Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. I'm pretty upset right now. 2 days ago we got a good amount of snow here in WI and I didnt have my brush in the car to clear my windows (I never use it on the painted surface of my car.) So I was joking around with an old guy here (who I normally talk about car stuff with) about how long I was going to have to leave my car on to melt the snow off the windows after I got out of here.

I go out after work and see him just finishing clearing off my WHOLE CAR. Painted surfaces and everything. While my first thought was that it was nice of him, my second thought was how many scratches I was going to have in the paint now.

So last night when I got home I looked at the car and can see small scratches in the paint that follow the dried water marks from the direction that he took his brush over my paint. There are a TON of lovely little microscratches. I kinda want to rip the guys head off now and tell him to keep his hands off my s*** even if he's trying to help.

Not only are there scratches on the paint, but there are also scratches on the shinyish plasticy trim thats on the back edge of the door between the handle and the top of the door.

Can I get the micro scratches out of the plastic? If so, how? Normal polish? Will that make it worse?

He's just lucky I had planned for a polish this spring anyway..

BTW - Its a CBP (BLACK!!!!:furious::furious::furious::furious:) 09 Accord Coupe V6MT

·
6,322 Posts
No big deal although I wouldn't be happy about it either.

Just apply a one step polish & sealant. Otc Nufinish, Duragloss #101(much better), Duragloss Swirl Remover(best result using a 1 step). All of the preceeding contain a sealant for protection.

www.duragloss.com

Side note: your black paint is notriously soft so it picks up scratches very easily.

For even better results use a dedicated polish like one of the Meguiars products(ultimate compound).

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Believe it or not I doubt the scratches are that deep and will probably come out with a good swirl remover wax product.

I know I have done the same thing with my accord on the plastic trim around the rear view mirrors with the ice scraper. The scratches looked bad at first but came right out with a wax.

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
Ouch! I made that mistake on my first car during the winter. Was probably worse than yours, black car and I used a broom :/

·
NJDR
862 Posts
hahaha that ****s man :/ my car is CBP too i never clean the snow off to the paint lol i use like the other side of snow brush because it has like a squeegee side

·
Generation 9
565 Posts
Snow !!

I was just thinking of this the other day after being dumped with snow AGAIN. I did not touch the paint surface with the brush and just wiped off the top few inches. I didn't know the paint would scratch so easily but something told me don't do it. Is it true the black will swirl easier than other colors or is it just the color that makes them more visible? And how does the scratch remover work really? Doesn't it have to remove "unscratched" clear coat to make the surface even out? How often can you do this before you get to the actual paint? :paranoid:

·
Registered
665 Posts
I was just thinking of this the other day after being dumped with snow AGAIN. I did not touch the paint surface with the brush and just wiped off the top few inches. I didn't know the paint would scratch so easily but something told me don't do it. Is it true the black will swirl easier than other colors or is it just the color that makes them more visible? And how does the scratch remover work really? Doesn't it have to remove "unscratched" clear coat to make the surface even out? How often can you do this before you get to the actual paint? :paranoid:
Black cars don't scratch easier, but the color does make scratches stand out more. A polish does work by removing a very thin layer of paint, while products like Scratch X, IIRC, fill in the scratches to create an even coat.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Scratch-X 2.0 removes scratchs and has fillers IIRC. A good polish will clean up your paint nicely. You could do it yourself or just have it detailed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts