Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a thread a little while back about my SRS light coming on, and it turns out that it was the driver's side seatbelt buckle, which was replaced under warranty. After the replacement, the light stayed off for a good 2-3 weeks, and I thought everything was fixed.

However, the light came on the past couple of days.

Here's the weird part: it did not come on right after turning on the car, but instead came on after driving about 10 miles on the freeway.

When I shut off the car and drove it again the next day, the light again did not come on until about 20 minutes into the trip.

If I make a short trip (say, under 10 minutes or so), the light won't come on at all.

If I shut off the car when the light is on and turn the car back on, the light will go off.

It seems like it takes about 10-20 minutes of driving before the light comes on.

I've tried unbuckling my seatbelt, and the seatbelt warning light always comes on when the belt is buckled, so I don't think that's the issue anymore. The car's never been in an accident, so I don't know why the SRS system keeps acting up.

Anyone have ideas?

·
Registered
840 Posts
You'll have to find a way to get the code read, with a scanner that is able to read SRS codes

Im not sure if there's a way to do it thru the OBD2 port, like engine codes in the olden days of OBD1

My 05 had 2 different SRS codes when the seatbelt buckle was replaced, so the light remained on due to the other non-buckle issue

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
If the repair was under warranty, the repair itself should also be under warranty if it's only been 2-3 weeks as you noted, take it back to the dealership where the work was done, and let them worry about this, and fix it properly.

·
Registered
804 Posts
If the repair was under warranty, the repair itself should also be under warranty if it's only been 2-3 weeks as you noted, take it back to the dealership where the work was done, and let them worry about this, and fix it properly.

very true.. BUT.. if it is Now something other than that.. $$$$ i know my honda dealer wanted just under $100 just to "test it".. but since they found mine was the buckle it was covered. There are other items that could cause it to light back up.. And some of them are very expensive...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Check your side airbag plugs under the seat. My neighbor had SRS light caused by a bad cable reel (clock spring) in his steering wheel. Get a code reader so you can figure out the exact point the system is failing, I found out recently the clock spring can work until you turn the wheel up to a certain point, at which the connection is broken.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,649 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can get the SRS light to blink the codes, by shorting the connector at the top of the under-dash fuse box (MICU). You have to remove the kick panel to get to it. I got this from the Helm manual. Don't know if it will work by shorting the 4 and 9 pins on DLC.

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
Some of the Innova brand OBD-II readers can also read SRS codes for some cars, Honda is included, the model I'm considering getting is the Innova 3130C.

If your local AutoZone or PepBoy type outfit has one of these better code readers, they may be willing to assist you to pull the SRS code(s) so you have a better idea what it is you are facing with.

Also, IIRC the warranty for SRS components is quite long, 10 years maybe? That's probably why your 03' still got covered, so make sure to take full advantage of the SRS warranty coverage while you can.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some of the Innova brand OBD-II readers can also read SRS codes for some cars, Honda is included, the model I'm considering getting is the Innova 3130C.

If your local AutoZone or PepBoy type outfit has one of these better code readers, they may be willing to assist you to pull the SRS code(s) so you have a better idea what it is you are facing with.

Also, IIRC the warranty for SRS components is quite long, 10 years maybe? That's probably why your 03' still got covered, so make sure to take full advantage of the SRS warranty coverage while you can.
The seatbelts have a lifetime warranty, so I was able to get the buckle replaced under warranty last time as their code reader showed that the buckle was defective. But if I go back to the dealer and it turns out that this time it's not something seatbelt related, then I doubt they'd cover anything at all. Now if it turns out to be a few hundred bucks for a new SRS computer, I'm fine with that, but there is a chance that it could be much more expensive because of all the things that could possibly throw a SRS light.

Check your side airbag plugs under the seat. My neighbor had SRS light caused by a bad cable reel (clock spring) in his steering wheel. Get a code reader so you can figure out the exact point the system is failing, I found out recently the clock spring can work until you turn the wheel up to a certain point, at which the connection is broken.
I'll have a look under the seat. It's kind of strange that it passes the self-check after turning on the car (the SRS light will go out, as it should)...but then come on 10-15 minutes after driving.

·
Registered
840 Posts
IIRC the SRS system is only covered for 5 years

The other fault on my 05 was related to an impact sensor. I sold it sometime after that without getting it fixed

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IIRC the SRS system is only covered for 5 years

The other fault on my 05 was related to an impact sensor. I sold it sometime after that without getting it fixed
Was the impact sensor causing the SRS light to stay on after start-up, or to come on and stay on while driving? I'm a bit confused why my SRS light only comes on after driving for a while, whereas for most people, the light stays on after turning on the car when there is a SRS-related problem.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It came on at startup

Try an auto parts store and see if one of their scanners will retrieve the code(s)
Called up a few places, they said they only read check engine lights, not SRS lights. I tried the paperclip trick to get the code without a scanner, but I don't think that method gives the right codes (for example, before I had the buckle replaced, I tried that method and got 5-3 and 6-1 "internal failure of SRS" when the dealer determined it was the buckle).

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,649 Posts
I think it is the right codes. 5-3 might come up along with any other code, if there is one. I would try diagnosing the 6-1 code first. Replacing the SRS unit would be a last resort.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Did you ever try putting on your seat belt belt before you start the car - - if you don't normally. As I recall, almost everyone that had a bad seat belt sensor found that the light didn't come on if they put their belt on 1st. That's how my wife's was. It's not as good as getting the code but it might help with your diagnosis and might be a work around until you can get it repaired.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you ever try putting on your seat belt belt before you start the car - - if you don't normally. As I recall, almost everyone that had a bad seat belt sensor found that the light didn't come on if they put their belt on 1st. That's how my wife's was. It's not as good as getting the code but it might help with your diagnosis and might be a work around until you can get it repaired.
That's exactly what happened before I had the seatbelt buckle replaced. If I put the seatbelt on before starting the car, the SRS light wouldn't come on. I also noticed that sometimes the seatbelt warning light wouldn't come on when the seatbelt was unbuckled.

After I had the buckle replaced, the seatbelt warning light always came on when I unbuckle the seatbelt, and the SRS light was fine for a few weeks (never came on)...until a few days ago, when it started coming on after a bit of driving...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Called up a few places, they said they only read check engine lights, not SRS lights. I tried the paperclip trick to get the code without a scanner, but I don't think that method gives the right codes (for example, before I had the buckle replaced, I tried that method and got 5-3 and 6-1 "internal failure of SRS" when the dealer determined it was the buckle).
Don't trust the paperclip method, using it gives me 5-1 and 5-2 which both indicate srs module failure. The scanner gives seatbelt buckle and driver's side airbag.

Mine goes off after the self test and goes back on like 2 seconds later.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't trust the paperclip method, using it gives me 5-1 and 5-2 which both indicate srs module failure. The scanner gives seatbelt buckle and driver's side airbag.

Mine goes off after the self test and goes back on like 2 seconds later.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll call the dealership next week.

From what I've seen, in almost all cases where a SRS light comes on, it will come on just after starting the car. My situation, where it comes on after driving for a while, seems much more rare.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: took it to the dealer and was ready to pay the $50 diagnostic fee. However, they came back an hour later and told me it was the seatbelt tensioner this time, so they're going to order the part and replace it for free under the lifetime warranty.

Hopefully the SRS light stops coming on randomly after the tensioner is replaced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts