Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got my wife's I4 last week. After driving it around the first night I noticed the engine bay was running very hot when we got it home, to the point where you could barely touch the hood prop. I wasn't sure if it was normal for the 4 cylinder accord to run that hot so I checked the coolant level the next morning before she had to leave for work and sure enough the reservoir was just below the minimum fill line.

All I had on hand was DexCool 50/50 so I filled the reservoir back up to max so she could make it to work without problems. I know the manual says you can get by temporarily with a mixture but recommends flushing and refilling with the Honda stuff asap. Normally I would listen to the manual but I'm not too familiar with the "Honda stuff" and was wondering how urgent a flush would be. Its not easy to get it to the dealership with our work hours. I could do it myself too if the procedure isn't too tough.

Again, I'm still fairly new to Honda ownership and I've looked for more info already but theres not much out there so far for the 9th gens and even the service tech I talked to on the phone didn't seem to know if it was necessary. What do you guys think?

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
You want Honda's "blue" coolant in there, nothing else. Part number is OL999-9011A and is $15.38 with free shipping from Curry Acura in Scarsdale, NY

Yes, the "drain and fill" procedure is rather easy and you can do it yourself with nothing but a Phillips screwdriver and a small pliers. You will need 2 gallons of coolant- even though a drain and fill will use appx 1 and 1/3 gallons of coolant.

You don't have to do it today, but please do it in the next week or so.

Were you leaking coolant or was the car not properly prepped for you at the time your wife picked up the Accord?

Please be careful in disposal of that coolant as is tastes "sweet"- attracting dogs, cats, etc....it is deadly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was no leaking, I'm guessing it just wasn't prepped correctly. I will get some of that coolant and replace it this weekend then, and I won't kill any cats. Thanks for the tip

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Ha ha ha on the cats!

The Honda petc0ck valve is plastic and is located 14" back, dead center, from your front bumper. There is a little "cut out" in the lower black plastic liner that protects the engine and trans from dirt and debris kicked up. The white plastic petc0ck valve is within that cutout.

Honda designed it so that when you remove the radiator cap, air flows in as you drain the coolant out from the bottom. The trick with the valve is to not unscrew it all the way out (otherwise the coolant will really come out fast and splash all over), but just a few turns until you see a steady stream of coolant coming out. If you do that, you won't need a towel or spill so much as a drop of coolant. I found out the hard way- I unscrewed it all the way and got covered in blue coolant- suddenly squirrels and stray dogs wanted to be friends.

Anyhow, the Phillips screwdriver is for your overflow reservoir. If any of the non-Honda coolant is in there, you just need to unscrew one screw and dump out that container before replacing with Honda's blue coolant.

You won't have to worry about air in the system as long as you re-fill slowly. Honda radiators are "over-engineered" and have lots of passageways.

I know you wrench your Z28 so this should be a 25 minute job for you....but hit me up if you have questions.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Knowing what I know about GM Dex-Cool I would get it out of your car ASAP. I had some bad experiences with it in 90s GM products.

Jay

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Mine sits below the minimum line since the day I bought it, 1/1/13. No problem since. I need to do an oil change, I will ask Honda dealership to pour in the Honda blue coolant while I'm there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
We just got my wife's I4 last week. After driving it around the first night I noticed the engine bay was running very hot when we got it home, to the point where you could barely touch the hood prop. I wasn't sure if it was normal for the 4 cylinder accord to run that hot so I checked the coolant level the next morning before she had to leave for work and sure enough the reservoir was just below the minimum fill line.

All I had on hand was DexCool 50/50 so I filled the reservoir back up to max so she could make it to work without problems. I know the manual says you can get by temporarily with a mixture but recommends flushing and refilling with the Honda stuff asap. Normally I would listen to the manual but I'm not too familiar with the "Honda stuff" and was wondering how urgent a flush would be. Its not easy to get it to the dealership with our work hours. I could do it myself too if the procedure isn't too tough.

Again, I'm still fairly new to Honda ownership and I've looked for more info already but theres not much out there so far for the 9th gens and even the service tech I talked to on the phone didn't seem to know if it was necessary. What do you guys think?
What did the temperature gauge read? If the car was not running hot or was overheating why would you check the coolant level?

I would take the car to the dealer where you purchased it and tell them that they didn't service or make ready the coolant level correctly so you added the non Honda coolant so she could make it to work. Have them flush the system and refill it properly with the Honda coolant because they didn't do their job correctly. Why should you have to purchase the coolant and crawl around under the car and then dispose of the coolant?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Knowing what I know about GM Dex-Cool I would get it out of your car ASAP. I had some bad experiences with it in 90s GM products.

Jay
Well the stuff has worked great for me in all my chevys I've owned but since we are talking about Hondas now I will get it out ASAP. I guess I'll have to keep two kinds of coolant on hand from now on, I can live with that.

Mine sits below the minimum line since the day I bought it, 1/1/13. No problem since. I need to do an oil change, I will ask Honda dealership to pour in the Honda blue coolant while I'm there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I may have been over cautious but I was surprised at how hot everything felt the first night and didn't want any overheating problems on the way to work the next day.

Flyboy: It was not overheating but I wanted to check out the engine when we got home just to see the goods and the amount of heat shocked me. Good point about having the dealer do it, I would get some enjoyment out of doing it myself but there are better things I could do and disposing of fluids is a pain.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Remember the catalytic converter is right at front center bolted to the head, lots of heat coming off that! You may also want to make sure your cooling fans are working.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mine was at the min mark when I got it too, a little distilled water and was good to go.
This is what Dex-cool does to cooling systems, I would piss in my rad before putting that in anything I drive....

·
4,339 Posts
You guys are checking level when the engine is at operating temperature, right? The Owners Manual says to check at each refuel which I take to mean you should be checking on an engine at operating tempetature. The readings will be different on a hot and cold engine.

Jay

·
Registered
916 Posts
Dexcool is fine on its own in cars that are designed for it, but mixing it is what causes problems. From what I gather it can turn things rather sludgy. So, yes get it out sooner rather than later. Always have some blue Honda coolant on hand for those little adds that it may need on occasion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Remember the catalytic converter is right at front center bolted to the head, lots of heat coming off that! You may also want to make sure your cooling fans are working.
That's good to know, I never thought about that.

Mine was at the min mark when I got it too, a little distilled water and was good to go.
This is what Dex-cool does to cooling systems, I would piss in my rad before putting that in anything I drive....
:eek: Aghhhhhh!

·
Registered
203 Posts
^^^ hehe. From what I understand it's an issue of both mixing the coolants and/or exposing the DC to air that caused the sludging problems. Those systems were sealed IIRC. Still a shoddy coolant in my opinion....

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters....it's bad to mix.

·
4,339 Posts
Dexcool is fine on its own in cars that are designed for it, but mixing it is what causes problems. From what I gather it can turn things rather sludgy. So, yes get it out sooner rather than later. Always have some blue Honda coolant on hand for those little adds that it may need on occasion.
In the end, and GM will never admit it, it was found that Dex-Cool can only be used on closed systems. Closed systems are systems that have the cap on the expansion tank and not the Radiator. Exposure to air is what does Dex-Cool in. Dex-Cool is the reason for so many intake gasket failures in the late 90s on GM cars.

IIRC our lil Hondas have the Rad Cap on the radiator.

EDIT: DevilDogDoc beat me to it...

Jay

·
Registered
884 Posts
You shouldn't run with mixed coolant. You could fall down and spill it all over.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts