Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the great white north. We get winter and we get it good which means lots of salt on the roads. I am contemplating rust proofing my 13 EXL. Anyone else rust proofed? In Canada, RustCheck has always had a great product, I have used it on other cars I have owned. Its a premium rust proofing product but this stuff really works.

The hole drilling is hard to take, hard to listen to your new car getting drilled for access holes. But better than looking at rust if it ever happened.

Anyone rust proofed their new Accord yet? What did you do?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would say that ALL new cars are rust proofed for at least 10 years of harsher than normal climate. You do not or at least in Philly area you do not see to many rusted out bottoms of doors on car anymore.

My best advise would be to get the salt and road grime off your car as soon as you can and not let it sit. Also, keep up on waxing and washing you car.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I live in the great white north. We get winter and we get it good which means lots of salt on the roads. I am contemplating rust proofing my 13 EXL. Anyone else rust proofed? In Canada, RustCheck has always had a great product, I have used it on other cars I have owned. Its a premium rust proofing product but this stuff really works.

The hole drilling is hard to take, hard to listen to your new car getting drilled for access holes. But better than looking at rust if it ever happened.

Yes, I did. I had Rust Cop applied to mine. The are head quartered in Buffalo and have a satellite shop near me.

I used Rust Check applied to my magnum for first 5 of my 7 years of ownership. Great stuff! Still rust free after two years of no application.

Jay

·
Registered
159 Posts
IMO, save your money. Modern cars are made using galvanized steel and come with rustproofing from the factory. It's outdated advice, like having to change your oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just had mine done at Krown last week. Had all my cars done there with great results. And they offer a lifetime warranty if its a new car being sprayed.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Wait, people rust proof new cars?

lol

·
Banned
308 Posts
12 yr old bmw and the only rust is on a few parts of the undercarriage area and subframe.

I thought that third party rustproof was actually worse because you can create cavities where the saltwater can get trapped and that makes it even worse.

Question for people though.... To remove salt do you all just take a hose on whatever powerful spray pattern and just shoot it up under the car as best you can?

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Chaos! Welcome back!

I can see a need for the underside of the car- such as suspension bolts, exhaust hangers, etc...but not the body- unless you were in an accident and the "good" people at Macco slap a few pounds of Bondo on your quarter panel and call it a job.

I live in Chicago where road salt is King and the body is still nice.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Question for people though.... To remove salt do you all just take a hose on whatever powerful spray pattern and just shoot it up under the car as best you can?
Whoa! See member "glen e" sticky on washing and caring for the car. He is the man when it comes to detailing the car and never uses power sprayers- it forces water to places where it should not be.

glen e write up/sticky on detailing your car:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79730&highlight=glen+e+grill+protection

·
Banned
694 Posts
Chaos! Welcome back!

I can see a need for the underside of the car- such as suspension bolts, exhaust hangers, etc...but not the body- unless you were in an accident and the "good" people at Macco slap a few pounds of Bondo on your quarter panel and call it a job.

I live in Chicago where road salt is King and the body is still nice.
Sup Rick. Since I know you enjoy seeing my car, I actually got some good pics for once: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145730

As for the topic at hand...surface rust is kind of hard to completely stop. Plus, the frames and body panels of new cars have quite a bit of rust protection from the factory.

Bottom line: save your cash and just make sure the salt doesn't stay on that car for long.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts

·
Banned
308 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Krown

In my opinion Krown is the way to go living in Ontario. It does not tend to swell the weatherstrips as bad as RustCheck does. Here they are using the liquid brine spray on the roads also. The best thing these sprays do is get in all the seams and crevices and prevent moisture from starting rust.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
IMO, save your money. Modern cars are made using galvanized steel and come with rustproofing from the factory. It's outdated advice, like having to change your oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles.
The underside of your car is left in e-coat/primer. It is missing two layers of paint that the outside has. There are lots of seams, crevases, and spot welds that rust just loves to get at. After 2 years you can put a Upstate NY car on a lift and see seams and welds rusting already.

Great... another one of these threads
I know, right?

12 yr old bmw and the only rust is on a few parts of the undercarriage area and subframe.

I thought that third party rustproof was actually worse because you can create cavities where the saltwater can get trapped and that makes it even worse.

German cars are known for their rust resistance and are an exception to the rule. VWs have a 12 year unlimited mile rust warranty.

Back in the Ziebart, AutoArmor, Rusty Jones days it was true that sometimes the tar like rust proofing could make pockets. Even worse was that it would plug weep holes in doors and trap water and moisture. Krown, Rust Check, and Rust Cop are a thin viscous liquid that penetrates the nooks and crannies but, it needs to be applied annually. Think of it like WD40 your tools so they dont rust.

To truely get all the salt off a car it takes mechanical action (read: sponge on surface). Unless you get your car on a lift to scrub the undercarrage you will not get it all off. And, you will never get it out of the seams and overlaps.

Sup Rick. Since I know you enjoy seeing my car, I actually got some good pics for once: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145730

As for the topic at hand...surface rust is kind of hard to completely stop. Plus, the frames and body panels of new cars have quite a bit of rust protection from the factory.

Bottom line: save your cash and just make sure the salt doesn't stay on that car for long.
Todays cars are much better, but they are not rust proof. If you want to keep your car 7+ years and hate rust like I do, the $89/yr is cheap insurance. I am a believer that 2-3 years of Rust Cop, Krown, Rust Check will double the life of your car. Thats less than $300. It helps resale too.

Also, with $89/yr you are also protecting more than just the undercarrage and floorboards. Your brake lines (Steel and rubber), trans lines, fuel lines and struts are all getting protected as well. After about 7-8 winters you need to start replacing that stuff and it can add up.

Spraying the bottom with Rust Cop, Krown or Rust Check also makes working on the underside of your car so much easier as well. No stuck caliper bolts, everything just backs out.

Ur just supposed to clean after a snow storm with water. I've had a car for 15 years in my family in NY And no rust.
Lets not compare a Downstate NY winter to an Upstate NY winter. Our roads are white even when there is no snow on them.

Doesn't new cars come with a warranty for rust anyway?
Our Hondas are 5 year/Unlimited mile on rust. But the panel has to rust thru before that will kick in. Rust thru will not happen in 5 years. It is typical to see seams in wheel wells on rear quarter panels to start to blister after 3 years.

In my opinion Krown is the way to go living in Ontario. It does not tend to swell the weatherstrips as bad as RustCheck does. Here they are using the liquid brine spray on the roads also. The best thing these sprays do is get in all the seams and crevices and prevent moisture from starting rust.
We have the new blue hybrid salt and that stuff is eating up cars here in NY. I used Rust Check on past cars. I never had the weatherstrip swell, but I have read about it.

Jay

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all. Will be doing the Rust Check thing. I intend to keep my car 7 plus years. I kept my last one 10. A mechanic told me that the rust proof notjust for the rust, but brake lines etc. Someone said cheap insurance, I am thinking very true. Now if I can only find a deal,,,,,,,

·
Banned
308 Posts
Jay... Good info above thanks

I've read about people painting Atf under the car, or maybe it was a mix of atf and paint thinner... Can't remember. sounds like this is what rust check is.

This will be good for the undercarriage but obviously doesn't help for panels. Has anyone on here done a DIY with a rag or paintbrush and atf? I can imagine this being a royal mess though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts