Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Overdrive
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rust Spot: FIXED 8/2010

I know that there have been a few posts regarding rust in the past, and the solution was "claybar", but I'm gonna hold of on the claybarring until I hear back from the dealership.

Anyways, I was washing my car today and surface debris was coming off. However, then I saw the little spot and it wouldn't come off. It's rust, alright.

After I hear back from the dealership I'll update and decide whether we take it in or we just claybar it.

The cap in the one picture is from an Ozarka water bottle and it's there only for scale, a trick I learned in a Geology class. IMO, I think the rust spot looks like a scab.

FIXED August 2010 (See last post for details)

PICS Below:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Tough to say from that picture, but a clay bar is only going to remove surface contaminants. If that is through your paint and is the actual metal rusting, clay isn't going to fix that. You would have to get the rust removed and the spot repainted.

·
NJDR
555 Posts
yeah thats probably a really bad rock chip that you didnt notice and it started rusting so best thing to do is see if you can lightly sand just the rust down then put touch up paint...isnt going to look perfect but f it lollol it will protect it from more rust forming or if you want get that spot repainted

·
Overdrive
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE: I'm going to take it in to the dealer tomorrow afternoon and I'll update on what the next event will be.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Honda cancer sort off. You live in Texa and this is happening, I'm kinda worried now.

·
Overdrive
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I took it to the dealer today and they offered to touch it up, but they said that it may not match. So, I'll let them touch it up, but if it's not good, then I'm not paying.

The Corrosion Warranty states "The warranty does not cover rusting where the paint has been damaged by road hazards such as stones or debris" BUT...

If they can't prove it was road debris (what evidence is there?) then the warranty also states "Honda will repair or replace any original body panel that rusts completely through from the inside out (perforated by corrosion). Rust that does not perforate, but is caused by a defect in material or workmanship is covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty"

So, does the above paragraph allow me to argue that it rusted because of a manufacturers defect in the anti-corrosive spraying and/or painting?

·
Registered
692 Posts
oh wow I need to take my car in then. I have 2 spots like that on the top of my car. I just saw them about a month ago. Now i had a few marks on my hood from driving so much but not on the top of my car though. And I have white also. I wonder if more people with a white car have the same problem.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Where's the spot at? I think it is going to be hard for you to prove it is a defect if it is somewhere like on the bumper or hood, like anywhere that could take rock chips/debris while normal driving. But if it is in an unusual spot, sounds like you are covered. If they touch it up correctly, at least that will keep it from continuing to rust. And the spot seems small enough that it shouldn't be too noticeable. A reputable body shop could fix it completely with their sanding/painting/blending processes but obviously it is up to you if you want to eat that cost. Keep us updated.

·
Super Moderator
7,848 Posts
OP,

Although you haven't stated, I'm going to make a bold statement this spot is on your hood or fender?

DO NOT just let Honda "touch it up", the rust will bubble through in short order, the ONLY way to fix this properly is to get rid of ALL the rust, use a sharp tip of a knife if you must, rust is like cancer, you must get all of it out first.

You then need to prime it, the best primer is zinc chromate, unfortuntely it's difficult to find the stuff now, I have a small can from work related project years ago and it's a very valuable part of any touch up work I have to do if the metal is visible.

You then follow up the primer with the color touch up paint, this will give you the longest/best protection against rust coming up in the future.

BTW, you are at the loosing end of the argument with Honda anti-rust warranty if the chip is anywhere close to the front of the car, since that chip is almost without a doubt from a stone chip which none of the anti-rust warranty from any manufacturer will cover.

And this is why I had the Ventrue Shield clear bra put on my car within one week of getting it!

·
This won't hurt a bit
368 Posts
While they may not be able to prove it was caused by debris, they can with absolute certainty say its not rusting from the inside out.

go to the auto parts store, pick up naval jelly and have the area re-painted by a professional

·
Overdrive
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it's on the top of my hood about an inch down from where it meets the windshield. However, there's another chip where it went down to the metal on the same side the same distance from the top of the hood that hasn't rusted (yet). But while I was there they pointed ANOTHER on the very low end of my hood above the grill on the edge of the hood (it's almost underneath).

Yeah, I think they're going to sand it down, prime it, and then paint it. I'd assume they would.

I argued with the employee at the dealer and asked him how many 8th Gen Accords he had seen rust. After trying to skirt the question, he told me that this was the first 8th Gen Accord he had seen rust. Keep in mind that this dealer has probably sold/serviced 50,000 8th Gen Accords since their first introduction.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Is it rusted underneath the hood? It looks to me thatyou got a rock chip and it started rusting... How is that Honda's fault?

·
Overdrive
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it rusted underneath the hood? It looks to me thatyou got a rock chip and it started rusting... How is that Honda's fault?
Yes, it was a rock chip. And my thinking was this: when a car is made in the factory it gets probably 3 different coats of anti-corrosives, followed by 2-3 coats of primer, 2-4 coats of paint, then 3-4 coats of clear coat. Yes the chip was down to the metal, but the anti-corrosives should protect against rust.

Another thing is that a 1 year, 2 month old car should not be rusting regardless (the car has 7600 miles on it).

·
Super Moderator
7,848 Posts
In reality, the steel should be galvanized dipped once, one coat of primer, one coat of paint, and only one coat of clear, mass production environment does not allow multiple coats as with custom painting.

Unfortunately the steel is very vulnerable as soon as the stone chip damages that last layer, i.e. the galvanized layer, it's downhill from there, in fact it only takes a short while under the right (wrong?) environment to get to the point you observed.

·
Overdrive
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fixed

So I took it into the dealership (Rusty Wallis Honda of Dallas -Just off 635) on August 11 or so. I also had to get tires rotated and the oil changed. Anyways, the employee and I argued about the spot going back and forth about how Honda won't cover it, but I figured they should since their products should have held up better (a 1-year, 2-month old car shouldn't be rusting IMO no matter what).

Anyways, I went back and forth and he said that it was the only one he had seen rusting. Astonishing if you ask me. I agreed to let them fix it, and if it didn't look good, I wouldn't pay and I'd just have them refinish the hood (I was in a bit of a time crunch).

So I left it there for a few days, got a call and they said that they repaired the spots FOR FREE!!!! The painter who did the touch-ups said that since he was fixing the one spot, he'd go ahead and fix the other two on the end of my hood.

So, I'm happy to report that the spots look good. I'm satisfied with the work they did. Oh, they also left it sitting inside the area where people drive their cars into when they arrive to have maintenance done. A compliment if you ask me. Thanks to Rusty Wallis and Mr. Joe Tucker.

PICS: (As a side note, it may look like it's rust under the touch-up spots, but it's just the metal) It was hard to get a picture because the area was so small and the camera wouldn't focus. The pictures don't do it justice.

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
It doesn't matter whether your car is brand new, 2 months old or still under warranty. If any spot of the car hit by stone chips or debrics and you don't take care of it, it rusts.

How would that be Honda's fault since you use the car, but none of Honda's employee did?

Get a genuine Honda touch up paint handy, touch it up whenever you find a spot. I always handwash my car weekly so I know every inch of my car. This is one of the reason that one should handwash their car so they know the condition of the car before it's too late.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts