Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
VCM DELETE
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Funny he says "don't buy the 1.5 it has oil dilution problems"

Also "This owner only gets 20MPG, don't expect good gas mileage"

I had the chance to drive a '19 sport, but it was NOT a 2.0T.

·
...and Pearl was her name...
2020 Accord Hybrid Touring pearl white
66 Posts
He’s one hyper person!

I love this guy’s knowledge and trust him totally.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Would be interesting to watch Alex on Autos and Scotty Kilmer work together on a car review.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
231 Posts
I find it hard to believe people take this man seriously. All he does is spew garbage then cite his "50 years of experience" when called out for it.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Really? Some of his video titles are a bit click-baity, other than that he keeps it straight. He seems to have a wealth of knowledge in car repairs too.

With that said, I think the problem with the 1.5t is a bit overhyped. It’s probably not nearly as bad as people think it is in reality.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Scotty was a paratrooper in the Army - 101st I think it was... That alone gives him credibility to me. :)

He's a solid citizen and an interesting guy with some quirks, but I think he's a straight shooter as far as that goes. His video on the S2000 is great.

·
Turbo lag
1,512 Posts
He is a TV/Youtube personality. It's true that he has over 50 years of real experience, but much like other TV/Youtube personalities, he'll do many things for views.

·
Registered
126 Posts
He is a TV/Youtube personality. It's true that he has over 50 years of real experience, but much like other TV/Youtube personalities, he'll do many things for views.
You can make 6 Figures just doing YouTube videos. Not a bad way to make a living.
Mine would be short and boring :)

·
66 Posts
Cuss him or love him. It is that what he says is true based on the complaints listed on the site “carcomplaints.com”. 2018 Accord 1.5t is listed with the issue he is reporting on.

Reactions: daniel walter

·
Registered
50 Posts
He’s one hyper person!

I love this guy’s knowledge and trust him totally.
He does flip flop on certain issues, but overall he's ok.

He's a master at Click Baiting people into his videos 😂

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cuss him or love him. It is that what he says is true based on the complaints listed on the site “carcomplaints.com”. 2018 Accord 1.5t is listed with the issue he is reporting on.
I'd hardly call 7 anonymous complaints with no data to back it up anything concrete... The 2019 and 2020 don't even have any complaints about gas in the engine oil.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
231 Posts
He's even said to avoid pretty much all newer cars because of the "complex computers" that "always go wrong" and "cost a fortune to fix". That was pretty much enough for me. He's a Toyota fanboy and it shows.

·
Turbo lag
1,512 Posts
He's even said to avoid pretty much all newer cars because of the "complex computers" that "always go wrong" and "cost a fortune to fix". That was pretty much enough for me. He's a Toyota fanboy and it shows.
I mean, he's not wrong (for right now)...

You must have not seen the title of any of his recent videos, even Toyota has been disappointing him recently. In a few years, the only form of transportation that he'd approve are either walking or maybe a bicycle.

Reactions: overlord

·
66 Posts
Kilmer probably does make a lot of money doing his videos, at least he is one in a million YouTube celebrities who will answer their email. You can recognize that voice from fifty feet away.

My vote is to respect him. What’s wrong with making money from your celebrity as long as it goes with real knowledge and assistance?

Ok, how many people here even know that there is a site carcomplaints.com? I know of it from 34 years of insurance claims handling and used it all the time. The common car owners would not know to add their stories. Also safercars.gov is another site to search on. I will go there too.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I used to like Scotty a lot- but in the past two years- his videos have become pretty lame. A few people mentioned clickbait- and that's a really good way to describe them. After watching quite a few of them that were extremely misleading- and seemed to fall into the category of an old man screaming at kids to get off their grass- I stopped watching.

I'm sure that he has a wealth of knowledge about cars- there's just too much bull in his videos lately.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Funny he says "don't buy the 1.5 it has oil dilution problems"
Have the 1.5 had that issue?
No.

I find it hard to believe people take this man seriously. All he does is spew garbage then cite his "50 years of experience" when called out for it.
Yep.

I'd hardly call 7 anonymous complaints with no data to back it up anything concrete... The 2019 and 2020 don't even have any complaints about gas in the engine oil.
And one has to wonder how many of those seven owners became suspicious because they were told of an issue, and over-reacted to whatever data they had.

[Edit] I just looked at the 7 complaints. 3 said "I heard/read this is a problem" and one was for a 2.0L Turbo.

+++++

From this video about a 2013 Camry XLE hybrid :

Now this isn't a Prius. The Prius use Atkinson cycle engines, which is small four-cylinder gas engines that don't have cams in them. It's an old design that kind of failed because they work fine but they don't put out enough horsepower. But since they want the biggest gas mileage they can in the Prius they use an Atkinson motor. But this engine [in the Camry behind him], it's just a conventional Toyota four-cylinder engine it's not an Atkinson cycle, it's a normal engine.
He kinda lost me when he said there are internal combustion engines that don't use cams. While touting himself as a professional mechanic with 50 years of experience.

For the record:
  • Both the Camry he is featuring in the video, and the Prius he compares it to, use dual-overhead cams.
  • Both the Camry and the Corolla (which uses the Prius's hybrid system) come in both conventional and hybrid versions.
  • The hybrid versions use the same "conventional Toyota four-cylinder engine" that is in the conventional version. They are tuned to the Atkinson-Miller cycle.
  • That means the valves close late, essentially making the power stroke longer than the intake stroke. This:
    • Decreases the peak power a little. The 1.8L i4 DOHC used in both the 2021 Corolla CVT and Hybrid drops from 139 HP to 121 HP.
    • Reduces the useful range of rpms.
    • Increases the efficiency. But peak power and rpm range are not as important to the hybrid, since the electric motors compensate.
  • The true Atkinson cycle-engine (as opposed to an Atkinson-cycle engine) shortened the stroke mechanically by altering the linkage to the piston, so it had an asymmetric cycle. It failed because of reliability issues.
But my point isn't to explain hybrids. It is that Scotty Kilmer will make claims that sound exciting, regardless of whether they are true, and without bothering to understand if or why they are not.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts