Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
It looks awesome on white cars. I have the MSM and I'm not sure I'd want it on mine. Not to mention, I have a sun roof and it looks like it'd be horrible having to work around that.

·
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS
1,471 Posts
I think it would look nice, especially if you do some other black accents around the car. (badges, chrome deletes, etc.)

·
Yo Yo Ma
416 Posts
I have the same model and color as you been thinking about doing mine just finishing up the chrome on the rear of the car. I have vinyl wrapped and plasti dipped most of the chrome just have to figure out about the door handles and the chrome molding around the doors. If you do this upgrade, which would look great match it up with the rest of the car like sLAKERZ said.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Would a grey metallic look good with black glossy roof wrap?
Im not a fan of gloss finish, however i did wrap my roof. I used 3M Di-NOC vinyl and it worked mint. they have it in many colors and finishes and i highly recommend the product. these pics dont do it justice but it came out great. any blemishes you can see in the pic were due to the application gel. Real world it looks flawless.

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
@crmplex how did you work around the sunroof? Where are the seams?
To wrap a car with a sunroof, you just cut a hole in the center of the vinyl thats over that glass. Then you open the sunroof and cut the vinyl so theres a couple inches of slack all around. After you tuck the vinyl under the roof and cut any remaining vinyl. No seams. :thmsup:

·
Registered
841 Posts
I removed the Mohican strips (the moldings that go down the roof onto the windshield. Why they are called that I'll never know) before I layed the material down to hide the edges on the sides. I hid the front edge by tucking it under ther upper windshield seal. And I removed the XM antenna. As far as the moon roof, I left the roof open and covered my interior to protect it from the falling application gel. Layed the material down and cut the hole for the moonroof out. I left enough material to wrap it down the edges of the moon roof hole. The key to this stuff is using a heat gun. To much heat melts it and the whole thing is now garbage. Keep that in mind. But when u heat it just enough it can stretch around curves and such. It also "activates" the adhesive and makes it stick very well. But once u heat it and stick it, ur committed. I would practice heating and stretching on a small peice before u try anything.

There are two ways to do it. Plan to heat and stretch the vinyl over the entire roof, or make a "relief" cut to avoid stretching it. (Mine is 3" long and hidden very well. I chose to make a relief cut because of the carbon fiber pattern. I feared that if I stretched it it would make the pattern wavy. My cut would only be noticeable to the person who made it. The roof came out great.

I should add, that I don't work with vinyl for a living, so this job SUCKED for me. It took me a long time and it was very difficult to get it perfect. I'm a perfectionist by nature. If I had to do it over again, I would pay someone. I spent $110 in material. I was quoted $300 by a shop for material and the install. Now that it's done I'm glad I did it cause I have the bragging rights, but as I said I would pay to have it done again if I had too. Also if I didn't have another guy helping me I think it would have been a failure.

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Hmm, if I ever want it I'll have to pay for installation. Sounds like a job I wouldn't want to do.
I wrapped my interior trim and my fingers are still sore 2 years later j/k. Correct, it is a job you do not want-let a pro do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts