Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to fully wrap my car because I wanted to do something different. My idea was to go with a dark grey so thats what i ordered but it turned out to be a little lighter than i expected. I wasnt able to return the roll so i just went with it and its growing on me now. The material i used is called VVIVID, i took a gamble with it since it was significantly cheaper than 3M. I have done wraps with 3M before and this material is right up there with it, very good air release technology, very good memory, strong adhesive. Overall very happy with it.

Im still not done, need to wrap the bumpers, one sideskirt and the trunk.

This was my car before:

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,028 Posts
How wide are the rolls of vvivid wrap, and what length did you end up needing to do the whole car?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roll is 5ft wide by 50ft. That's just enough to do the whole car with little to no mistake.

·
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd
1,060 Posts
I wish I could see the process... i've always been interested to see how wraps work without getting creases and cuts and stuff.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
2005 Accord EX-L *SSM*
423 Posts
Really nice work!
Like Russian, I would also like to witness the process. So I'm guessing there isn't a video? Perhaps a small tutorial? :D

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,028 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how often you've got your Accord totally ripped apart and then back together ... You could probably do it blindfolded by now eh?

BTW - how easy do you find the Rhino ramp with a lowered ride and that front lip ??

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really nice work!
Like Russian, I would also like to witness the process. So I'm guessing there isn't a video? Perhaps a small tutorial? :D
I'm sure there are videos on YouTube.

It never ceases to amaze me how often you've got your Accord totally ripped apart and then back together ... You could probably do it blindfolded by now eh?

BTW - how easy do you find the Rhino ramp with a lowered ride and that front lip ??
Haha maybe not blindfolded, but I think I can do it with one hand tied behind my back lol.

I can't drive my car up the ramps. My bumper was off when I drove it up there. However I built some adapters that you put in front of the ramps to be able to drive the car up the ramps with the bumper on for oil changes and such.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,028 Posts
Ah - that makes more sense ...

So if you don't mind me asking, felt tipped or cotton tipped squeegee ? And what size of squeegee did you end up using ? Do you need to use one of those edge pens I keep seeing when searching vinyl application ?

Can you elaborate a little on your surface prep prior to applying the vinyl? Did you wash and clay before, or lay down a wax/sealant on the paint first?

Sorry - but that Vvivid vinyl is so affordable that I'm giving some serious thought to this once the warmer weather hits the west coast ...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah - that makes more sense ...

So if you don't mind me asking, felt tipped or cotton tipped squeegee ? And what size of squeegee did you end up using ? Do you need to use one of those edge pens I keep seeing when searching vinyl application ?

Can you elaborate a little on your surface prep prior to applying the vinyl? Did you wash and clay before, or lay down a wax/sealant on the paint first?

Sorry - but that Vvivid vinyl is so affordable that I'm giving some serious thought to this once the warmer weather hits the west coast ...
4 inch felt squeeze, a propane torch, a bunch of xacto knives, and one of those slide out blades is all i used.

You should never wax a car prior to wrapping. Just wash it very good, clay bar it, and then clean the whole car but specially all the edges and corners with 70% isoproyl alcohol. After that you can start applying vinyl but always clean each panel with alcohol again right before you wrap it.

If you think you can do it by all means go ahead man, just a heads up it is a lot of work and it takes some technique, i used to do this for a signage company i worked for and thats where i learned the tricks to it, is not as easy as people think. You can always sell me the left over vinyl if you decide not to finish lol

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,028 Posts
4 inch felt squeeze, a propane torch, a bunch of xacto knives, and one of those slide out blades is all i used.

You should never wax a car prior to wrapping. Just wash it very good, clay bar it, and then clean the whole car but specially all the edges and corners with 70% isoproyl alcohol. After that you can start applying vinyl but always clean each panel with alcohol again right before you wrap it.

If you think you can do it by all means go ahead man, just a heads up it is a lot of work and it takes some technique, i used to do this for a signage company i worked for and thats where i learned the tricks to it, is not as easy as people think. You can always sell me the left over vinyl if you decide not to finish lol
A torch ? Um yeah - you must know what you're doing for sure. I was thinking more just the hood, roof, and trunk - I figure the trunk will be the hardest part.

The car looks fantastic in that Grey BTW - nice job !!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Love it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts