Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, has anyone found a decent waterless product to keep their car clean outside? We don't have a garage, only a covered carport, and our hose doesn't reach!
I was looking at getting the California duster, but I've been hearing some mixed reviews about it leaving scratch marks on darker paints. I've got beautiful burgundy paint, so I'm looking for recommendations that won't scratch or damage the paint at all, and preferably something that would remove springtime pollen. Thanks!

·
Turbocharged
813 Posts
I know it's not the answer you are looking for, but buy longer hoses. I really don't trust any waterless cleaner/products. The closest thing I can think of is the AMMO FROTHE. But even then, you still need to spray down the car with a spray bottle and then wipe it off with A LOT of microfiber towel to prevent scratches.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,885 Posts
^^ This. I just wouldn't do it.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,266 Posts
Tap water sprayed on the paint will just leave mineral deposits that will bake into the surface by the sun and etch. Not really many options if the car has to stay outside.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How often do wax your car?????
Never, unfortunately. I was hoping to have it professionally done at some point during a detail, someone told me before that you can damage the paint somehow if you do it wrong. No idea how true that is though- this is my first car.

I was thinking of getting a car cover, but my mom drives my car occasionally to keep it running well while I'm away at college, and she doesn't want to keep removing the cover and putting it back on after each trip around the block, so I guess that's out of the question too. But can anyone attest to their effectiveness?

Tap water sprayed on the paint will just leave mineral deposits that will bake into the surface by the sun and etch. Not really many options if the car has to stay outside.
Unfortunately, it seems so. With a black car, I think you'd know best!

·
2011 LX-S Coupe Automatic
166 Posts
It is so easy to wax your car. Use a good quality paste wax, and follow the directions. Car covers are great.... You have to wax your car before you cover it. If you don't you will see small micro scratches in the clear. Do the waxing by hand. Do not ever use a buffing machine. I would wax your car every six months.

Good luck,
Dimitri

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,850 Posts
66 pages in all. Due to Photobucket's crapola many if not most of the photos are gone. Still good information remains:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, has anyone found a decent waterless product to keep their car clean outside? We don't have a garage, only a covered carport, and our hose doesn't reach!
I was looking at getting the California duster, but I've been hearing some mixed reviews about it leaving scratch marks on darker paints. I've got beautiful burgundy paint, so I'm looking for recommendations that won't scratch or damage the paint at all, and preferably something that would remove springtime pollen. Thanks!
This has worked extremely well on my 18 Accord:

·
Registered
3 Posts
A dark color, no garage, and you want to keep it looking nice? That is quite a combination, but it is possible. You have to decide how much time and money you want to put into this endeavor.
I have a bit of OCD, and as such, my cars have to look good all the time. There are times when the car gets a little dusty and not quite needing a hose and bucket. That's when I use Griot's Garage Speed Shine or their Spray On Wash. Of course, when it is parked outside all the time, you will need to do this every couple of days, or maybe even daily during the spring because of the pollen. The more frequently you do it, the less fine scratches you will put in the finish.
To start with though, it is absolutely essential that you always have a good coat of wax or sealer on top of a properly prepared (contaminants removed and polished) paint surface. Depending on what product you use, you will need to wax it every 3-9 months. For you, I recommend their One Step Paint Sealant. I get a year out of that product. But that is garage kept and weekly washing. You should not expect to get over 9 months with your conditions.
This can be done by hand, or with a random orbital buffer. Despite what one person posted that you should never use such tool, the right tool and the right product is completely safe. Even for the inexperienced. I agree that you should not use a high speed polisher. The key is RANDOM ORBITAL.
I do not work for Griot's Garage, but find them on the internet, give them a call and their Customer Service people can point you in the right direction.
And by the way, find a friend that will let you do the polishing and buffing in their garage. You don't want sun or fallout landing on your paint when you are working on it!

·
07 Sdn
353 Posts
Buy two buckets, a grit guard and Optimum No Rinse.
No garage here, just a driveway, I use Optimum No Rinse. People who have had a problem with waterless wash are people who don't know what they are doing or are in a hurry.
With ONR I use the two bucket method, fill two buckets with water, throw a few ounces of ONR into one, the other bucket is the rinse clean bucket. Do one panel at a time.
Dip your sponge in the ONR water, wash the panel top down, then wipe clean with a quality microfiber cloth, dip sponge in rinse clean bucket, repeat.
Real life saver, especially in the winter months because I NEVER take my cars to the car wash, EVER :)
Go to some of the top detailing forums if you want more assurances ;) Hasn't failed me yet, car is dark blue.

Autogeekonline Auto Detailing Forum
to name a couple ^^^

·
Registered
3 Posts
Buy two buckets, a grit guard and Optimum No Rinse.
No garage here, just a driveway, I use Optimum No Rinse. People who have had a problem with waterless wash are people who don't know what they are doing or are in a hurry.
With ONR I use the two bucket method, fill two buckets with water, throw a few ounces of ONR into one, the other bucket is the rinse clean bucket. Do one panel at a time.
Dip your sponge in the ONR water, wash the panel top down, then wipe clean with a quality microfiber cloth, dip sponge in rinse clean bucket, repeat.
Real life saver, especially in the winter months because I NEVER take my cars to the car wash, EVER :)
Go to some of the top detailing forums if you want more assurances ;) Hasn't failed me yet, car is dark blue.

Autogeekonline Auto Detailing Forum
to name a couple ^^^
I concur with Yal. Two bucket method, each with a grit guard or similar. Great point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts