Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post. I've read the forum quite a bit for various problems over time but haven't posted till now. I have a coolant leak on my 98 v6 coupe. There was dried green coolant splattered around under the throttle body area. It was in the shop the other day for its second timing belt replacement (going on 220,000 miles) and they said it was the "coolant bypass gasket" and estimated the job to cost another $190 or so.

I think from looking around on the web that it might be the thermostat housing gasket. I've seen others with similar problems and that's what the culprit was. I can't find any information on a "coolant bypass gasket"-- everything related to coolant bypass seems to be people who are in warmer climates who want to bypass the iac.

So my questions begin with, from looking at a picture of this housing online, it looks like there could be multiple gaskets needed-- does anyone know which one is likely to blame, or do I replace them all? Do I need to go to the dealer for these, or is there a good 3rd party that makes them? I haven't found a good set of pictures or video for removing this housing. Is this a tricky job or is it a matter of removing a few bolts (once the throttle body and battery are out of the way)? Will coolant come gushing out when this is done (so is a coolant drain needed before I start)?

Sorry for all the questions-- I like working on my Accord, but have limited experience. I'd rather spend a few hours on a weekend figuring it out myself and hopefully saving a bit of money. Never done this job before and don't want to get over my head if I can avoid it though.

·
AC6DN
1,335 Posts
First clean up the mess. So that you can positively ID the leak.
I'd wiggle the hoses near the leak location. One hose is tweaked a lot when cleaning the throttle body. My guess, its one of those hoses, near...

4cyc or V6?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts