Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all it's my first time posting a thread here..I've recently purchased a 2008 accord coupe..I love the car minus the usual oil consumption dilemma..anyhow my question is in regards to swapping out the seats I have cloth ones at the moment but my local salvage yard is giving me a good deal on a set of leather ones off the same car...I know the rear and passenger seat would be a straight swap but the driver one on the donor car is electric mines are manual all around. So would there be a harness from the factory under the seat for the electric seats? Would I be better of switching the tracks? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
There would have to be at minimum a second harness. I expect there are likely at least two as the donor seats are likely heated. I don't know if your car would have those harnesses. If not perhaps you can pull those from the donor car along with the center console and the switches for the heated seats too.

**Also** be sure if you go ahead with it to disconnect your battery before starting. I'm 99% certain the seats have airbags in them.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
There would have to be at minimum a second harness. I expect there are likely at least two as the donor seats are likely heated. I don't know if your car would have those harnesses. If not perhaps you can pull those from the donor car along with the center console and the switches for the heated seats too.

**Also** be sure if you go ahead with it to disconnect your battery before starting. I'm 99% certain the seats have airbags in them.
The seats definitely have airbags in them so safety first.

Scott C.

·
Honda Nation
1,678 Posts
The seats will physically bolt right into your car. But you will not be able to connect them to anything, with the possible exception of the torso airbags. The leather seats are heated and of course your car has no seat heat switches or wiring, and the driver's side has 8 way power adjustment including seatback recliner, as well as power lumbar support adjustment. All of those features will not be usable as your car does not have any harness to attach the wiring. So, you will not be able to adjust the seat at all.

If you're bound and determined to do this I suppose you could do a hack job by taping into the constant 12 volts somewhere, then running the wiring under the carpet and through it by the driver's seat, then figuring out which leads on the seat are 12 volts and which are ground, and then connecting it all. But that, like I said, is a hack job. And don't even think about buying a new wiring harness - they're integrated on new cars, so that power seat harness is part of a full set of other harnesses, then heated to be flexible as it's installed into the car at the factory, then as it cools it shrinks and conforms to all the crevices and corners very tightly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The seats will physically bolt right into your car. But you will not be able to connect them to anything, with the possible exception of the torso airbags. The leather seats are heated and of course your car has no seat heat switches or wiring, and the driver's side has 8 way power adjustment including seatback recliner, as well as power lumbar support adjustment. All of those features will not be usable as your car does not have any harness to attach the wiring. So, you will not be able to adjust the seat at all.

If you're bound and determined to do this I suppose you could do a hack job by taping into the constant 12 volts somewhere, then running the wiring under the carpet and through it by the driver's seat, then figuring out which leads on the seat are 12 volts and which are ground, and then connecting it all. But that, like I said, is a hack job. And don't even think about buying a new wiring harness - they're integrated on new cars, so that power seat harness is part of a full set of other harnesses, then heated to be flexible as it's installed into the car at the factory, then as it cools it shrinks and conforms to all the crevices and corners very tightly.
I think I'm going to go ahead and swap them out then for the driver seat I'll just swap the tracks from my old seat onto it. I did a similar swap in my old 2003 accord and had the same dilemma the airbag/seatbelt harness was there but no other harnesses for any of the electrical options...I was just making sure the 8th gen wasn't any different..I'm just mainly looking to have leather seats don't really mind if there not power or heated. With that being said all leather equipped seats are electric correct?

·
Honda Nation
1,678 Posts
I think I'm going to go ahead and swap them out then for the driver seat I'll just swap the tracks from my old seat onto it. I did a similar swap in my old 2003 accord and had the same dilemma the airbag/seatbelt harness was there but no other harnesses for any of the electrical options...I was just making sure the 8th gen wasn't any different..I'm just mainly looking to have leather seats don't really mind if there not power or heated. With that being said all leather equipped seats are electric correct?
Yes, all leather seats are electric. Are you sure your tracks will swap?

·
Honda Nation
1,678 Posts
Well, those pictures weren't close enough for me to tell. But my guess is that they are completely different and not interchangeable since the manual seat glides on the track forward and backward, and the power seat uses gears to move the seat. It would seem to me they are incompatable.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It shouldn't be that difficult to run a constant 12V to the seat to at a minimum get the seat controls working. Just don't hook up the heated part of the seats to a constant 12V. Otherwise every time you leave them on you will kill the battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts