use these fixed points as well.

Whispbar makes a permanent mount kit (K323; http://www.orsracksdirect.com/whispbar-k323-fit-kit.html) in which fixed points are riveted to the roof. I think it would nice to mount such fixed points within the gutter and then only small holes would need to be made in the molding which could be filled with a rubber plug when the rack isn't mounted.

That's my idea anyway, but I need to find out what's under the roof molding and I'm not willing to pull mine up until I have some spare clips as I anticipate them breaking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! I hadn't seen that yet.

Thanks for sharing, lokerola. I'll definitely check that out. Let us know if you order a set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts