Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Jay... Good info above thanks

I've read about people painting Atf under the car, or maybe it was a mix of atf and paint thinner... Can't remember. sounds like this is what rust check is.

This will be good for the undercarriage but obviously doesn't help for panels. Has anyone on here done a DIY with a rag or paintbrush and atf? I can imagine this being a royal mess though.
The Rust Check/Rust Cop is red but im not sure what it is chemically.

When you say it does not help for panels, how do you mean? When applying the Rust Check/Rust Cop they spray the inside of the front fenders, hood and engine compartment, insides of the doors, access the inside of the rocker panels via existing holes or a few new holes that they plug, and then hose the heck out of the wheel wells, and trunk. The car drips for a week straight which can make a mess of your driveway. I parked in the street the first few days.

As for the outside of the panels the best defense IMO is a couple coats of a really hard wax and then touching up every little scratch and chip on the car.

Jay

Discussion starter · #22 ·
The Rust Check is actually attracted to moisture and seeks to displace it. I saw a demo a few years ago of it actually happening. The first car I ever had this stuff applied to, already had rust and the product seemed to neutralize the rust and noticed it harden. This stuff is kind of magic.

I visit Carwell yearly to have the underside and body panels rustproofed. Sounds like it is similar to Rust Check/Rust Cop. It is a bright red fluid. It honestly smells like a mixture of tranny fluid and WD40.

I was under my car two days ago just giving things a look around and the Carwell had a very nice film on everything. My application was a couple of weeks ago. They do the same by injecting into all of the panels.

Well worth it.

yeah well ATF is red......perhaps this is just a service that sprays ATF all over your car......still sounds like a freakin mess!
I am pretty sure that it is not ATF, for environment concerns.

I'm not going to argue if it is a mess or is not because everyone's perceptions are different. But, for me a few days of parking on the lawn is worth it.

Jay

Thoughts on rust proofing?

So Im in Canada, Manitoba to be more precise and we dont use a ton of salt on roads, especially compared to out East - but we do a lot of sand, its harsh winter for 4-6 months of the year and sometimes tons of rain in the summer...

Whats the consensus on rust proofing these days if someone wants to keep their car 10+ years? Ive heard great things about krown overall and the price is right - but Ive also hears its dependent on the tech doing the work and that it can cause rubber seals and things to swell??

Also curious if it would gunk up the speakers..... and another weird question, being that krown is an oil based product - any idea if an extra perk might be that it would keep mice away from the car? Seems they take up shelter in my garage once a year or so before I get rid of them again with fresh moth balls...

I still have a 99 Accord and a 02 camry both purchased new and never rust proofed. They both started showing a little bit of rust when they were 13yrs old and i live in NE Ohio where they salt the crap out of the roads. I wouldn't waste my money on rust proofing these days.

I still have a 99 Accord and a 02 camry both purchased new and never rust proofed. They both started showing a little bit of rust when they were 13yrs old and i live in NE Ohio where they salt the crap out of the roads. I wouldn't waste my money on rust proofing these days.

Thank you, this is reassuring. The bit that they are showing, is it the panels? Just curious. Any idea what the undercarriage is looking like?

At this point Im leaning more towards doing nothing at all, or if anything maybe doing just the undercarriage , struts, brakelines, etc...

On another site, for trucks, I go to a few guys swear by coating/spraying their used motor oil on the road facing surfaces.

How green you are will determine your response to that.

I don't like the idea because I wouldn't want any part of my car that dirty. But if I lived in the NE like they do I might change my mind.

I live in Atlantic Canada and own a 2002 Accord and 2006 Odyssey. We use lots of salt on the roads here and I have plenty of rust on both of my vehicles. I am close to buying a 2016 Accord and have promised myself that I will never buy another vehicle and not rust proof the vehicle regularly. I recently replaced the rusted fuel and brake lines, replaced rusted bumper mounts, repaired rust holes under my car and I am confident that these repairs could have been avoided if I had rust proofed my vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have tried Rustcheck and Krown rustproofing over the years.
They are fine but I find they are too liquid and drip for up to a week after application.

For my new 16 touring, I went with this instead.
Corrosion Free - Rustproofing Rust Cure Formula 3000

The liquid is thicker and doesn't drip at all so should last longer.

The key thing is to find a good technician to do the application.

I have tried Rustcheck and Krown rustproofing over the years.
They are fine but I find they are too liquid and drip for up to a week after application.

For my new 16 touring, I went with this instead.
Corrosion Free - Rustproofing Rust Cure Formula 3000

The liquid is thicker and doesn't drip at all so should last longer.

The key thing is to find a good technician to do the application.

Yeah Ive looked into corrosion free already. Seems in my region its only offered at a chain store, Canadian Tire. Who have an absolutely horrible reputation of doing a piss-poor job with all things auto regardless of which location.

Im still torn on this subject in general and the more I read the farther I get from a decision either way. Id almost just say **** it and krown it anway but im worried bout the rubber and plastics now... its not about the cost anymore its trying to figure out whats best for the car...

No, I applied it once and maybe the oil out of the can isn't as thick as a shop spraying it out of a sprayer, but once it dried out, it acted hygroscopic. This was only a one year app. I was so upset over seeing all the bolt heads all crusted I vowed to try something different.

The other side of the car were I used the CRC heavy duty rust inhibitor (like the KBS wax product) looked just as good as when I sprayed it on. It was also the only stuff that withstood over 4000 hours of salt water submersion if I remember correctly.

I live just outside Buffalo, NY. They salt the roads and use a brine solution. I've been getting my 06 Wrangler done with Rustop and a local collision shop for 10 years now. They use a thick oil therefore it does not dripp for days or weeks after. If I were to wipe away the build up of oil on it I would see an undercarriage the day it rolled off the factory line.

The best benefit was when I recently replaced the whole front end including wheel hub assemblies. Everything came apart with ease and I didn't have to use my impact once.

It does more then prevent body panels from rusting. It also protects brake lines and fuel lines from rusting as well. I get it done every year and I already started my wife's new Accord with it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.