Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
You can call me Jackal
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fellow 8th gen'ers -

I have reason to believe my 2008 EX-L was broken into yesterday while at an amusement park. I'm having a hard time putting some of the pieces together however and would appreciate any input from you guys. Here is what I know:

When we arrived at the park, we secured all valuables in the cabin (outta sight, glove box) and my backpack and my girlfriend's purse, being the most valuable, were locked in the trunk.

When we got back to the car everything seemed to be in order and we drove home without incident. When we got home, we realized the trunk was empty. Now, I only keep one thing in my trunk unless I'm hauling things (groceries, etc.) and that is my emergency bag. So needless to say, there is no clutter and no mess back there.

Upon discovering both bags missing, I checked the rest of the car which by my inspection seems untouched. My glove box still had my navigation unit in it, center console still had iPod and scratch off lottery tickets.

So my question/concern is this: HOW? How would one go about opening another person's trunk in a public parking lot without drawing too much attention (Bond gadgetry aside)? More over, since I drive the coupe, if they were to gain access to the trunk, why not fold down the back seat and get into the cabin as well?

Real kicker: There is no visible damage to the outside of my vehicle. No paint scratches or marks that would evidence forced entry. It's as if someone had a trunk opener fob, walked up, popped my trunk, stole several hundred dollars worth of personal belongings, shut the trunk and walked away. :dunno:

And we were at the amusement park to celebrate her birthday. :thumbsdow Talk about a buzzkill.

Specific question for any law enforcement types. What would be the best way to request a review of security footage from the parking lot cameras, short of a subpoena? I'm considering filing a police report with the county and either getting a case number and calling the park or asking the officer assigned to my case to contact them.

Any useful comments, criticism and concerns welcome. Thanks in advance and Happy According.

~JKL

·
Registered
339 Posts
One of the mistake many people make is putting things in a car trunk in a parking lot when they arrive. There sometimes are thieves sitting in their car or nearby waiting for such to know that there is something worth stealing.

I am not sure how they gain access to your trunk in the 8th gen Accord; but, some older generations could be open with some other similar Honda keys in the key cylinder.

You can ask the amusement park to see their security footage or file a police report and ask the police to try to obtain it. In some cities, due to the economy and police cuts, they will only file a report so you can use it for insurance purposes, and do no further investigating.

Also, they probably only stole what is in the trunk as it is only a few seconds, they probably are very experienced and wanted to get out of there quick. One of my sisters had this happen before; she suspected it was a couple sitting in their car nearby, pretending to make out.

Lol, I just remembered our 8th gen trunks don't have key cylinders.

·
Super Moderator
4,310 Posts
There is a slight chance you may have accidentally left the trunk open or popped it while walking away. I coworker did that one time and had all his clothes stolen.

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
2,105 Posts
I'm guessing:

You probably left your trunk opened a little without noticing it. Some creeper was walking by your car, opened the trunk, took your stuff and closed your trunk for you. Believe me, if someone was looking for more valuables, they could have easily opened up the back seat gotten inside the car. Seems to me that this individual just wanted to get w/e he could get his hands on and leave.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

·
Registered
388 Posts
One thing i do when leaving the car in a parking lot is to do a run around of the car. Making sure both doors were locked and the trunk properly closed. Did you made sure that the trunk is close? Sometimes you think it is but it's not. I feel your buzzkill bro cause the almost the same thing happened to me, went to disneyland to celebrate her bday then while going home, I got sideswipe on the freeway. Good luck with the investigations.

·
You can call me Jackal
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for your comments and concerns. Spoke with the police on site at King's Dominion. One of the patrolmen distinctly remembers my car ('cause she's so purty) and informed me of the following:

When he patrolled past my car, the trunk was wide open and completely empty. The kind officer made sure nothing else was damaged, missing, etc. then closed it for me. They will check both the lost and found to see if some kind person turned my belongings in to the office and check security footage to see if someone walked off with my stuff.

He and I both believe my trunk was closed but not securely locked, which is a very nice way of saying my girlfriend didn't close it properly when putting her purse back there.

Mystery solved. No one to blame but ourselves. How disappointing.

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
Better to know what happened, than left to wonder.

Tough luck.

·
Stayin Classy...
630 Posts
Do you have a trunk release button on your key fob?

There are simple devices that can pick up your key fob code. Some of the aftermarket key fobs will actually bounce codes every time you lock and unlock so its harder to copy, but the standard ones might have a single code. If someone is sitting around you and picks up the key code for the trunk release button. They could simply walk up to your car and press the code from their device and pop your trunk like its their own car. They could grab the stuff and no one would ever know it wasnt their car.

Its very similar to how the built in garage door buttons work in the accords (if you have the right trim level). You keep pressing the original garage door opener in one hand, and the car then picks up and copies the code. When the code is copied you can use the universal remote built into the car to open your garage door. The devices are very simple and can be found/bought/ or modified fairly easy with all the information lurking online.

Sorry to hear that though, it really ****s when that happens. I had my car broken into once when I was younger and it really depressed me (when my car was a mess and my stereo was ripped out).

Edit: sorry didnt read your last post about a possible unlocked trunk....Well at least I gave you another possible suggestion so you dont have to blame yourself lol.

·
Registered
970 Posts
If you properly locked the trunk at 3 locations and this still happened, then it must be the key fob that did it.
P.S. the trunk can also be opened from inside through the center pass through.

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts
I'm starting to think a lock box in the trunk is a good idea now...Alot of us lug laptops around and don't feel secure leaving it in the trunk. Some sort of metal box in the back that is bolted will put me at ease.

·
Stayin Classy...
630 Posts
I'm starting to think a lock box in the trunk is a good idea now...Alot of us lug laptops around and don't feel secure leaving it in the trunk. Some sort of metal box in the back that is bolted will put me at ease.
Or just put it under a driver seat or in the spare tire well. At least in my coupe the seats sit really low, but there is just enough space to hid a laptop. It would probably fit really snug. And no one would think of looking in the spare tire well.

A lock box is a good idea, but there isnt too many place that a lock box can be bolted too that would resist a simple pry bar to take it off the sheet metal. But its better then nothing I guess.

I would almost try the idea of "fake" stuff. keep a shitty dead and broken laptop on the back seat and your good one under the seat. Also maybe a spare empty purse with some junk in it. The person jumps in the car in the heat of the moment, and grabs what he sees is worth money. Thinking that he/she got the goods, they run, to find out later its all fake stuff. If they have something in their hands, there is no need to look any further.

·
Bat-mobile
540 Posts
I remember reading in the manual about the lock functions. If you press the lock button twice it will "BEEP" indicating all doors are properly closed and locked. correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
388 Posts
I remember reading in the manual about the lock functions. If you press the lock button twice it will "BEEP" indicating all doors are properly closed and locked. correct me if im wrong
The "beep" thing doesn't count the trunk, just the doors and the hood if you have the hood alarm i think. You can have the trunk open and the car will still "beep" if the doors are close.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i'm going to have to agree with everyone who says, that you may have accidentally pressed the trunk button on your remote key. that seems more like a logical than someone tampering with your trunk. i have accidentally did that in my car before. but no one stole anything in my cases. that is a total different story since i lived in a nicer apt complex and you at amusement park where alot of lowlife scums can be at times. so dont worry about the security of your vehicle just be more careful on which button you press and it doesnt hurt to look at your car more than once when you lock it to make sure. best of luck and sorry it ruin your girl bday.

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts
Or just put it under a driver seat or in the spare tire well. At least in my coupe the seats sit really low, but there is just enough space to hid a laptop. It would probably fit really snug. And no one would think of looking in the spare tire well.

A lock box is a good idea, but there isnt too many place that a lock box can be bolted too that would resist a simple pry bar to take it off the sheet metal. But its better then nothing I guess.

I would almost try the idea of "fake" stuff. keep a shitty dead and broken laptop on the back seat and your good one under the seat. Also maybe a spare empty purse with some junk in it. The person jumps in the car in the heat of the moment, and grabs what he sees is worth money. Thinking that he/she got the goods, they run, to find out later its all fake stuff. If they have something in their hands, there is no need to look any further.
I think having fake stuff is a good idea. Like getting a hold of broken GPS unit and broken laptop. Put the broken GPS somewhere where they would look first. Laptop would go bare without a case in the trunk easily seen if someone opens and takes a looksy. My real laptop will fit under the seat but not the rest of the messenger bag I have. I'm going to see about taking out the spare. Most of my driving is within 10 mins of my place.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Do you have a trunk release button on your key fob?

There are simple devices that can pick up your key fob code. Some of the aftermarket key fobs will actually bounce codes every time you lock and unlock so its harder to copy, but the standard ones might have a single code. If someone is sitting around you and picks up the key code for the trunk release button. They could simply walk up to your car and press the code from their device and pop your trunk like its their own car. They could grab the stuff and no one would ever know it wasnt their car.

Its very similar to how the built in garage door buttons work in the accords (if you have the right trim level). You keep pressing the original garage door opener in one hand, and the car then picks up and copies the code. When the code is copied you can use the universal remote built into the car to open your garage door. The devices are very simple and can be found/bought/ or modified fairly easy with all the information lurking online.

Sorry to hear that though, it really ****s when that happens. I had my car broken into once when I was younger and it really depressed me (when my car was a mess and my stereo was ripped out).

Edit: sorry didnt read your last post about a possible unlocked trunk....Well at least I gave you another possible suggestion so you dont have to blame yourself lol.
Actually, even if you cloned the signal given by the remote, it works with rolling codes i.e. the exact same code will not unlock the door (or trunk) twice in a row.

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
Where to start???
341 Posts
Mine honks if i press the lock button twice while the trunk is open.
8th gens are probably different, if my trunk is open, the horn won't honk and the tail lights won't flash either.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts