Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone explain to me how this whole brake pad screecher crap works?? why is it that it screeches when the brakes are not being applied & are just coasting, accelerating or moving, period. The noise actually lessens when the brakes are applied. Is this supposed to happen?? I know it is not supposed to happen at 30k miles in any other car, but is it supposed to screech like this even when the brakes are not applied?? i have a brand new car that sounds like absolute crap, its embarrassing. why the hell would honda do this on purpose??

2ndly, is it possible to replace the worst set of brake pads Ive ever seen w/ after markets that do not have these screechers built into them?? i would rather go after market then replace the pads with another horribly conceived product. This is no sports car, i know, but even before the screeching, I have had a few close calls & unexpected stomping on the brakes to not rear end a car in front of me who suddenly stops. in order to compensate for braking front dip, they bias the rear brakes more i think & thats why they wear out quicker. just guessing, but either way, what the heck is going on here?? I woulda bought a hyundai if i knew Honda was pulling stunts like this. if you are gonna make a 3500lb car look sporty, make sure it has some decent brakes. i baby the heck out of this car, drive 99% highways, & my brakes are shot & screeching like i own a pinto. the dealer is not gonna be happy to see me, thats for sure. also, possibly unrelated, but i took my car for its 3rd oil change in 30k miles w/ 40% oil left on the MM. that should tell you how I baby the car. but, 2 weeks after bringing it into the dealer for the oil change, the brakes start screeching. I'd like to give the stealership credit for doing this to my car, but i rationally think it is just Honda's craftsmanship, or lack thereof. any advice or explanation would be great. thanks all.

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
2,105 Posts
All brake pads have wear indicators build into them (a.k.a. what you call screechers). When your brakes make noise w/o you using them, it's the wear indicator telling you its time to change your brakes.

And stop being so paranoid. I sincerely doubt your dealer messed with your brakes. Also, at 30k miles, its about time to change your rear pads.

Lastly, its an Accord, not a Ferrari, there is no reason to excessively baby it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply & the sarcasm. I am sorry if i offended you by expressing my opinion about Honda's brake issues. 30k miles for rear brakes is not normal, except in a ferrari.

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
2,105 Posts
thanks for the quick reply & the sarcasm. I am sorry if i offended you by expressing my opinion about Honda's brake issues. 30k miles for rear brakes is not normal, except in a ferrari.
I agree with you. 30k miles on regular brake pads is not normal, expected wear. However, I do my own work and good rear brake pads cost $50 dollars. I can understand why you would be grumpy about it if the brakes cost you $225 - $250 to replace. I'm sure that money would be more comfortable under your pillow (sarcasm :) ).

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
can someone explain to me how this whole brake pad screecher crap works?? why is it that it screeches when the brakes are not being applied & are just coasting, accelerating or moving, period. The noise actually lessens when the brakes are applied. Is this supposed to happen?? I know it is not supposed to happen at 30k miles in any other car, but is it supposed to screech like this even when the brakes are not applied?? i have a brand new car that sounds like absolute crap, its embarrassing. why the hell would honda do this on purpose??

2ndly, is it possible to replace the worst set of brake pads Ive ever seen w/ after markets that do not have these screechers built into them?? i would rather go after market then replace the pads with another horribly conceived product. This is no sports car, i know, but even before the screeching, I have had a few close calls & unexpected stomping on the brakes to not rear end a car in front of me who suddenly stops. in order to compensate for braking front dip, they bias the rear brakes more i think & thats why they wear out quicker. just guessing, but either way, what the heck is going on here?? I woulda bought a hyundai if i knew Honda was pulling stunts like this. if you are gonna make a 3500lb car look sporty, make sure it has some decent brakes. i baby the heck out of this car, drive 99% highways, & my brakes are shot & screeching like i own a pinto. the dealer is not gonna be happy to see me, thats for sure. also, possibly unrelated, but i took my car for its 3rd oil change in 30k miles w/ 40% oil left on the MM. that should tell you how I baby the car. but, 2 weeks after bringing it into the dealer for the oil change, the brakes start screeching. I'd like to give the stealership credit for doing this to my car, but i rationally think it is just Honda's craftsmanship, or lack thereof. any advice or explanation would be great. thanks all.
1) The screeching noise issue
All brake pads have this "feature". It's there to tell you it's time to change the pads. You have about 5K miles left before it wears down to the metal and you will have a very expensive bill waiting. I don't see what the fuss is about... Would you rather deal with the noise indicator or be blissfully ignorant driving the car until the brake fails because you have worn the pads down the metal?

2) The wear issue
Yes, 30K to replace pads is immature. However, try to visit any other car forums, Audi, Toyota, Lexus, BMW....etc... Heck, even car magazines where they test the car long term. There are ALWAYS some complaints about brake wear issues. They all seem to need pads change around 30K.

3) The pads replacement

Option A: Honda has recently redesigned the brake pads to address the wear issues. You maybe entitled to a free replacement or cost-reductionn if you bring in the TSB

Option B: Autozone Duralast Gold CMax Pads. Users of them have nothing but praise for these pads. Life time warranty means you will never have to pay for brake pads ever again.

Option C: Performance oriented drivers should look into upgrade options from Throwdown. http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47809. With your expected upgrades, perhaps you should look into this option.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tyvm yrmed & Ice. So, is it normal for the screeching to occur when the brakes are not being applied at all?? b/c thats my biggest qualm or issue, persay. I understand now that all new brake pads have these indicators (b/c the old graphite or whatever they were called upgrades i bought about 4 yrs ago, did not have any screechers, nor did any brakes ive encountered years ago. so, this is new to me. but, if the sound screeches while coasting or driving, that means there is some contact on my rotor & brake pad when the brakes are not in use. This is a no brainer about why premature wear occurs & also why i4 owners & possibly v6, alike, complain of horrible mpg. if the brakes have been slightly gripping the entire time i have owned the car, no wonder they fade quick (b/c they are always running somewhat hot after a 10 mins of driving) & no wonder they wear out quick too. add the compensation for front dipping during braking & more rear brake bias, it seems like a recipe for disaster. this is my qualm, how could Honda, knowing & servicing all the cars with premature brake wear not offer a free solution/fix for one, & 2, why did it take them sooo long to start to give in w/ the recent TSB. then i hear about pins being placed backwards & incorrectly etc, it really upsets me. b/c i love any car I own. especially one i bought new. my 1st new car purchase & 1st import. I was drawn in by the supposedly irrefutably impeccable reputation of honda quality/craftsmanship & am genuinely upset as a consumer. I mean, the paint is soooooo thin, you cant even breathe too hard on it w/o sheetmetal showing. some of the fittings are a bit off. there has been a gap betw my left rear c pillar on the inside. the pieces which go along the side of the seat/headrest & then connects to the upper part towards the rear window has a literaly 1+" gap in it. I hear so much road noise directionally from that spot. yet, 2 techs & a manager claimed they could not hear it. so, i took them on a highway & they yielded finally to agreeing with me. as far as fixing it, no dice. they said there's nothing they can do besides recommend filling the area w/ expanding foam/sound deadening material. i was just so appalled at that solution, i never went back to that dealer. it was the nearest to me, so that ****ed. The next dealer does my oil change etc & says the air filter costs $65 & $35 to install. thank goodness i got my sri at home, b/c wut the hell is that?? 100 bux to swap a air filter????? just for kicks, i asked my local dealer, they wanted $80 altogether. just absurd. i cant correlate dealership experience to honda as a company, but i can say that i, again, was just disappointed in the Honda experience thus far. i realize, my problems could be actually serious. but, if something so simple as the brake system acts this way, it now makes me worry about the rest of the car.

sorry for the ramble. since i ranted, my question may have been lost to some perusers.

is it normal for the screeching to occur when the brakes are not being applied or screeching while driving on the highway or just coasting, it screeches non stop, regardless of using the brakes. thanks again all.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes, when the brake pads are worn the wear indicator may make contact with the rotor and screech, even when you are not applying the brakes.

Get your brakes checks right away and replaced if necessary. This is most likely the case, as the 8th gen Accord original brake pads generally doesn't last very long.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
is it normal for the screeching to occur when the brakes are not being applied or screeching while driving on the highway or just coasting, it screeches non stop, regardless of using the brakes. thanks again all.
Yes, it's supposed to make noise when you're not applying brake. It's simply a metal tab that scrapes on the rotor when the pads wear low. As you apply brake, the metal tab gets filed off and the noise should go away briefly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
fyi..

owned honda's since 82
most accords, if not all have crappy OEM brakes...pads and rotors
most OEM pads will last 30-35k miles before replacement is needed
most OED rotors will last 80-95k miles.....
literally just replaced my rear pads last night
bought ceramic racing from napa...$55.00 for a pair
my aftermarkets usually last 55-65k miles before replacement
aftermarket crossdrilled and slotted racing rotors (entry level) will cost you $80-120 but will easily last 100k
my last ones on my old 97 honda lasted 125k before being tended to

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow, great picture Ice!! tyvm for that explanation. it is all clear as day now to me.

last question - are there any warranty issues w/ installing after-market rotors?? I am thinking of buying aftermarket, unless dealer happens to do it for free. highly unlikely there......but, as mentioned for well under 150, i could get quality parts. i will do so if theres no warranty issues down the line. could honda say, oh, u got these brembo rotors ( for example, no brembos on this car), so thats why this happened etc etc....i gotta 6 yr warranty on the ****er. over 4 years left on the warranty. but, i already have modded the suspension, exhaust & intake ( i remove when taking to dealer tho ), which I am sure voids the warranty someway somehow.....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just an update, the rear pads still screech. there is still 30% life in the pad, it is late december now. so, for 6 months, the pads have been screeching telling me i need new pads when i really Still do not. to me, that is almost criminal & like robbery. if i would have listened to the dealer or most people on the forum, i would have replaced rear pads with over 50% life left. again, why the heck do they make the screechers screech when there is soooo much pad left??? i am beginning to think that they did it to make money & just have us prematurely replace pads when not necessary. or, they did this b/c they knew they had some faulty issue with the brake set up & would have the pwners come in to replace the pads early & fix the issue they wont tell us about on the low. either way, i have been driving round with a screeching new honda for 7 months with no good reason other than horrrrrrrrible craftsmanship. i bought a set of drilled rotors & aftermarket pads in july. i refuse to put them on until its supposed to be put on, which will be by februarys end or so. thanks honda. so sad. its especially sad for all of those people who replaced there pads when there was probably 50-60% of the pad left just b/c of the screeching. if honda didnt charge 300 bux to do the job, it would be no big deal. but, taking it to honda would be insanity defined, repeating the same mistake over & over expecting a new result?!?! lol. meineke would be better, & thats just sad. i do not see myself buying a honda ever again. the only way it could happen is if they made a proper sports car, akin to the good ole prelude. but, with some actual horsepower & more than just sporty looks. in retrospect, i shoulda waited for the hyundai genesis coupe or gotten a used 350z or bmw 330 coupe. any choice would have been much better, esp with fuel economy. i would have gotten the v6 for another 50/month if i would have known the mpg would have been so damn piss poor. $ wasnt the issue, economics & practicality were. neither characteristic is distinguishable in the lx-s. its practical if u want a heavy car w/ low mpg that looks good. thats about it tho. str8 line acceleration, braking, even body roll/handling are all mediocre at best, if not below average. then there is the refinement, fit, NVH atrocities. the glove box rattle, the highway shimmy, the horrrrrrible audio system, i could keep going....oh well, lesson learned. i feel better now. wish ichiro was still around, he woulda never let this happen. i also wish i could send this review to someone at Honda who would read it & do something about it. least the people on the forum can read it & make a wiser decision.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Jeez...just get rid of your car already.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
OP, it's a coupe based on the Accord sedan. It's not a sports car and it's not intended to be. For being a regular passenger car the body roll and handling are not bad and are better than many other cars. Honda doesn't market it as a sports car or even a sporty car like Mazda does with many models.

You bought a large, heavy car with a 4 cylinder engine, of course acceleration is not great. This should have been obvious during the test drive. You complain about the fuel mileage of the I4 vs the V6 but if you checked the fuel economy ratings on the window sticker you would have seen that the difference was small.

You say that this is the first set of pads you have ever seen with wear indicators, that they went off with over 50% life left, and that there is 30% life left now. What was the measurement when you first heard the squealing, what is the measurement now, and what is the measurement of new pads? If you don't know, you are just guessing. Pads are like tires, you aren't supposed to run them until they completely wear out.

My Accord is my first Honda and is far from perfect, but it is much better than many other cars I have owned. If you're that unhappy with it then dump it and get something else.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
WOW...... Calm down and pick up ur va gina off the ground. These indicators are to save your life. Yea it ****s that the pads wear down early... but they squeal so you know to change them and its good that they irritate you due to the fact that you should get them replaced. Go to the dealer they changed mine for free no questions asked

·
Registered
399 Posts
Maybe there are some small rocks stuck between your paid and rotor or the dust cover.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
avs, i took the wheel off & checked, b/c the squeek was coming from the driver's side only. there was no sediment/dirt etc causing the sound. it was def the metal tab making contact. i still have about 6mm on that left rear rotor as a guess. it is the same on the right rear side too. i am not sure what they came with new, im guessing new they are around 15mm. either way, ive always changed them at 3-5mm anyhow in the past. so, they are due for a changing now, just not 7 months ago when the screeching began. when the screeching began, i had over 9mm of brake pad when i took the wheel off & checked. so, im guessing it is around 5 or 6mm now. the minimum acceptable is 2-3mm imo. anything beyond that & ur asking for trouble.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Yep, with OEM pads, when you start to hear the screech, you should have about 5K miles left under normal driving condition. That's about 2-3 months window to get them changed.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
avs, i took the wheel off & checked, b/c the squeek was coming from the driver's side only. there was no sediment/dirt etc causing the sound. it was def the metal tab making contact. i still have about 6mm on that left rear rotor as a guess. it is the same on the right rear side too. i am not sure what they came with new, im guessing new they are around 15mm. either way, ive always changed them at 3-5mm anyhow in the past. so, they are due for a changing now, just not 7 months ago when the screeching began. when the screeching began, i had over 9mm of brake pad when i took the wheel off & checked. so, im guessing it is around 5 or 6mm now. the minimum acceptable is 2-3mm imo. anything beyond that & ur asking for trouble.
Was the measurement the inside or outside pad. It was the inside pad that was giving early 8th gen owners issues because it was wearing much faster than the outside pad. Since you already have new pads and rotors you can bend the wear indicator so it stops making contact. You know you need to change them soon and have the parts, just keep an eye on them. There's also the TSB posted on here about the slider pins being reversed, check that when you do the brakes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
fyi..

owned honda's since 82
most accords, if not all have crappy OEM brakes...pads and rotors
most OEM pads will last 30-35k miles before replacement is needed
most OED rotors will last 80-95k miles.....
literally just replaced my rear pads last night
bought ceramic racing from napa...$55.00 for a pair
my aftermarkets usually last 55-65k miles before replacement
aftermarket crossdrilled and slotted racing rotors (entry level) will cost you $80-120 but will easily last 100k
my last ones on my old 97 honda lasted 125k before being tended to
i just purchased all around drilled and slotted rotors, and bought honda factory pads because i heard factory's pads are better , bad idea huh

1 - 20 of 24 Posts