Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think Scotty is funny and relatively informative but take it with a grain of salt and do your own research. For his video on "never buy a Honda with this engine" he spoke about oil dilution caused by direct injection while working on a 15/16 CRV with an N/A K24W that has no known problem with oil dilution.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Have the 1.5 had that issue?
Welcome To DA! :p

To be clear the 1.5T engine has had known issues.
So much so, that Honda has extended the warranty on the power train.. on certain years of Civics and CR-Vs.
Supposedly, there were also notices sent out to certain individuals for software updates, oil change, etc...among other items as part of the campaign to try and correct the issue.
They have NOT extended warranties on any Accords, with the 1.5, to my knowledge.

Now, were those 1.5L Accord engines so dramatically different that they had no known issues at all, or was it the fact the the CR-V outsells every other car in Honda's lineup, and therefore they must take care of those buyers somehow??
The jury's still out on that one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
To be clear the 1.5T engine has had known issues.
So much so, that Honda has extended the warranty on the power train.. on certain years of Civics and CR-Vs.
Supposedly, there were also notices sent out to certain individuals for software updates, oil change, etc...among other items as part of the campaign to try and correct the issue.
They have NOT extended warranties on any Accords, with the 1.5, to my knowledge.

Now, were those 1.5L Accord engines so dramatically different that they had no known issues at all, or was it the fact the the CR-V outsells every other car in Honda's lineup, and therefore they must take care of those buyers somehow??
The jury's still out on that one.
From what I heard it has to do with short trips? I take a lot of long 300 mile trips so hoping it’s not effected. I will still change the oil on the low side of what Honda says

·
Registered
431 Posts
From what I heard it has to do with short trips? I take a lot of long 300 mile trips so hoping it’s not effected. I will still change the oil on the low side of what Honda says
Some oil dilution occurs in all direct fuel-injected cars when the engine is cold. The pistons haven't yet expanded to their proper fit in the cylinders, and gas that doesn't vaporize upon being injected (also because of below-normal temps) can stick on the cylinder wall and slip past the piston.

But gasoline vaporizes at higher temperatures, and it is expected that "normal" levels of gas in the oil will dissipate once the oil warms up. I can't say how much of this dilution is "normal," or how long it takes to dissipate once the engine is warm. But the fact that oil levels rise in the 2017-18 CR-Vs and Civics with the 1.5L Turbo, but not other cars, shows that they have abnormal levels. Especially if you live in cold climates, or drive a significant ;portion of the of the time before the car reaches proper temps.

The fix is to get the engines to warm up quicker, with software and tuning during the warm-up period. AFAIK, it has worked, and may be why the same engine in the Accord has few, if any, verified occurrences.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,002 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I mean, he's not wrong (for right now)...

You must have not seen the title of any of his recent videos, even Toyota has been disappointing him recently. In a few years, the only form of transportation that he'd approve are either walking or maybe a bicycle.
Bicycle is a maintenance nightmare. The chain derails all the time. And by "all the time" I mean I know someone who knows someone who was told that this happened to someone.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
250 Posts
Did a quick check = nothing. If you are offended by my statement/faulty memory, please accept my apology.
I don't blame you. However I do remember reading somewhere that his son is/was in the military. Can't remember where.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
471 Posts
Did a quick check = nothing. If you are offended by my statement/faulty memory, please accept my apology.
Nah, not offended, just curious. Most of the best co-workers I've had have been former military and, all else being equal, I appreciate those who have served and who are still serving...

Bicycle is a maintenance nightmare. The chain derails all the time. And by "all the time" I mean I know someone who knows someone who was told that this happened to someone.
Death traps too - when your pants catch in the chain and throw you off into the path of a bus - which happens all the time in the city! ;)

He kinda lost me when he said there are internal combustion engines that don't use cams.
I didn't watch the video, did he talk about rotary engines?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love him and still watch him to this day. You either love him or hate him for whatever reason. There are people that like you and others that don't, it's just how life is.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Excerpt from above:
"It’s absolutely hilarious, at least, to my non-expert eyes, that Kilmer encourages people to give him faulty cars to work on, then makes not one, but two YouTube videos on how their luxury car purchase was such a bad idea because the car is so faulty. Not only that, Kilmer makes the remark that three out of four of his Mercedes customers are so infantile and incompetent that they don’t even know what half of the buttons do. This is truly Emmy Award winning stuff here, people."

And...it always seems like it's a mystery to Scotty that these cars are expensive to fix.
Guess what Scotty?...the people that buy them, don't care!....they know that, going in...most of them get leased anyway.
But thanks for the heads up, Columbo.:p

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
He makes his videos outside in his driveway probably because he does not have an indoor voice.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Excerpt from above:
"It’s absolutely hilarious, at least, to my non-expert eyes, that Kilmer encourages people to give him faulty cars to work on, then makes not one, but two YouTube videos on how their luxury car purchase was such a bad idea because the car is so faulty. Not only that, Kilmer makes the remark that three out of four of his Mercedes customers are so infantile and incompetent that they don’t even know what half of the buttons do. This is truly Emmy Award winning stuff here, people."

And...it always seems like it's a mystery to Scotty that these cars are expensive to fix.
Guess what Scotty?...the people that buy them, don't care!....they know that, going in...most of them get leased anyway.
I do agree with him on Mercedes. I had a 2002 clk430 and liked the car but always had some issues and the dealer wants like $350 just to check it.
I am a good mechanic but it has stabilizer and abs lights I was never able to fix. Tried for a year reading every forum and tracing grounds.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think when people become rich and famous, there are just going to be people who hate them, for whatever reasons, no matter what they do. It is always bound to happen. Sure, Scotty maybe has made some mistakes on his channel, but have I not made any in my life? Who am I to judge? I don’t take everything he says as truth either and don’t even agree with him on some issues in his channel. But to me at least, he’s genuinely trying to help others in his videos. Whether it actually helps me or not, at least the right intent is there. So I have zero issue with him making a buck while doing it, or in his case, hundreds of thousands. Good for him.

Interestingly enough, I’m also a fan of Tavaresh, the critic of his, and find his videos to be entertaining, just as much as I do in Scotty’s videos.

Reactions: markayash and PapaD

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Excerpt from above:

If you watch his channel enough, he is actually talking about those who buy them used... not those who leased them. I’ve actually seen him on his channel telling people to lease these cars new instead of buying them. Not exactly new info to me, and you’re right, those who buy new probably wouldn’t care, but to those who want a Mercedes (or whatever unreliable luxury car) by buying used, it can be helpful.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nah, not offended, just curious. Most of the best co-workers I've had have been former military and, all else being equal, I appreciate those who have served and who are still serving...
I have a vague and apparently inaccurate memory of Scotty going on a motor cycle ride with veterans and having an Airborne flag/banner on his bike.
I'm a Vietnam veteran, 1967-1968, 52nd MID, 11th Infantry Brigade, Americal Division.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I owned - bought new and was my road car - a 2014 Accord EX-L with the 2.4 direct-injection. I loved the power and the economy, but it did 'use' oil. I drive ~40K a year between LA & the Bay area, and found out about and did a some investigation of direct-injection engines. The issue is common to this design, not just a manufacture, as Toyota found and changed to both port & direct injection to combat the negative oil buildup on the valves.
I am not interested in Honda's turbo engine lineup, mostly because of the added equipment and stress, but I can easily imagine the oil blow-by being made much worse on a 'pressurized' engine. When I was looking at a 10th-Gen Accord - with the 2.0 & AT - I saw quite a few post & You-Tube video's on the issue, usually touting a catch-can and getting quantities of several ounces in 5K miles.
I now have a 2016 Accord EX-L V6 & AT, and it doesn't 'use' oil over the same routes and change intervals. Yes, the V6 is Port-injected. Last I heard, they were investigating the rings and the lower one in particular.
I would certainly like to believe Honda has looked into this issue and is hopefully ready to implement corrective changes.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I'm on the fence about oil dilution. I did notice that my oil level seemed high at the end of my last interval, but i don't have a baseline for the beginning. I just changed and forgot to sample for blackstone. I need to check my level and measure how much comes out at the end vs how much goes in at the beginning.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts