Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My accord is only 5-month old. After the summer, I find the rubber seal of the four doors decays in the corner area. The decaying parts are all at the corner of the doors (see the whitened seal in picture (1) and (2)). I have also noticed that some rubber adhering to the car body (see the black marks on the body and the corresponding whitened rubber in picture (3)).

I find that the seal on the corner is a different piece of rubber than that on the border. I can clearly see and feel the rubber joint between. And all the corner rubber seal gets whitened but not the corner rubber. My first thought is that the corner rubber is not as good as the border one but I might be wrong....

Does it happen to everyone's accord? If not, should I ask the dealer to replace the seal for me since it is still in its warranty?

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just curious, what makes you think the seal is decaying? Simply the change in color?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I have a coupe and I haven't noticed that the rubber seal has changed at all. Of course I only have two doors so the possibly is reduced by 50%. The best advice it to take the car to the dealer and have them replace the door seal.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The fact that the rubber on the corner turns white while the rubber seal elsewhere remains black, as you can see in the picture.
Isn't your car white? Couldn't it just be the paint rubbing against the seal?

·
13 Bagged Accord EXL V6
230 Posts
Or if you have had it detailed it could be from the wax. Vinyl cleaner should make that look new.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isn't your car white? Couldn't it just be the paint rubbing against the seal?
I doubt that because that the seal on the border does not turn white.

I saw that you also owned a white accord. Do you have this issue?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Have you taken it to your dealer yet? What did they say about it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you taken it to your dealer yet? What did they say about it?
No. My dealer is far away from where I live. I am afraid that they may insist that this is normal anyway.

By the way, for a car still in its full-warranty, do I need to take the car to the dealer that I bought the car from to solve this kind of issues or any certified Honda dealer is fine?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
You can take it to any Honda dealer. I have noticed this discoloration on mine as well, but I don't know that it is decay as I don't see the rubber physically deteriorating. Maybe some kind of oxidation? I have a black car, so I wouldn't be able to tell if any rubber is coming off onto the paint without really looking closely.

·
Registered
310 Posts
+1 on the Einszett Gummi Pflege. I've used it for years and have never had any issues.

Any Honda authorized service center can tackle this.

·
Registered
916 Posts
This is abnormal. Take it to any Honda dealer and they will fix it. My seals look nothing like that. If it is gumming up and sticking to the paint that is a sign that it is going bad. Must be a bad batch.

Don't let them tell you it is normal. It is not. EPDM rubber should last a lifetime without these kind of issues.

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
I have a whitish glaze on the rubber in the corners but nothing at all on the paint (the white glaze is easily removed with a damp cloth). Appears from the pictures some of your rubber has separated and deposited on to your paint which I'd think is abnormal, mine has no signs of that at all and the car is coming up on 1 year old. Take it to your closest dealer, and if you get the "this is normal" routine, tell them you plan to contact Honda customer relations about what appears to be a quality control issue.

·
Registered
588 Posts
It is normal process but that should not happened so soon.
I've noticed the same thing with my last Accord after 3-4 years of ownership (and I don't garage my cars).

P.S.> Another unpleasant fact I discovered on my new Accord that internal lip on all rims is already corroded because it is not protected by any coating. And it is not even a winter time. I could only fear what will happen to the rims after our New England salty winter!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pilm1112 and Dudley,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will take my car to the nearest dealer.

How do you think will the dealer fix it? Since all the door corners become white, I hope they can replace the rubber seal of all the doors. What if they just paint the corner rubber black (or use whatever tricks to cover the issue with the original rubber seal)?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I doubt that because that the seal on the border does not turn white.

I saw that you also owned a white accord. Do you have this issue?
Yes, I do. There are seams and the pieces at the corners are different (thicker). No reason to think there is anything wrong. The dealer will just wipe it with vinyl cleaner and tell you it is fixed (normal).

·
Registered
916 Posts
Pilm1112 and Dudley,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will take my car to the nearest dealer.

How do you think will the dealer fix it? Since all the door corners become white, I hope they can replace the rubber seal of all the doors. What if they just paint the corner rubber black (or use whatever tricks to cover the issue with the original rubber seal)?
They should replace the entire seal on all the doors where the rubber is losing integrity. The seals are made from straight pieces that are connected to the corner pieces. The very fact that the straight pieces are not having any problems proves that the corners are not acting normally. The whitish residue is not too much of a problem if it is light and not effecting the consistency of the rubber, but the rubber turning soft is a larger problem.

The rubber corners were probably made from a different batch that was defective.

Not really that expensive an item. A good dealer should be happy to help you out.

FWIW. The rubber on my '07 Accord is still like new.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts