Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to get the forums expertise in making a decision. I've been in a number of forums and have received excellent guidance and advice for the different vehicles I own. I've never been a Honda owner and am looking to purchase one for my 17 year old son based purely on their reputation of reliability. safety and fuel economy. I came across a 2006 V6 Accord ex with leather that has 113k on it. I drove the vehicle and it was a smooth powerful ride and the transmission shifted perfectly. The vehicle seemed excellent and in great condition. I should add that the dealership consist of 7 Hondas sitting in the front lawn of a house owned by and old gentlemen and his wife outside of Charlotte NC. Upon asking where he got the vehicles from he the owner stated that they were rebuilt titles from the insurance company. I asked where the damage was on this vehicle and he pulled out the Damage Disclosure form showing that there was an accident in which the vehicle was hit in the rear left bumper and quarter panel. As I believe this is a front wheel drive vehicle and the damage was to the rear left, I was curious to others thoughts on whether I should take a chance on this rebuilt title?

I have to question why would an insurance company total a vehicle for something that the seller is stating isn't very significant damage. Am I correct in thinking that in order for a total loss to occur the amount of damage would have to supercede the value of the vehicle. Rear bumper and quarter panel shouldn't be 10k I should it?

The 2006 EX L has 113k, clean all around and he's asking 6,900 cash for it.

Please provide any comments or concerns.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
Most insurance companies total a vehicle when the damage exceeds 75-80% of the value.

If your still interested, I would check all body panels for a OEM vin sticker, if sticker is missing that panel was replaced.

I had a salvaged titled vehicle once, and I will not own one again. When it was totaled again because of a hydro locked engine, My Insurance company only wanted to pay me 30% of the value. We settled for 70% but it took 2 months, and many screaming matches between both parties. You will pay full price for insurance, but if something every happens they will only want to pay way less then the full value.

Also V6 Auto are not know for the most reliable transmissions. And was the timing belt done recently?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't buy it. There's a reason the insurance company totaled it. Especially if you're going to put your child in it. And to echo the previous post, the V6 and AT was not a good combination.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,218 Posts
How does this seller know that the damage wasn't "very significant?" Did the seller provide pictures of the damage to show it wasn't very significant? What qualifications does this seller have to make such an assessment? Does he own and operate a body shop? Did he do the repairs?

The Accord uses a unibody construction. If the left rear quarter panel was damaged, repairing it may likely have required cutting out the damaged panel and welding in a new one vs straightening it out. The labor involved can get very expensive, so what may appear to be insignificant damage can easily cost $5,000 to repair or even $7,000 to repair.

Different insurance companies operate in different ways. Some have a 70% threshold before totaling while others will have a 75% threshold and others a 100% threshold. When did the accident occur and what was the car's value then? If it happened recently and with roughly the same 113K miles on it, then the car would have been worth roughly $8,000-$8,500 at the time. A car worth $8,000-$8,500 with rear quarter panel and rear bumper damage.... yeah, I can easily see why insurance would total it.

Him asking $6,900 for it is a joke. I wouldn't pay more than $3,500 for it since it has a salvage title because it will be hard for you to sell later on, if you decide to do so. Salvage title cars are generally harder to sell (too many unknowns), unless the price is right.... and his asking price is definitely not right.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
If I was trying to sell you a salvage title I'd tell you it wasn't bad too. Run away screaming. Find a 4 cyl auto for maximum mileage, reliability and safety (by lack of speed) for your son. My first car was a 96 Accord and I beat on it for 60k miles before somebody stole it, it still started with no wheels sitting on blocks when insurance wrote it off...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah $6.9K is WAY too much.

If the collision was recent, as the other poster said, it would not take a whole lot of damage to total that car. But with a salvage title, that car is going to be very very very hard to sell.

If you want a long term beater, this may fit the bill. But if you ever want to sell it, then steer clear.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Yeah what everyone else said. And like someone else pointed out. If that times belt and water pump wasnt changed then thats another expense that will need done asap!! And its not cheap! Plus. .. then there is that trany!!! Was that fluid Ever changed??? If not. . You could be asking for it again..

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
My mommy loves me- no way she would have put me in a salvage car. Though there were times....

"An old gentleman and his wife"?!!? What is this, Mayberry? Is Sheriff Griffith gonna come out with Goober the mechanic to solve the dispute?

The BIGGEST liars I ever met in my short life have been old gentlemen....please don't let the seller's "story cover" fool you. This forum is telling you to skip it, and why.

I worked for the US Department of Transportation. I saw all kinds of wrecks, crashes, evidence, car testing, etc from Stuttgart, Germany to Tokyo, Japan. So I will say this: Unless Honda engineers rebuilt that car, chances are it was worked on by ex-convicts with substance abuse problems whose fat and psychopathic wives thrash them within inches of their lives.

And they cut corners (the ex-cons/"rebuilders", not the wives) to make Bossman richer.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Too many better deals our there to be had than buying an 06, salvage title with over 100k for $6,900. I'd skip it if I were you. Also, he's 17. Get him a 4 cylinder.

·
2006 I4 MT
1,689 Posts
Call up a bunch of salvaged title cars, they'll all say rear damaged :lmao:

I wouldn't buy a salvaged car myself due to safety concerns. Also, the car will never drive the same and you'll find water leaking into the car from all over the place.

·
Carpe Diem
2,565 Posts
A couple years ago I probably would have said the same thing everyone else said, don't do it.

However, my accord was in an accident over a year ago (rear end collision) and repairs were just under $12k. If there had been a couple hundred dollars more, they told me it would have been totaled. When I got the car back, I was worried it would never be the same again. However, the car looks and drives just like it did before the accident. I couldn't be happier with it and plan to keep it forever. My point is, as long as there was no frame damage and it looks/drives fine now, I don't see why you shouldn't take a chance on it. Just make sure you get it for under the KBB value for a similar accord with no salvage title. Don't pass up on a good car just because of the dreaded "salvage title".

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Don't do it!.... for that price. I wouldn't pay over 4 grand for it. Hopefully you won't have any trouble registering it.

If the damage was truly in rear and the car was totalled, it would probably have been a rear clip replacement. Better than a front clip, I can assure you. You'd have to really examine the car along the seams to see what was truly replaced. Take along a magnet and check the body panels with it. The parts that don't stick, are bondo. Fresh clean paint or body bolts that look molested are also clues. The thing you'd have to worry about, aside from the V6 tranny, are leaks and wheel alingment issues. Check under the spare tire for water. Douse the trunk with a garden hose and make sure nothing leaks inside. Do not buy the car unless you test drive it on the highway, 70 - 80mph. If you buy it, insist on a short warranty (even a week) then take it right away for an aligment check.

Many of us are unknowingly driving cars that should have salvage titles.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
A couple years ago I probably would have said the same thing everyone else said, don't do it.

However, my accord was in an accident over a year ago (rear end collision) and repairs were just under $12k. If there had been a couple hundred dollars more, they told me it would have been totaled. When I got the car back, I was worried it would never be the same again. However, the car looks and drives just like it did before the accident. I couldn't be happier with it and plan to keep it forever. My point is, as long as there was no frame damage and it looks/drives fine now, I don't see why you shouldn't take a chance on it. Just make sure you get it for under the KBB value for a similar accord with no salvage title. Don't pass up on a good car just because of the dreaded "salvage title".
In your situation I would have done the same thing. You got to see the car multiple times during the repair and the shop kept you informed. Truthfully, I was pretty amazed at how well you were treated when your car was in the shop, I want to know what shop that was so I can keep them in mind if needed.

This guy has no knowledge of why the car has a salvage title. I'd keep away unless it was dirt cheap if I were him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
This is why I love these forums! You members did not disappoint and thank you all very much for providing your comments and expertise so quickly. You all provided sound advice and I appreciate you taking time to help me make this decision. As the Nays outweigh the Yays, I'm inclined to move on from this deal. However, I do like the suggestion of looking at pictures and finding out who do the repairs. As the KBB value for an identical vehicle w/out a salvage title is over 11k,the deal was appealing. I was surprised to hear the value of 3-4k the responders thought was fair, but that's why I posted the question, to learn. The comments regarding the transmission issues for the V6 automatic was also something I wasn't aware of. It seemed as though someone stated that the worst years were 04 and 05 I believe so I'm not sure if the 06 was being placed under the same light? Are the 4 cylinder motors and transmissions more reliable that the V6 and does this go the same civic and accords?

Resale value is not a concern of mine at all. As these cars have such a reputation of reliability and longevity, my plan is to purchase something for my son so he can take to college next year(if the school permits it, some do not let freshman take cars so in that case the vehicle would sit idle for a year) and drive for 4 years. If there is anything left after that he would pass the keys over to my now 12 year old daughter. The wheels will be driven off this vehicle.

I also wanted to add a personal note. I bought a 02 BMW 5 series 5 years ago. No more than a month after getting this vehicle a deer ran out in front of me and I didn't even hit the brakes it happened so fast. Insurance paid over 11k for the repairs and didn't total the vehicle. I have had no issues with this vehicle in the past 5 years except normal maintenance. That was a direct hit to the front going 60 on the highway. Suppose if the airbags deployed they may have totaled it.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
The V6 and I4 in the Accords are both great motors with only minor issues that a few members run into. As far as transmissions it seems like both for the V6 can have issues and both for the I4 have very few issues.

Regarding Civics, I know the Si models have similar transmission issues as the 6-6 Accord (V6 6MT). I never heard anything about the AT models.

Honestly, take a look at the CRV as well, great mileage, AWD, bulletproof drivetrain, extra utility, etc. If I hadn't dreamed of a 7.5 gen Accord since I was in high school (I know, I'm weird), I would have definitely taken a look at similar year CRV's.

Good luck, sounds like you are going to need it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts