Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I received an alert notification from Carfax today regarding a new safety recall for my Accord (2014, EX-L, 4 cyl).
The Carfax website states:
1 Open Recall Reported
12/11/2020
Manufacturer Safety-related recall issued
Recall #U9C 2013-15 Accord Driveshaft Stop Sale

I was wondering if anyone else got that? Or has any idea what this is about?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I only see 2 recalls for the '14 Accord listed, regardless of VIN, and neither is recent, so the safercar.gov site may be out of date...

And seems to be several recalls not yet listed by the safercar.gov site. Read this thread.

·
Elvira
3,679 Posts
This sounds eerily similar to the Honda Fit recall where a halfshaft was fracturing.

That recall was JE4 for the manual trans 2013 very limited run.

Go to the Carfax site and at the bottom is a link for recalls. Since you are already a Carfax buyer you ight not need to open a free account. Vehicle Recall Check | CARFAX

See if it is legitimate from Carfax or a phishing email.

Good luck and report back what you find.

Honda owners site does not show a recent recall for this BUT it does have the Fit recall for this problem.

I would hope and believe Honda site would be most up to date.

Reactions: 14v6

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
I got the same notice today.
Unless they're just talking about the axles??...who knows...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This sounds eerily similar to the Honda Fit recall where a halfshaft was fracturing.

That recall was JE4 for the manual trans 2013 very limited run.

Go to the Carfax site and at the bottom is a link for recalls. Since you are already a Carfax buyer you ight not need to open a free account. Vehicle Recall Check | CARFAX

See if it is legitimate from Carfax or a phishing email.

Good luck and report back what you find.

Honda owners site does not show a recent recall for this BUT it does have the Fit recall for this problem.

I would hope and believe Honda site would be most up to date.
I do not think it was a phishing email. The recall message is on the carfax website.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Carfax sends me stuff once the car has been at the dealer. I got this as well yesterday with no details other than there was a recall alert.

Of course there's nothing on the the Honda website. I'll try calling corporate and edit this post if there's anything else to report.

@Miker, if it's the halfshafts what does this mean? Is it the usually rusting under the sticker causing it to snap?

Didn't get anywhere with Honda or the dealer. All I want to know if it's safe to drive the car or not.

The dealer's answer was that it's a brand new recall and they don't know anything about it and Honda will send me a recall letter. I asked for Honda number and the one they gave me referred be to another Honda number.

When I got Honda Corporate on the phone they tried to refer me to the dealer. I said I'm not playing this game of you putting me in the middle and do you represent Honda or not? He said they couldn't answer the question of it's safe to drive as they aren't technicians there. We started talking over each other and he hung up on me. How times have changed, it shows where there have been budget cuts.

EDIT:

So I tried the chat function and they said if I didn't have concerns with the driveshaft it was safe to drive or i could arrange to tow it to a dealer if I felt unsafe. Overall, this stuff happens every day and I felt like Honda and the dealer didn't have much experience handling this type of stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I received an alert notification from Carfax today regarding a new safety recall for my Accord (2014, EX-L, 4 cyl).
The Carfax website states:
1 Open Recall Reported
12/11/2020
Manufacturer Safety-related recall issued
Recall #U9C 2013-15 Accord Driveshaft Stop Sale

I was wondering if anyone else got that? Or has any idea what this is about?

Thanks!
I received
the same message

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi everyone, I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe! I noticed I got a recall distributed through the MyCarFax app regarding the "driveshaft." I am assuming CV axles. Anyways, I cannot seem to find anything regarding this one on the web. If anyone has more information, I am curious to see what this is about.

·
Elvira
3,679 Posts
Carfax sends me stuff once the car has been at the dealer. I got this as well yesterday with no details other than there was a recall alert.

Of course there's nothing on the the Honda website. I'll try calling corporate and edit this post if there's anything else to report.

@Miker, if it's the halfshafts what does this mean? Is it the usually rusting under the sticker causing it to snap?

Didn't get anywhere with Honda or the dealer. All I want to know if it's safe to drive the car or not.

The dealer's answer was that it's a brand new recall and they don't know anything about it and Honda will send me a recall letter. I asked for Honda number and the one they gave me referred be to another Honda number.

When I got Honda Corporate on the phone they tried to refer me to the dealer. I said I'm not playing this game of you putting me in the middle and do you represent Honda or not? He said they couldn't answer the question of it's safe to drive as they aren't technicians there. We started talking over each other and he hung up on me. How times have changed, it shows where there have been budget cuts.

EDIT:

So I tried the chat function and they said if I didn't have concerns with the driveshaft it was safe to drive or i could arrange to tow it to a dealer if I felt unsafe. Overall, this stuff happens every day and I felt like Honda and the dealer didn't have much experience handling this type of stuff.
The Fit recall was for manual trans models that covered 1000+ units or so and it was found that the passenger side halfshaft was improperly heat treated. Honda Recall 14V258000: Right Side Drive Shaft Breaks covers it. Quickest result posted.

EDIT: this link is for the FIT RECALL NOT THIS ACCORD RECALL we're discussing here.

Checked again on honda owners site for the 2013-2016 Accord all models (sedan,coupe,hybrid,plugin) and none have this recall listed.

Reactions: 200366HFP and 14v6

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Two drive shaft recalls cover 430,000 Honda Civic Hybrids from 2012, the 2007 through 2014 Honda Fit, the 2013 through 2015 Acura ILX and the 2013 through 2015 Honda Accord. They’re in 22 states where salt is used to clear roads in the winter. The drive shafts can break due to corrosion. Dealers will inspect the left and right drive shafts and replace them if needed. Parts aren’t available yet. Owners will get an initial notification in February and will be told later when to go to a dealer."

·
Elvira
3,679 Posts
"Two drive shaft recalls cover 430,000 Honda Civic Hybrids from 2012, the 2007 through 2014 Honda Fit, the 2013 through 2015 Acura ILX and the 2013 through 2015 Honda Accord. They’re in 22 states where salt is used to clear roads in the winter. The drive shafts can break due to corrosion. Dealers will inspect the left and right drive shafts and replace them if needed. Parts aren’t available yet. Owners will get an initial notification in February and will be told later when to go to a dealer."

I wonder if this is related to the rubber harmonic balancer on the driveshaft. I've seen where the rubber "seal" to the shaft allows excessive corrosion. No idea what-so-ever but just a guess.

There's also that covering that can keep corrosion products like salt, etc caught between it and the shaft itself. Just looked and there is "some" surface rust on my half-shafts but no biggie really.

After eight years of winters the amount is what I would normally expect in undercarriage components. The sheath originally applied was peeling years ago so not much left to trap the moisture. A little fluidfilm on the metal should protect it til February.
I will say that if the 22 states are the only ones looking at this, you folks along the coast might consider the salt moisture occurring there could cause concern also.
stay tuned!

Thanks for posting. At least we know what to look for now and what's involved.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would be helpful if they specifically identified the "22 states".
The recalls will apply to vehicles that were originally sold or ever registered in these 22 states and the District of Columbia, where road salt is regularly used in the winter: CT, DC, DE, IL, IN, IA, KY, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT, VI, WV, WI.

·
Elvira
3,679 Posts
The recalls will apply to vehicles that were originally sold or ever registered in these 22 states and the District of Columbia, where road salt is regularly used in the winter: CT, DC, DE, IL, IN, IA, KY, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT, VI, WV, WI.
Where are you finding this ? -cuz Honda site says nothing yet.

Never mind found on nhtsa site Thanks

From NHTSA site

Quote "
December 10, 2020 NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V769000
Drive Shaft May Corrode and Fail
A broken drive shaft may cause a sudden loss of drive power. The vehicle could also roll away if the parking brake has not been applied before the vehicle has been exited. Either condition can increase the risk of a crash or injury.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V769000

Manufacturer Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)

Components POWER TRAIN

Potential Number of Units Affected 220,000

Summary

Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain 2013-2015 Accord vehicles equipped with a 4-cylinder engine and a continuously-variable transmission that were originally sold, or ever registered, in Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. The drive shafts were assembled with a lubricant that may have degraded the drive shafts' protective coating, making it more susceptible to damage from road salt or other contaminants, and potentially cause it to break.

Remedy

Honda will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the drive shafts, replacing both the left and right drive shafts, if necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 1, 2021. Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-888-234-2138.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

3 Affected Products
Vehicle

MAKEMODELYEAR
HONDAACCORD2013-2015
UNQUOTE

Read the 6 documents that follow in that page.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wonder if Honda would extend the powertrain warranty for the vehicles included in the recall?

·
Elvira
3,679 Posts
I wonder if Honda would extend the powertrain warranty for the vehicles included in the recall?
They did for the EPS and I believe some models for the DRL's?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got the same CARFAX notification. I checked the Honda site using my VIN (2014 EX-L) and said no recalls, however, the vehicle was sold in AZ and I now live in CA.

·
Elvira
3,679 Posts
1 - 20 of 66 Posts