Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm noticing more occurences of rust on my 2008 CPO accord than my old 1989 accord. Both were the white color.

I have rust forming near the door jams, along the trunk lid, and in a couple forward facing areas which are the only ones that were likely caused by rocks/road-debris. I noticed 4 or 5 rust spots, mostly where the front of the hood meets the grill, while checking my oil today (only good news is that I haven't consumed any oil in the last 1.3k miles).

Is anybody else having trouble with rust on their vehicle? Honestly, I can't tell how many of these spots are new and how many came with the vehicle. I'm sure they're all getting worse. I haven't been rough on areas like the trunk or door jams. I never really even use the trunk. I figured a relatively younger car would not have these problems and thought some of this cosmetic stuff was supposed to be certified as well with a CPO Honda. Oh well, take care of your paint!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Have a 08 and looks like it off the so room yestorday
Ok, I have read this 5 times and have no idea what it means in English. :dunno:

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Various bits of the undercarriage have rust going on for me. They couldn't use stainless and aluminum everywhere :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
No rust, but a whole bunch of white speckles are showing up on the hood where the paint is gone and the primer is showing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^-----this guy parks a half mile away from his destinations and his car is going to be covered in ding-free rust by year 3 :(

·
Honda Nation
1,678 Posts
Four and a half years in Cleveland winters and still not a spec of rust on the body.

Now, I do have surface rust on suspension components, the drive shafts have some surface rust, and a little on the exhaust manifolds and the like. But otherwise the undercarriage is clean too.

I wash my car myself during summer, but I do make it a point to take it to the one really good carwash by me once per month to get the underside cleaned.

In winter I go once per week and get the underside cleaned.

The absolute best deterrent to rust is to keep the car CLEAN. I will gladly trade some surface scratches made from the car wash bristles that you really can only see if you absolutely squint and look at the right angle in the right light in return for no rust. It doesn't take long in Cleveland for a car to start rusting. But I will say, car companies in general have been doing a much better job in treating the metal and dipping the bodies in a very good sealant pre-paint during production.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Within my first year owning the car. I found a rust spot in on the driverside door. Took it in to the dealership to have it fix.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Four and a half years in Cleveland winters and still not a spec of rust on the body.

Now, I do have surface rust on suspension components, the drive shafts have some surface rust, and a little on the exhaust manifolds and the like. But otherwise the undercarriage is clean too.

I wash my car myself during summer, but I do make it a point to take it to the one really good carwash by me once per month to get the underside cleaned.

In winter I go once per week and get the underside cleaned.

The absolute best deterrent to rust is to keep the car CLEAN. I will gladly trade some surface scratches made from the car wash bristles that you really can only see if you absolutely squint and look at the right angle in the right light in return for no rust. It doesn't take long in Cleveland for a car to start rusting. But I will say, car companies in general have been doing a much better job in treating the metal and dipping the bodies in a very good sealant pre-paint during production.
I've found washing my car has contributed to similar rust you've seen...suspension bits here and there...a few bolts, etc. The bolts on the front of my AC compressor I'll be amazed if they could even be removed without stripping. It doesn't really rain or "winter" here in AZ (I'm wearing shorts still as I type this), so washing my car frequently is really the only explanation. Agree though, they've gotten good at making sure the important bits don't rust (easily).

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Within my first year owning the car. I found a rust spot in on the driverside door. Took it in to the dealership to have it fix.
I might have to do just that once I return to have the blower motor replaced. I'm noticing one on the driver side door sill and a few spots (1/4 cm) that seem to be emanating from the door bottoms both on the passenger and driver side.

It's now past the third year but hopefully they can do something about that because I bought extended warranty and it seems to be starting internally since no rock or stone would chip that part off while the doors are shut. :)

Didn't know I had 5 years: :)

Rust Perforation
5 years / No Distance Limit
http://www.honda.ca/owners/warranty/standard-warranty

·
NOOB
53 Posts
1 1/2 yrs. in horrible Canadian winter where they put salt EVERYWHERE and *knock on wood* no rust yet. I wash my car weekly in winter (including underside) and monthly in the summer. I also detail the car and wash it using no-rinse car wash, which is a laborious process but it seems to be working so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts