Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been half a year since I have put in new lowering springs on my 8th gen Accord Coupe. Lowered about an inch and a half. Its been riding rough, added in spacers and those helped, but fell out a few months later. Now I'm worried if I should change tires or change the shock and struts. Also what type of tires and shocks should I get.
Thanks for the help!

· mobiless2
2,201 Posts
Did you install lowering springs on stock shocks? If so they are blown causing rough ride.

· Registered
509 Posts
many people run springs on stock shocks for a long time and they're perfectly fine. If you don't know if you should check your tires, i'd start by checking the wear on them. Did you ever get an alignment?

There are a few reasons that the ride could be rough. I don't see how spacers would have helped at all. Have any pics of your setup/tires/struts?

· Registered
475 Posts
Springs are going to be rough and bouncy if your comparing them to stock. If they have been like that since you installed them and your tires are good then tats just how they are going to ride. Invest in coilovers if you want it to ride better.

· mobiless2
2,201 Posts
Depending on were you live, if you have lots of pot holes. Then yes your shocks will degrade over time.

Springs are not bouncy, if paired correctly with shocks meant for lowered springs.

Option one is install shock meant for lowered springs like Koni Yellow, option two change out to coil overs.

· ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
13,423 Posts
If the ride is now rougher than it was when you first got the springs installed, there are a few likely causes.
  1. Your lowering springs are sagging. Can happen with cheap/low quality springs. The sagging springs are reducing the amount of suspension travel and damping. You could be bottoming out. Solution would be to replace springs.
  2. If the springs aren't sagging, then the springs lowered the car too much... more than what the stock shocks can handle and you don't have enough suspension travel and are bottoming out. Solution would be to cut the bump stops in half (if they aren't already) so you'll have more suspension travel and not bottom out so easily, or replace the shocks with ones designed for lowering springs.
  3. Your shocks are blown.
  4. Wheel/tire is out of balance or tire is damaged.
  5. All of the above.

If you don't know if you should check your tires, i'd start by checking the wear on them.
Worn out tires (low tread) shouldn't cause a "rough ride". Maybe if the tires are damaged (ex. steel belt) or failing (ex. separating), out of round, out of balance, or over inflated.

I don't see how spacers would have helped at all.
Spacers will raise the ride height.

A higher ride height = less likely to blow out stock shocks from excessive lowering.

A higher ride height = more suspension travel. More suspension travel = less likely to bottom out. Bottoming out = rough ride.

Attachments

· ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
13,423 Posts
Im thinking about getting KYB Excel shock and struts. Any opinions of them or ideas if it'll make my car ride better?
KYB Excel's are OEM replacements. Not designed for lowering springs. If the rough ride problem is because you blew your stock shocks, you'll blow these too.

You want Koni Sports (~ $600) or sell everything and get coilovers, though no coilover at the $600 (or even $900) price point will perform as well or offer a lifetime warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.