Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick backstory - 11 Accord EX-L 63K miles on - had to catch a flight early Monday (was like 92 degrees here in NC) and low fuel light was on (I know, I know, normally fill up at 3/4th empty but time was critical). Parked car on top of parking deck and went upon my business.

Upon return yesterday, started car up (no issues except for low fuel light) and car engine was rough. It seemed to just perform horrible. Hesitation, slight vibrations, everything. I might add the weather was now 51 degrees and cool.

The issue seemed to resolve itself once the engine warmed up - which was coincidentally right when I got to the gas station.

Any ideas? Oil Level was good. Was just changed two weeks prior.

Had no issues today. Engine threw no codes or anything but, was def. a decrease in performance.

Fuel used is normally BP or Shell.

Thoughts?

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
How low was the needle? Engine-dying empty is with the needle halfway below the line for E (where the top half of the needle is still within the E line).

Also going up the parking garage ramps probably sloshed the fuel you had left out of the pump inlet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yep sounds like it may have been on fumes. That's what mine did just before my fuel pump went out but I used to do the whole run it on empty a lot so I'm sure my pump was toast. Fill it up when it get to half way now lol much cheaper than getting a new pump in trust me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was just above the line for E. It only took 16.2 gallons when I filled it up.

Just curious - do you guys suggest putting some fuel system cleaner in? To my knowledge, it's never been done and the dealer pushed it on me last time I was there. I get a good 25mpg mixed between city and highway, but, didn't know if it could do more harm than good at this point.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
I dump in a bottle of Redline SI-1 every 6 months doesn't seem to hurt anything. I figure its part of keeping everything tip top.

16.2 gallons wouldn't be completely empty. 16.8 or so is really empty. >17 only happens if you're empty and pointed downhill when filling up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts