Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
@milmast
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I know there are a TON of people that a) dont know what SeaFoam is, and 2) what it does.

Seafoam is an engine cleaning solution designed to improve efficiency and performance. It costs about 8 bucks and is WELL worth it. Here is a quick How-To video. It not only shows how you do it, but it also shows the amount of Carbon build-up that was created during the combustion in the engine, through the exhaust smoke.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I always thought Seafoam was for older auto (like my 89' Mercedes) which had a tendency to built up a lot of sludge. I would be very leery of using it on today's modern pzev engines...........might cause more harm than good.

Just MHO.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Always appreciate "how to" videos, but I'm in the above category that would be skeptical of just dumping "magic chemicals" into my vehicle, especially if you're the first (or since-low-mile) owner who has been using quality fuel and oil.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
Hey guys. I know there are a TON of people that a) dont know what SeaFoam is, and 2) what it does.

Seafoam is an engine cleaning solution designed to improve efficiency and performance. It costs about 8 bucks and is WELL worth it. Here is a quick How-To video. It not only shows how you do it, but it also shows the amount of Carbon build-up that was created during the combustion in the engine, through the exhaust smoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7dYt-a6qeI
The smoke from the Seafoam process is not from carbon build up but from the Seafoam itself. Put Seafoam into a brand new carbon free engine and you'll get the same smoke.

I wouldn't use this in a modern car. No need to. Even older cars, like my 17 year old Jag, don't seem to benefit from this Seafoam.

I might use something to decarbon a direct injection gas engine but I would ONLY use what the engine manufacturer recommends and only at the recommended intervals.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The smoke from the Seafoam process is not from carbon build up but from the Seafoam itself. Put Seafoam into a brand new carbon free engine and you'll get the same smoke.

I wouldn't use this in a modern car. No need to. Even older cars, like my 17 year old Jag, don't seem to benefit from this Seafoam.

I might use something to decarbon a direct injection gas engine but I would ONLY use what the engine manufacturer recommends and only at the recommended intervals.
Markus is right, and SeaFoam has been proven many times over on the marine scene as being quite the lousy carbon remover. I mean even guys letting old 2 stroke outboard pistons that were 15 years old soak in it for a day and it didn't remove the carbon.

Money wasted IMO

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
I sea foamed my 2004 Audi A4 1.8turbo... didn't cause any problems.. Whether it helped or didn't.. $8 isn't that big of a waste.
Given how effective this stuff is you'd be better off giving your measly and apparently unimportant $8 to charity. :D

Charities will love you for it, especially if you follow the OP's ridiculous advice use Seafoam every 3000 miles.

·
@milmast
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You haven't used this product. I know for fact it works because I've used it multiple times on not only my car, but customer cars and they can see a noticeable difference when they put the pedal down, and so can I. Try it once and you'll see what I mean. This shit actually works

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
You haven't used this product. I know for fact it works because I've used it multiple times on not only my car, but customer cars and they can see a noticeable difference when they put the pedal down, and so can I. Try it once and you'll see what I mean. This shit actually works
You are wrong. I have used this product. It did nothing aside from creating white smoke. I have friends who have used it and have found it useless.

If you think it really does something on a car as new as yours then I suggest there is something seriously wrong with your car. There is very very little carbon or anything else building up inside a properly functioning modern engine in just 3000 miles.

·
Registered
62 Posts
And did you test MPGs before and after the seafoam "experiment"? There is a 99.99% chance the difference you and your "customers" are experiencing is just a placebo effect...don't know what that is, then look it up

And like Markus said, if your '09 is already needing engine treatments, then something isn't right with your motor

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
SMHH at mr fake type r....

and your recommendation of doing it every 3k miles OMFG!!!!!!!! what is wrong with you?

you should NEVER even use this on a new car.

lmao i think thats steamed rice coming out of your exhaust

·
7th Gear
3,424 Posts
Be prepared for unexpected results that may make your enging run worse.

As an engine wears, it gets small grooves and areas which fill in with crud. While this sounds bad, it allows the engine to keep pace with itself.

Now you introduce this which is supposed to clean out all the crud, but you will now have those exposed spaces. Rings...ect....

I would only use this stuff as a last resort.

Just my opinion. Yours may vary.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I pour a can in the engine oil before I get the oil changed and drive around a bit.
I also pour a can in the gas tank every oil change.
I didn't watch the video but I'd never use it as direct injection (I'm assuming that is the video demo).
Does it help!?!?! Not sure, no proof it doesn't help.
I've been doing this in my truck and the past two new cars we've owned.

Curiosity got the best of me and I did watch the video. And I WOULD NOT introduce Sea Foam the way he did. Too many things to go wrong. But I do stand by my method.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
I pour a can in the engine oil before I get the oil changed and drive around a bit.
I also pour a can in the gas tank every oil change.
I didn't watch the video but I'd never use it as direct injection (I'm assuming that is the video demo).
Does it help!?!?! Not sure, no proof it doesn't help.
I've been doing this in my truck and the past two new cars we've owned.

Curiosity got the best of me and I did watch the video. And I WOULD NOT introduce Sea Foam the way he did. Too many things to go wrong. But I do stand by my method.
You have no proof that this helps and yet you're willing to throw your money into the product. It's your money, of course, but I find most people like to know they're getting something for their money. I guess YMMV.

I always ask myself this: if this magical product actually helped with new cars why don't automakers recommend its use, and more specifically, why don't they promote the use of a similar product under their own name for each and every oil change?

·
Registered
19 Posts
You have no proof that this helps and yet you're willing to throw your money into the product. It's your money, of course, but I find most people like to know they're getting something for their money. I guess YMMV.

I always ask myself this: if this magical product actually helped with new cars why don't automakers recommend its use, and more specifically, why don't they promote the use of a similar product under their own name for each and every oil change?
What product do automakers ever suggest to better the car?
I haven't heard of one.
And why would they? The less you take care of your car, the more they profit..unless you know how to wrench your self.

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
two things...

1. Sea foam can be added in different ways to a car
a. You can just add it to your gas to help clean injectors and such. Any fuel injector cleaner will do the job
b. Or you can add sea foam to the vacuum lines

2. Only add sea foam to the vacuum lines of older cars. If you do it to anytihing new, it will not only hurt sensors in the engine, but it will clog out your cats and make them over heat while throwing off your O2 sensors.

Ask me how I know!

Otherwise sea foam is good for the right application. Personally, I would never use it in my cars again. Cars are too complicated now a days, have the part cleaned properly if you actually need cleaning.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
What product do automakers ever suggest to better the car?
I haven't heard of one.
And why would they? The less you take care of your car, the more they profit..unless you know how to wrench your self.
Manufacturers do recommend regular maintenance. While this may not "better" the car it certainly keeps it going for, typically, 10-15 years in the case of modern cars.

By following the proscribed maintenance schedule modern powertrains will easily go 200K+ miles. At which point the rest of the car needs work (body, a/c, interior, axles, transmission, etc.) and the car is probably not worth putting any more money into. So, please, do tell how these miracle products such as Seafoam are going to help with this.

Even without products like Seafoam powertrains outlast the rest of the car in most cases. So what's the real point in a product like Seafoam? I can see none. Unless you're saying Seafom will reduce maintenance costs and if you are I'd love to see real evidence of this.

Manufacturers don't recommend products like Seafoam because there is no need for them. There is no conspiracy here. 30-40 years ago you'd be lucky to get 125K miles out of a powertrain without it needing major and expensive work and yet today we expect and get almost double that. Why would automakers improve reliability so much if they were simply interested in planned obsolescence? I have yet to see any good answer to this question. Likewise with bodies. 30-40 years ago a new car would have an incredibly high amount of body rot after 5-8 years. Today such rot typically doesn't show up on a well maintained car for 10-15 years today. And yet we still have planned obsolescence according to some.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Let's head off an argumentative war. If someone wants to use Seafoam then more power to them. But I think the point has been made that its effectiveness on a new vehicle is questionable. Agree to disagree and away we go.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts