Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
I have not received anything, is this only for certain years and trims ?
I didn't ask, but he did say they'd(Honda) been in the process of sending out notices through the mail and email...
I'm sure with COVID and everything else, it's going to take longer than usual.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Had an appt for a free oil change today. When I confirmed it, they encouraged me to have this recall inspection done as well. It was done today, and they did find some minor corrosion and replaced both sides shafts. I was glad since now I have new boots and CV joints as part of the replaced unit.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Was under the car today freezing my ass off doing an oil change and took a peek at the halfshafts. Looks like some sort of coating has flaked off and the shafts look pretty crusty. I know the V6 is exempt from the recall but would have been sweet to get some new parts. Car doesn't look all that bad though considering it's in it's 8th winter and everything is original except tires (even the brakes are original) at 76k now but I see thousands or so that will have to be spent to get it to 10 years perhaps, it should just be put towards a new car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had an appt for a free oil change today. When I confirmed it, they encouraged me to have this recall inspection done as well. It was done today, and they did find some minor corrosion and replaced both sides shafts. I was glad since now I have new boots and CV joints as part of the replaced unit.
Just took my 2014 2.4L CVT in for the safety recall. Does anyone know what exactly gets replaced in the recall? Is it both shafts and CV joints and boots?

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Just took my 2014 2.4L CVT in for the safety recall. Does anyone know what exactly gets replaced in the recall? Is it both shafts and CV joints and boots?
See post #44.
Keep in mind, they may inspect the axles and say they are fine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My 2013 Accord was at the dealer today for the recall, they both required replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the service done today for 14 Accord Coupe. Based on invoice the parts were replaced. Here’s the parts list, for the curious. Service took about two hours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 13 my and it's not on the recall list. Wonder why they don't include the manual
Interesting. Recall only applies to vehicles ever registered in salt belt states - has it been registered in one of these?
Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, D.C., West Virginia, Wisconsin

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Interesting. Recall only applies to vehicles ever registered in salt belt states - has it been registered in one of these?
Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, D.C., West Virginia, Wisconsin
It's odd how South Dakota is not on that list :] They do salt their roads there ;-)

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is in NJ too

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
It's odd how South Dakota is not on that list :] They do salt their roads there ;-)
I know. LOTS of states use salt like here in Nebraska. Can't see how Nebraska or South Dakota are noticeably different than say Iowa.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I know. LOTS of states use salt like here in Nebraska. Can't see how Nebraska or South Dakota are noticeably different than say Iowa.
It doesn't look like any of the Great Plains or western mountain states are included. Maybe they all don't use chemicals that are corrosive.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
It doesn't look like any of the Great Plains or western mountain states are included. Maybe they all don't use chemicals that are corrosive.
Oh yes they do. I've had numerous cars rust out from under me due to the salt used here.

·
Cruising in Montana
4,090 Posts
I assume this shows the rubber piece the above post is referring to?
I don't think so. That's a CV joint boot. Maybe they do take the boot off to look under where the bands are though.

I think what they're referring to is the balancer, a rubber disk on the shaft (top one in this picture, not of a Honda). Salt gets under it and goes to town on the steel axle:

I was surprised how much corrosion is on the suspension, sub frame and unibody.
That's not much, and it's nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
All done! They replaced both sides, and I had tires rotated, as it was due. Walked in at 9:30am...on the road again at 12 pm.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts