Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know, it's getting super chilly these days in midwest, with temperatures falling to 0 Farenheit and below. When I start my car cold and start driving in a few seconds, for the first couple of minutes the shifts on the automatic 5 speed gearbox are kind of rough and long in between. As the car warms up, the shifts become smoother and faster.

Given all the problematic transmissions on Hondas, do I need to worry? I got the transmission fluid replaced at the dealer a few months ago, although I doubt they have done a tripple drain & fill. I have never changed the transmission filter either. I do intend to do a tripple drain and fill, change the transmission filter and possibly add some lubegard red to the honda DW-1 (would you recommend it?) while I'm at it, and maybe even change the shifting sensors as a preventive maintenane. BUT, when it gets a bit warmer. My garage is very very cold these days, and I don't fancy working on the car with frozen hands unless I absolutely have to.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
When's the last time you did a drain and fill? Anything with fluid in it will be rough/slow/etc. when the weather is this cold unless you bought fluids where these temperatures are in the middle of the range, not on the extreme.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
how many miles on this pig?

there really is no need to throw a lot of money out the window by letting the dealer do the drain and fills, unless you just don't want to do it yourself. it is easier than changing the oil.
I did my first D&f last weekend and I can vouch for this, do it yourself, easy, cheap and you know you did it right.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Check the level first. If ok, then drain and fill with honda transmission fluid a couple of times.

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
The same thing happens to me when I start and go right away. It only happens the first time I cycle through the gears. I usually keep the RPMs as low as possible when I do have to go without warming it up.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Mine is perfectly fine after I had a few ATF drain+fills done. Supposedly DW1 is better in cold weather than the old ATF-Z1.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I recently done 3 drain+ fills with dw1. It shifts better but I still can feel the 1-2 sometimes. I read a lot abt Lubegard, already ordered and will update the result next week:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how many miles on this pig?

there really is no need to throw a lot of money out the window by letting the dealer do the drain and fills, unless you just don't want to do it yourself. it is easier than changing the oil.
This pig happens to be my precioussssss!!!! Seriously, I like this car and do all the preventive maintenance. In return, it has never failed on me on the road, knock on wood! It has 165353 miles on it, and goes strong! (Look at my signature)

I have only recently started doing all the services I can myself, and started with a full brake job a few weeks ago. Needless to say, I'll do the transmission fluid drain and fill myself next. I plan to do so in March when the weather gets warmer. I'm just worried if I might damage the transmission by putting it off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When's the last time you did a drain and fill? Anything with fluid in it will be rough/slow/etc. when the weather is this cold unless you bought fluids where these temperatures are in the middle of the range, not on the extreme.
A few months back, say 8 months, and roughly 10k miles ago. But, I had never done it before (I know, shame on me), and he car has 165k miles on it.

Can you give examples? I thought we should only use Honda DW-1 in it?!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I recently done 3 drain+ fills with dw1. It shifts better but I still can feel the 1-2 sometimes. I read a lot abt Lubegard, already ordered and will update the result next week:)
Great, please do report back.

By the way, apparently there was some confusion on whether to use lubegard red or black with DW-1 on this forum. Which one did you choose?

·
Registered
804 Posts
i thought rough shifting for these car were normal in extreme temps.. im not saying acceptable.... but normal. i know my 05 v6 does this. alot of people dont agree with letting it idle for to long, but if its single digits or below Zero, i let my car idle for a while to try and get the transmission fluid (through the transmission warmer) to Not be the same temperature as it is outside.. btw i also read, ( and i wished i bookmarked it) a site where the NHTSA was getting a report from acura about the transmission failure rates.. in this report one of the engineers talks about the Extra wear and tear that could be cause by driving with these transmission when the fluid is Really cold. and all they could say was.... when First driving in cold weather one should take it easy until the car reaches normal operating temps.

·
Mike
779 Posts
btw i also read, ( and i wished i bookmarked it) a site where the NHTSA was getting a report from acura about the transmission failure rates.. in this report one of the engineers talks about the Extra wear and tear that could be cause by driving with these transmission when the fluid is Really cold. and all they could say was.... when First driving in cold weather one should take it easy until the car reaches normal operating temps.
That is correct, the problem was with, as you suggest, a more aggressive driving style that was to be avoided until the engine warmed. It caused clutch faces to wear quickly. These transmissions have an inbuilt temperature sensor and shift logic is modified ( longer gear hold times etc. ) until the trans is warm. Having said that, I've been running Redline D4 synthetic for many years (back when people argued that Hondas Z1 was the only oil you could use :lmao:) and once the pressure switches were replaced there was almost no noticeable difference in shift quality at freezing point temps.

·
2006 I4 MT
1,686 Posts
I've been reading about these cold temps the MW, SW, East and SE people are experiencing on other forums. This rough shifting is being complained for all types of different cars/trucks right now.

I don't think starting the car and trying to drive off right away is a good idea with those temps :paranoid:

·
Registered
133 Posts
That is correct, the problem was with, as you suggest, a more aggressive driving style that was to be avoided until the engine warmed. It caused clutch faces to wear quickly. These transmissions have an inbuilt temperature sensor and shift logic is modified ( longer gear hold times etc. ) until the trans is warm. Having said that, I've been running Redline D4 synthetic for many years (back when people argued that Hondas Z1 was the only oil you could use :lmao:) and once the pressure switches were replaced there was almost no noticeable difference in shift quality at freezing point temps.
I have also noticed the transmission holding 2nd more, during these last days with the temperature going below zero Fahrenheit.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I have also noticed the transmission holding 2nd more, during these last days with the temperature going below zero Fahrenheit.
Having driven many mornings in single digit temps, I felt no difference in shifting. Smooth and consistent... always. I always keep revs low for the first half mile or so. i4

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great, please do report back.

By the way, apparently there was some confusion on whether to use lubegard red or black with DW-1 on this forum. Which one did you choose?
I got the red, dont know if I need to get some atf out first before adding lubegard, otherwise it will be overfilled?. hope it works well with my car like other people said

·
Mike
779 Posts
If everything is working correctly in the V6 5AT you will notice this and a change in shift feel between 2nd and 3rd, 3rd will hold off shifting into 4th until a very noticeable Speed point increase.

As 2006accord4 said, lot of different trans get harsh or shift differently in the cold. Most auto transmissions these days incorporate an internal temp sensor and until the trans is warm, change TQ lockup and shift logic, etc.

G

·
Same issues I am having. When the tranny is cold, the shots are harder. I have done 5 drain and fills since last year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts