Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
Vendor
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Introducing the RV6 Precat Deletes/Highflow Precats for the 9th generation Accord V6 3.5L equipped with Earth Dreams engine. We have spent the last 3 months refining this product for perfect fit and function. That means no check engine lights or modifying parts to fit. Everything will bolt on and work on the first try.

Precat deletes aka PCDs and Highflow Precats aka HFPCs replace your highly restrictive original equipment pre-catalytic converters with either a straight pipe or a highflow race catalytic converter.

EGR-B V6 PRECAT DELETES KIT

PCDs
Pros:
Maximum performance gains per dollar
Low cost compared HFPCs

Cons:
May make exhaust too loud for some people.
Stronger exhaust smell
May not pass visual inspection

PCDs Specs:
- 304 Stainless cast stainless flange sections.
- 304 Stainless 2.25” tubing
- TIG welded
- Argon back gassed for pure welds

EGR-B V6 HIGH FLOW PRECATS

HFPCs
Pros:
No exhaust smell
Passes visual inspection
Slight increase in exhaust level

Cons:
More expensive then PCDs
Less power gains compared to PCDs

HFPCs Specs:
- 304 Stainless cast stainless flange sections.
- 200 Cell metallic substrate Converters
- TIG welded
- Argon back gassed for pure welds

Both parts include all necessary hardware for installation. No running around town searching for small parts.

Performance

PCDs and HFPCs have been the proven best "bang for buck" modifications for the J-Series engines 2008. RV6 first introduced a version for the 7th Generation Accord V6 3.0L. Back then people were amazed to see gains well over 15WHP on a 3.0L engine. RV6 has been constantly improving the product ever since.

On our test car we were able to put down some amazing peak numbers using 4th gear which has a 1.024 gear ratio. Since there is no way to hold a gear on the automatic transmission we could not measure the full powerband. We accelerated to 45MPH went WOT and forced the transmission to down shift to 3rd and started capturing data after the transmission up shifted to 4th until before it shifted to 5th.

Test car: 2013 V6 3.5L Accord Touring
Transmission: Automatic
Modifications: None other than RV6 PCDs + HFPCs
Dyno: Mustang MD-AWD-150
Correction Factor: SAE for temperature, barometric pressure and humidity

The results were very impressive. As the exhaust flow freed up the engine actually leaned out and made some impressive power. Once we find a local 6MT we can get a full power band run.

PCDs gains
+37WHP
+23WTQ

HFPCs gains
+26WHP
+23WTQ

Sound Factor

As expected with HFPCs there was no rasp at all and the exhaust note became slightly more aggressive and louder. Unlike the previous Hondas, PCDs did not make the stock 9th gen exhaust raspy. Just louder and very aggressive.

Video: Comparison of stock 2013 Accord precats vs RV6 precats

FAQ
Q: What is a Precat?
A: A precat is a catalytic converter that is bolts directly to the single integrated exhaust port on your engine. The purpose of a precat is clean the emissions produced by your engine.

Q: Why would you want to remove/replace your factory precat?
A: For the automotive enthusiast looking to make more power from a given engine. The best way would be to remove restriction in the induction system and exhaust.

Q: Will the dealer notice this part when I take my car in for service? Will it void my warranty?
A: The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part. They have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure.

Q: Will I get a Check engine light?
A: Generally no if they are installed properly. If you do get a CEL your defouler can be adjusted. We spent a good amount of time tuning our defoulers to run CEL free. If you do get a CEL find out what the code is before calling us.

Q: Can I install PCDs/HFPCs part myself?
A: Of course. Just take your time and do not force anything. Allow plenty of time for installation. We will post a install guide and there are plenty of online resources.

Q: Will my exhaust smell with PCDs?
A: Yes on the outside only. You can not smell the exhaust from inside the car. You only smell it when your windows are down and the wind is blowing the exhaust back at you.

Q: Do I reuse heat shields on PCDs/HFPCs?
A: No, since the PCDs/HFPCs and do no use highly restrictive cores to burn off emissions, they do not get as hot as stock precats.

Q: Will I pass my Emissions test?
A: All RV6 products are intended for Off-Road use only. Technically any modifications related to the engine and lighting are unlawful unless approved by certain government agencies. However these rules are rarely enforced. Most of the performance accessories sold at your local auto parts store are not approved for road use. The states that have emissions testing will usually just plug into your OBDII port and check for codes, which you will pass. Do a little research beforehand.

Q: What does the Ceramic coating do?
A: Ceramic coating is a baked on and cured thermal barrier that keeps the heat inside the exhaust tube and out of your engine bay. This makes for a cooler engine bay and higher exhaust velocities which lead better response.

Q: Can I heat wrap my parts. Will it void the warranty?
A: Wrap all you like. Only cheap stuff breaks when wrapped.

Q: How long is the warranty?
A: 24 Months from sale date. However we take very good care of our customers even outside of warranty.

Q: Can I eliminate X or not use Y part in the installation?
A: The warranty will void if all brackets and mounts are not used. It is not weight reduction it is call being lazy.

·
hondaofocala.com
255 Posts
Thank you for creating a outstanding product! I just ordered mine last night. I can't wait till i get a shipped email from you! I will post pictures and sound clips for you to see and here.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Those are absolutely great numbers. I wonder what the gains are in the low-end of the RPM range though.

·
Vendor
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if you want good gains do you recommend the PCDs over the HFPCs? Why are the HFPCs priced higher?
Yes for gains get the PCDs, it is power you can feel. The HFPCs use a metallic 200 cell race cat cores which adds to the cost. They clean up your exhaust so that it doesn't smell as strong at deleting your precats completely.

Those are absolutely great numbers. I wonder what the gains are in the low-end of the RPM range though.
I am sure the low end did fine. We were having traction issues in 1st after the PCD install. You can sorta notice it in the video. It took a few tries to warm up the tires enough to get that clip

Over on Acurazine PCDs are known as the beast. :biggrin:

·
Basque Red Fury
1,233 Posts
So if you want good gains do you recommend the PCDs over the HFPCs? Why are the HFPCs priced higher?
The PCD is mainly a straight pipe. The HFPC is a precat with high flow.. it's got extra stuff inside

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just finished placing my order for PDC's from you at rv6. can't wait! :banana:

:yes:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
The numbers look real good. Assuming you have standard tools for the install, what would be a good estimate for the install time? Curious if we are talking 4 hours, a day or a weekend.
Thanks,
Tim

·
Hi, I'm Bob
37 Posts
:thmsup: Looks like a quality product! I look forward to hearing back from people with their post-install impressions.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'll post pictures and detail install when I receive and a review.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Impressive! The price is actually fair. I was expecting something more considering what looks like quality materials and workmanship, plus the R&D.

·
Basque Red Fury
1,233 Posts
The price does look amazing for the numbers generated... looks like I'll be saving to get these

·
Vendor
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The numbers look real good. Assuming you have standard tools for the install, what would be a good estimate for the install time? Curious if we are talking 4 hours, a day or a weekend.
Thanks,
Tim
I would charge 2 hours shop time. If you are very green to this kind of stuff I would give it a weekend. If you pretty mechanically inclined a 3-4 hours with hand tools and jack stands. The 9G actually has plenty of space to work. The 7G was the worst in my book.

I'll post pictures and detail install when I receive and a review.
I have a install guide in the works. It should be up in a day or so.

That is my concern. I really don't want to go with an aftermarket intake to see good results with this.
We lost HP and TQ with the Taketa SRI. I am pretty the MAF diameter isn't calibrated properly. The stock the ECU runs rich enough the Takeda intake puts it over the top and looses power. I've seen this before int he 8G as well with Takeda.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We lost HP and TQ with the Taketa SRI. I am pretty the MAF diameter isn't calibrated properly. The stock the ECU runs rich enough the Takeda intake puts it over the top and looses power. I've seen this before int he 8G as well with Takeda.

Interesting I couldn't tell a real difference with or without my Sri. Did you by chance try with and without intake after PCD's?

·
Registered
29 Posts
No we kept the car stock while we did our product testing.
So do you recommend using just the stock intake? I do plan on purchasing the PCDs soon, but I have the Takeda Sri installed. Will you notice the loss in HP and TQ? And was the test performed on a 9th gen?

·
Registered
86 Posts
So do you recommend using just the stock intake? I do plan on purchasing the PCDs soon, but I have the Takeda Sri installed. Will you notice the loss in HP and TQ? And was the test performed on a 9th gen?
On their test with stock cats they lost power with intake. And yeah it was tested on a 9th gen 4 door touring model I believe. Idk if intake with the PCD's would benefit each other it's possible but I've been considering putting stock intake back on do to sucking hot air if I idle a bit and bogging down

·
Vendor
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yes, the intake tests were done on the same 9G with the car never being unstrapped from the dyno. We just did a few runs with the intake before converting everything back to stock to do our test.

We did put the SRI back on for the customer after testing HFPCs and gained 3WHP and 1WTQ. I wouldn't recommend buying a intake if you didn't already have one. We might work on a intake after we get all these exhaust products finished. We have a few tricks to squeeze a little power out of the induction side of things.

1 - 20 of 272 Posts