Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

First time posting and have a general question for those who purchased the rust-proofing from Honda.

I have a 2010 Accord Coupe EX-L in Taffeta White. I bought the car at the end of August and its rained here in Toronto twice since I bought the car. Every time it rains, the rust proof (probably because it hasn't dried completely) gets onto the body of the car behind my two rear wheels. It leaves a strip of grease on each side of my car. Since my car is white, it makes it very obvious that the car is dirty (which makes me cringe) and doesn't come off with a power washer.

I've called the dealership and they said there's nothing they can do now (they should have mentioned this problem to me before I paid for it) and that to clean it, I have to use Varsol and wipe it off with water afterward.

I've done this twice now but I don't want to continue using Varsol to clean the grease off the car. I also don't want to just leave the grease sitting on the car. Any recommendations on what I can do instead of cleaning it with Varsol? Any of you experience the same problem?

I know keeping the car rust-free far outweighs having a dirty car but it's been bothering me, especially since I've only had it for less than one month.

Appreciate your thoughts and please let me know if there is already a thread discussing this (tried searching but found nothing).

Thanks and I'll try to post pictures next time it happens.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Uh, it shouldn't matter if it rains or not, the excess rustproof liquid is flowing out regardless if it's raining or not, I don't think you can connect the raining part with the streaks.

Just get some good Meguire's Gold Class car wash mixed with *very* warm water and see if it comes off with a sponge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uh, i'm pretty sure it does have to do with the rain since the streaks don't show when it doesn't rain.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
The last car my family had rustproofed was my Mom's 1988 Olds Delta 88 (I was 11 when she bought it), and I do remember her detailing the car on a weekly basis for at least a month or two after she bought it due to the rustproofing that weeped out of the crevaces.

She kept the car for 10 years and vowed to never get rustproofing again. When she bought her 1998 Buick LeSabre she did not get it rustproofed, and then when she sold that for her 2007 Buick Lucerne it didn't have a speck of rust.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Was the streak a rusty colour? sorta like dirty orange and found on the top by the sun roof? If so I'm having the same Problem. Btw Rustproofing takes place at the bottom of the car it shouldnt show up at the top and I didnt get rust proofing done.

btw isnt varsol bad for paint?

·
Registered
59 Posts
One of my cars is a 1999 Accord LX. I bougth it new and drove it through Pennsylvania Winter Snow and Salt for 8 years. I did not have any rustproofing done on the car and it still does not have a spec of rust in it. I think that the whole idea of getting extra rust proofing is a waste of money and comes with a lot of unnecessary hassle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts