Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Honda=reliable. BMW=fun.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '07 SE-V6 with automatic with 56K miles.

Lately, when the car is accelerating and shifting near redline (hard acceleration), I hear a thud/clunk when the car goes from 1st to 2nd gear. It sounds like it's coming from the driver side front wheel area.

Is that bad? What could be making that noise? :dunno:

·
Honda=reliable. BMW=fun.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this only happens in the lower gears (torque related I'm guessing?)

·
6,322 Posts
Has the trans fluid been changed recently and what color is the fluid? Check the dipstick. The trans is not the cars strong point and I wouldn't be flogging it.

·
Honda=reliable. BMW=fun.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fluid was changes less than 1K miles ago. The same noise happened both before and after the fluid change.

What prompted me to change the fluid was the fact that the transmission was hesitating/shuddering on certain shifts, when it's cold out. Now it's shifting better, but same noise.

·
6,322 Posts
Did you use Honda atf? An upgrade to that would be full syn Redline D4. But since your car is still under the powertrain warranty(60K) I might hold off on upgrading to the D4 at this point. Esp if you can get a free replacement trans under warranty.

·
Honda=reliable. BMW=fun.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was done by the local Honda dealer, so I assume they used Honda ATF. Also, the car was purchased as a CPO car, and the CPO warranty (drivetrain portion) is valid until end of 2013 or 100K...

So, should I be driving it harder so as to accelerate the warranty replacement? :D

·
Honda=reliable. BMW=fun.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In all seriousness, are a lot of people with higher mileage 7th Gen V6's having tranny issues?

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's what has been going around.. how often do you change your tranny fluid??

·
Registered
297 Posts
There was a thread somewhere about high mileage 7th Gen V6 having bad transmission, and it also mentioned how to possibly counter this.. trying searching the forum. Or someone might post a link on here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This sounds like it could be a motor or transmission mount. As the transmission is shifting high, the torque could move the engine enough to cause the thud noise and the clunk went it falls back.
If a mount were broken or loose it could cause this.
I have 91K on mine and don't hear any sound between shifts so far.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the same exact problem!

Although I have a 4cyl auto with 73k. I brought it to my shop and they suspected it was the exhaust shield and put a clamp on it. But that wasn't it.

It almost sounds like a clutch chattering. Mine would come and go, but now it's to the point I hear it every time I drive.

Sorry to go off topic but I'm curious what it can be.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav
871 Posts
This sounds like it could be a motor or transmission mount. As the transmission is shifting high, the torque could move the engine enough to cause the thud noise and the clunk went it falls back.
If a mount were broken or loose it could cause this.
I have 91K on mine and don't hear any sound between shifts so far.
Thats excatly what i was going to say. I had a motor mount go bad on me when I only had 85K on the car. Motor mounts can go bad if you floor it from stop causing the engine to shift towards the mount, putting alot of pressure on the mount. Something has to give right! I suggest that on ur next oil change have them take a look at ur mounts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey guys, ended up searching some more and came to the conclusion that it is the exhaust heat shield. Apparently they are very thin and will rust after a couple years. Next time I go to the dealer I'll see how much a new one is, but I may tear my current one off in the mean time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts