Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a roof rack for the upcoming snowboard season but I want to buy it used to save some money. Only problem is I'm not sure where to start. Do I need a stretch kit? Thule or Yakima?

Anyways, I'm lost... any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

2004 Honda Accord Coupe.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,413 Posts
I was doing research on it last year and found that Thule was made either in USA or Scandinavia somewhere, while the Yakima was from China. For my money, that makes it Thule.
Just so people actually have the correct info, Thule is a Swedish brand and is one of the seven brands that make up the larger The Thule Group. The other brands are:
  • Case Logic, makers of carrying cases and travel bags
  • Brenderup, a trailer manufacturer
  • Chariot, a maker of child carriers
  • Fogelsta, another trailer manufacturer
  • König, a maker of snow chains (not the wheels)
  • UWS, a manufacturer of storage and carrying products

Yakima is/was a U.S. company and was named after the city it was founded in.... Yakima, Washington.

It merged with Kemflo International, a Taiwanese company, in 2009. Their products are manufactured in China, Taiwan, and California.

Are their products inferior to Thule's because some are made in China and Taiwan? I don't think so. Apple products (i.e. iPhones, iPods, and Macs) are made in China and are of high quality. And people pay the higher premium for them.

Schlage is another company where their products made in China, and I have yet to experience any problems with their locks not working.

Just because a product is made in China or Taiwan does not mean it's of poor/poorer quality.

·
Formerly 00Accord4cyl
80 Posts
You could also go the used route if you find out what all you would need to fit your car. I was able to get everything on craigslist and two bike trays for $45. All I had to buy was the car specific Q-clips. I think new from Yakima that would of cost me around $600 or so. Two years down the road I sold everything for $200

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could also go the used route if you find out what all you would need to fit your car. I was able to get everything on craigslist and two bike trays for $45. All I had to buy was the car specific Q-clips. I think new from Yakima that would of cost me around $600 or so. Two years down the road I sold everything for $200
I wouldn't mind buying used. Where do I find out what I need?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.