Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Motor City
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. I havent really noticed this before on my 2010 EXL v4 just noticed it yesterday but when I start the car the RPM's raise to 1,500 and stay there until the engine warms up and once it warms up it falls under 1,000. Is this normal?

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
I believe this is normal, there is probably a preset temperature that the engine needs to get to, then the rpms will drop down. That's just what I read about some cars, I haven't really paid attention, but I know it does it on the pickup truck we have at work.

·
Motor City
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ohh okay good! happy to hear that because it doesn't even have 1000 miles on it yet and I got it with 1.3

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sounds normal, just give the engine time to warm up before you put it in gear. Pretty cool that when you got it the car only had 1.3 miles on it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mine does this as well....love the way it sounds at this higher idle with my exhaust.

SB

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts

Just a friendly reminder, not trying to be rude, but the engine has 4 cylinders in a straight line, so it is an in-line 4 or I-4.

Only motorcycles have v4 engines.

·
Electro-Motive
462 Posts

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
17,460 Posts
when the car is cold, the car runs at a fast idle. this helps to warm up the car faster, to prevent stalling, and for emissions purposes regarding the cat. converter....

back in the day, this was done by a manual choke knob on the dashboard.... but, with the technology advances of computers and fuel injection, it's all done electronically now...

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
All cars do this to a degree, it's normal.

Ah, a choke, I wonder how many people even know what a choke is anymore, even lawnmower and snowblower have auto chokes now.

·
Motor City
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Ah, a choke, I wonder how many people even know what a choke is anymore, even lawnmower and snowblower have auto chokes now.
Yah, I still have a lawnmower with a choke:lmao:

Sounds normal, just give the engine time to warm up before you put it in gear. Pretty cool that when you got it the car only had 1.3 miles on it.
got that part covered always give it some time:thmsup: & yeah I never thought I would get one with 1 mile on it never heard of anyone getting less then 1.3

·
Registered
18 Posts

My snowblower has a choke, but not many people understand how that works. I remember my Dad's old truck having a choke and working it to get the truck started.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My snowblower has a choke, but not many people understand how that works. I remember my Dad's old truck having a choke and working it to get the truck started.
That took me back, my dad's old truck when I was kid had a choke, and the button on the floor you stepped on to change from high beams to low beams.......

·
Registered
682 Posts
I thought warm-up periods were no longer required. I thought it was best to simply drive off once the engine has started.

·
niiice!
347 Posts
thats never best yukfoo... its not totally required on new cars.. but some day when that car gets older youd wish you warmed up the ride when it was new... i guess it might extend the life of your car if you have a little patience with your ride but its not 'required'

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
It is actually BETTER now to start your car on a cold day and drive off - not fast, but do drive off as soon as you start it.

The engine management systems on modern cars is designed so you can drive off on a cold engine and it will warm properly.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
17,460 Posts
That took me back, my dad's old truck when I was kid had a choke, and the button on the floor you stepped on to change from high beams to low beams.......
the last car that i have been in that had the high beams on the floor was my dad's 85 F-150....

·
09ACCORDCOUPE
599 Posts
Cold Fast Idle

It's called cold fast idle. The rmps at cold idle are controlled by various computer sensors like air/temp and oxygen. It's normal, so long as your rpms eventually go back to normal. You should omly worry if it stays stuck at that higher cold fast idle and never comes down to normal rpms. you're good,:thmsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts