Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Bought a new 2013 Accord Sport over the summer in Orchid White.

Had it washed for the second time since the snow started. The car is full of tiny specs of rust.

Now these specs of rust seem to be in the paint itself since there are some on the rear bumper and not only metal area.

Are there known problems with Orchid White? Is it possible the metallic finish in the paint is rusting?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
As others have mentioned, it is most likely rail dust, brake dust, or other metallic industrial fallout that has bonded to the paint. Products like Ferrous Dueller or IronX will take care of it. If you detail your own car, do this step after you wash and before you clay. A good sealant or coating on the paint afterwards should help minimize this going forward. If you don't have much exposure to rail dust or heavy fallout, it could just be from the transportation process from factory to dealer.

Use the Iron remover products on your wheels also, at least once per year or so to remove the metallic particles from the brake pads. Good idea to put a sealant or coating on your wheels also. I like to use Sonax Full Effect on wheels.

·
4,637 Posts
Forgot to mention earlier I had emailed AG about which product didn't have such strong fumes:

"Hello, I would recommend using Dodo Juice's Iron Remover. It does not have the strong smell that Iron X does but works just as well."

Otherwise, there's a strong sulfer smell to deal with which isn't pleasant.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
As a Zaino user, the recommendation is to do an initial wash with original blue liquid Dawn dish detergent. Follow with washing with your favorite car wash. Next, CLAY the car, that will safely remove rail dust and other grit without damaging the paint and no smelly harsh chemicals. Clay before waxing also. Ever notice your white wax applicator pad turns grey? That is grit and grime that was not removed with simple washing without clay that is being ground into the finish-swirl city.

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yes, that's either rail dust/chemical fallout/brake dust. Easiest fix would be to use iron-x. You could also use a paint cleaner/polish. You could also use a claybar.

I used to own a white car and in some ways its as difficult to keep clean as a black car. These things show up very easily on a white car b/c of the contrast.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
clay and polish will not remove below surface contaminants such as this. If you want to get rid of it, you need to wash, IronX, then clay, then polish.

·
Registered
414 Posts
clay and polish will not remove below surface contaminants such as this. If you want to get rid of it, you need to wash, IronX, then clay, then polish.
Actually, what you want to do if you want to get it 100% off is:

1) Spray the car down with Iron-X and let it do its job for a few minutes
2) Wash the car with a foam gun and use the 2 bucket method
3) While the car is still wet, foam it again
4) While the second layer of foam is on the car, clay bar the car
5) Rinse the car off
6) Dry using a damp microfiber cloth and detail spray
7) Apply a polish/cleaner such as Zaino ZAIO
8) Apply sealant like Zaino Z2, Z5, or Z-CS

The End.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Many different ways to approach a decon step when detailing a car. Just did my buddy's white pearl Milan Hybrid. I detail it once or twice a year and every time it is covered in iron fallout. Must be the Mercury/Ford brake pads. Here was my paint decon:

1. Foam with mix of CG Citrus Wash Red and Megs APC with output ratio of chemicals to water of 1:128 in a foam gun. Let dwell.
2. Power Rinse
3. Foam each panel and wash with MF mitt, rinse bucket with grit guard, power rinse each panel.
4. IronX 2-3 panels at a time, let it work for 2-3 minutes, then power rinse, then on to next 2-3 panels. It was early evening, cloudy and humid, so I got pretty good dwell time.
5. Nanoskin fine grade mitt one panel at a time with BF rinseless wash diluted to clay lube strength, power rinse each panel after and rinse the face of the mitt
6. One final power rinse around the whole car, then flood rinse

Decon done. The paint was already back to a brilliant white, smooth, and gloss had returned.

Nothing wrong with using foam wash to clay either, but CGCW Red and APC are not what I would call cleaners with much lubricity, so in my situation, I use a separate clay lube.

Then it was polished (Menz PF2500...pretty hard clear coat), IPA wipedown, and sealed with BF Wet Diamond followed with 2 coats of BF Crystal Seal. It will get another decon and Collinite 845 before the winter.

A sealant will help reduce the amount of fallout that embeds in the paint, but that is about it. If you are real ambitious, you can add a coat of wax once a month on top of the sealant.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got 2013 Accord Sport hood starts rusting inside out its not rock chip (one is above it). Honda only will paint it under warranty won`t replace hood. Huge disappointment from honda quality of material or craftsmanship. First they tray to tell me if it was cause by rock chip but after inspection under light at body shop they work with they admitted if s rusting inside out.

Attachments

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
1,886 Posts
I got 2013 Accord Sport hood starts rusting inside out its not rock chip (one is above it). Honda only will paint it under warranty won`t replace hood. Huge disappointment from honda quality of material or craftsmanship. First they tray to tell me if it was cause by rock chip but after inspection under light at body shop they work with they admitted if s rusting inside out.
Had something similar on my 2005 TSX... Acura painted the hood under warranty but refused to blend the fenders so I had to pay $200 out of pocket for that. :|

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was told in first place they will replace hood for new one then they change minds and told me if they will paint it only. I hope they will blend it too .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts