Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to post these photos. When I first got my car (about 6 or 7 weeks ago I think) about 10 days after I had been driving it around, I brought it up on ramps and went underneath just to "explore"

Noticed a fair bit of rust on certain parts already. Obviously "normal" but still hurts to see my brand new car already with rust spots on some parts.

First pic is the inside axle, then below it is the outer axle where it connects to the wheel. All these wheel pieces are coated except then it's like they are cut AFTER the coating on those flat spots where things bolt on, and that is what rusts....

I also snapped a shot of the oil filter housing because I like how they built a little lip on the bottom that should hopefully funnel the extra oil down once you pull the filter.

Notice also the nice layer of salt spray from mid November when the pix were taken. I'm sure it's no better now.....

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Rust? You mean your 2Fe chassis is combining with 2NaCl+H20 to form 3FeCl+2NaOH+H2? You should take your Accord back and ask for the SE with the Fe3C chassis. In the meantime, I recommend you keep your H2's away from any open flames.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I live in Calgary Canada and I haven't had any rust on the car but i think it could be because I got it undercoated.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are doing better than most.

It seems honda may be painting the knuckles now.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1105049

Jay
I looked at that thread and it appears last years models rusted completely in that knuckle while mine only will rust on the nonpainted parts. Is yours completely rusted Jay?

Forgive me but do they just make that part from cast iron? And I guess it just develops surface rust but it is such a thick piece that it never rusts through ?

I just didn't expect to see rust after one week. Like I said I trust honda and wasn't claiming it was abnormal ...just thought I'd show the pics for others interest.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Marty I painted the brake calipers on my Accord and on my 1991 Nissan 240sx this summer. If I learned one thing in life, it is to paint the darn calipers right away. This is to avoid so much scrubbing and cleaning for paint prep that will be needed after a few years of having "rusty" calipers.

A little painter's tape, some newspaper, and Rustoleum black will take care of your car parts problem. They will look factory new and still will 4 years from now. It is a minor thing but you can fix this for $5 and one hour.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I looked at that thread and it appears last years models rusted completely in that knuckle while mine only will rust on the nonpainted parts. Is yours completely rusted Jay?

Forgive me but do they just make that part from cast iron? And I guess it just develops surface rust but it is such a thick piece that it never rusts through ?

I just didn't expect to see rust after one week. Like I said I trust honda and wasn't claiming it was abnormal ...just thought I'd show the pics for others interest.
Mine is not rusted, it is black like yours and it has not rusted that bad in the machined areas, only very light. If you look at the ball joint mating surface on my knuckle it has not rusted at all yet. I did have the car sprayed with rust cop a few months ago. Maybe that has protected the bare areas.

The knuckle is cast iron and what you are seeing is surface rust. The knuckle is so large and the composition of cast iron is such that it will be OK, I would not expect any failure of that part in normal use, ever.

It appears that at some point in MY 2013 Honda started painting that part pre-machining as my May build car has a painted knuckle except for the machined areas. I don not believe the machined areas are painted for tolerance reasons. Attached is a picture of my knuckle after 30+ days of NY road salt.

Attachments

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine is not rusted, it is black like yours and it has not rusted that bad in the machined areas, only very light. If you look at the ball joint mating surface on my knuckle it has not rusted at all yet. I did have the car sprayed with rust cop a few months ago. Maybe that has protected the bare areas.

The knuckle is cast iron and what you are seeing is surface rust. The knuckle is so large and the composition of cast iron is such that it will be OK, I would not expect any failure of that part in normal use, ever.

It appears that at some point in MY 2013 Honda started painting that part pre-machining as my May build car has a painted knuckle except for the machined areas. I don not believe the machined areas are painted for tolerance reasons. Attached is a picture of my knuckle after 30+ days of NY road salt.
Thanks. My pics were coming up from the underside, while yours appear to be from above. Your "band" near the boot is rusted just like mine was starting to. And you can't see the areas where yours is machined, but yes it could be that your oily rustcop has stuck to those areas and they aren't rusting.

As I said in the first post, obviously I believe Honda isn't so stupid as to design a part that could fail by rust in this manner, it was more just interesting and crazy to me that my car was already rusting. But such is life. One can always take a pic of brake rotors after they sit and find "rust" too.....

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Thanks. My pics were coming up from the underside, while yours appear to be from above. Your "band" near the boot is rusted just like mine was starting to. And you can't see the areas where yours is machined, but yes it could be that your oily rustcop has stuck to those areas and they aren't rusting.

As I said in the first post, obviously I believe Honda isn't so stupid as to design a part that could fail by rust in this manner, it was more just interesting and crazy to me that my car was already rusting. But such is life. One can always take a pic of brake rotors after they sit and find "rust" too.....
The pic is taken from under the front bumper looking up.

Jay

·
Registered
126 Posts
Marty, that 2nd pic where it looks like one of the control arms is bolted to iron/steel cast knuckle looks kinda strange to me (it's probably normal). It looks like they milled out about 1/2 of the thickness of the casting to get the arm to bolt in correctly. Is the inside corner of that milled area a sharp corner or did they put a decent radius in there? I wouldn't be too happy if they left it a rusty, sharp corner.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Marty, that 2nd pic where it looks like one of the control arms is bolted to iron/steel cast knuckle looks kinda strange to me (it's probably normal). It looks like they milled out about 1/2 of the thickness of the casting to get the arm to bolt in correctly. Is the inside corner of that milled area a sharp corner or did they put a decent radius in there? I wouldn't be too happy if they left it a rusty, sharp corner.
Not sure, but I see what you mean. You mean the lip or edge?

I'll let you know next time I'm under the car, which won't be for a long while it seems since it is 0 degrees here :paranoid:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts