Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 785 Posts

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I figured it was time to get my car's thread out of the introduction board so people will actually see my updates, haha. If a mod or admin wants to move this to a more appropriate board that's fine; I thought because it's a 6th gen it would get the most views in the 6th gen board.

Anyway, I'll start with photos of the process of my dad and I plasti-dipping the entire car, from OEM Flamenco Black Pearl with sun damage and chipping/a replacement hood that was green to graphite black pearl over gunmetal gray plasti-dip. It's not perfect but I think it looks a lot better than when I got it. The photos and text below are re-posted from my intro thread but I wanted to get them in here as well. I'll be posting updates on Selene in this thread from now on.

Taping off, base coat, grey and top coat with pearl:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So as you can see, dad and I (mostly dad) got Selene dipped over the weekend. The finish came out a bit textured, especially on the roof, and I believe that was a combination of the sprayer not being quite powerful enough and/or my dad's never painted with plasti-dip before, haha. He was spraying a little too far away where he had a hard time reaching on the roof and center/top of the hood. I don't care about that though, I think it looks awesome! I kept the bottom trim and front Honda logo original (I taped off the whole front emblem). The rear 'H' came right off, and I have to peel the dip off the Accord emblem because I didn't want to risk breaking it trying to take it off. I stuck it back on there a few weeks ago with metal/glass adhesive and it would have been a battle trying to get it off. I have to put the LX emblem on as well, but I'm probably gonna try badge glue on that, or E6000.

Prep:

We taped it off and wiped it down very, very thoroughly with denatured alcohol before painting. My dad's first job was taping off cars to be painted, actually, haha. Before that we did body work: filled a rust hole in the left rear wheel well facing the door and primed it, you can't tell there was ever a hole there now. Filled in gouges on the hood and bumper from a truck backing into it; couldn't get it all but it looks a hell of a lot better. Filled in some little rust holes on the hood as well. I sanded the clear coat that was chipping down/off where I could with a little motorized disc sander. Hand-sanded the sun damage under the passenger side windows, rust on the rear passenger door and a little round rust spot on the driver door. That came right off, it was only surface rust left from [apparently] a magnet that was left on the car.

Plasti-Dip:

We used two gallons of black, one gallon of gunmetal gray, and two gallons of top coat: one gallon of clear that had 25g of hyper black graphite pearl mixed in and the other by itself. We didn't use all of the paint. We put on three tack coats of black, two wet, two or three wet coats of gray, one tack coat of clear and then the rest of that gallon and about half a gallon of the other clear. The wet coats used about a quarter to a third of a gallon each so I think we got the ratio down. I would have liked to get more coats on but dad has a bad shoulder and he could only take so much painting.

Anyway, since the hood and roof came out textured, I might go back up to my parent's place this weekend and try giving it a gentle misting in naptha with the spray gun and see if that evens out the texture. We had xylene to clean the paint gun and mixing stuff, but I knew they stopped recommending xylene to thin dip with.

The hood was my fault. I tried taking a swing at painting and I royally effed it up, haha. But dad fixed it as best he could. You can barely tell by looking at it in person that there's a bit of striping near the top. The photo I took doesn't have great lighting and from the angle it's at you can totally see it. Maybe this weekend I'll go up and practice with the gun so I can do it myself next time, or we can take turns. I stayed in the garage and mixed up the paint and was on air hose patrol while he was walking around the car painting. Dad couldn't believe the color actually came out "looking like the pictures" I showed him back when I was still contemplating it. The color was almost exactly what I pictured in my mind. I wish it was more glossy but we could always add more later. I'd have to fix the texture first.

I actually might get some high gloss vinyl graphics for the hood and sides...I was thinking the dire wolf sigil of house Stark from Game of Thrones; just a thin black linework of the wolf sigil and maybe "STARK" on the sides, in the font they use for the show (I'm a fan of the books). The shade of grey it turned out would look cool with some shiny black graphics on it, I think. I wasn't really thinking about putting anything on it but I'd be alright with something simple like that.

I took this photo right after putting some Dip Coat Protective Spray on her. I actually applied it with paper towels so we didn't do too terribly with the texture. It only grabbed the paper on the hood and roof a little. Otherwise it went on pretty smooth. If I had a microfiber towel I probably would have had less trouble.

·
Not Of This World
94 Posts
Looks Sharp!! I like it!!

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pic I took today after getting home. After I took it I wiped it down with another coating of Dip Coat Protective Spray. This time I used a microfiber cloth and it went on a lot smoother. Bought Meguiar's carpet shampoo, interior detail and quick wax sprays to put on tomorrow. Didn't have enough daylight to do that stuff today.

Attachments

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,836 Posts
I think it's horrible but I do admire the amount of work you've put into it. It looks far better than it did. Not my cup of tea but as long as you are happy that's all that matters.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next up is a new steelies and tires to replace the Vectra (?) ones I have on the back. One of the wheels is bent so it needs to go, and I have never heard of Vectra tires before so I don't really want them on my car, haha. I have Firestone on the front and they're about a year old.

I'm looking at General Altimax Arctic, Bridgestone Blizzak and Hankook I-Pikes. My dad works in a garage ordering parts in so he can order pretty much anything for me at a discounted price. He will get back to me on prices. We can mount the tires and put them on ourselves.

Hopefully when I get home today I'll have some daylight left to do the interior again, the carpet needs done and the dash is getting a bit dusty. It's raining today and probably will again tomorrow. I am hoping to get some spray wax on it this weekend once it dries off outside.

I finally stuck the LX emblem on the bumper last night, too.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually had to pick those ones whether I liked it or not, because I did buy a nicer looking set, but they weren't convex enough to fit over the wheel underneath and snap into place, so I had to take them back and get another set that fit. Those were the only ones they had that were the same price and fit my wheels. I thought they looked okay when the car was "black", but now that it's gray, not so much.

I junked the OEM wheel covers because they were cracked/broken/banged up in general and I needed something to cover the wheels, so I wasn't riding around on old black steel wheels. That was a "ghetto as hell" line I wasn't okay with crossing, lol.

I'll probably pick up some aluminum-colored covers to brighten up the gray, or I could plasti-dip/spray them for about $12 until I can justify buying a new set of covers. I'm getting new wheels and tires soon; getting Hankook I-Pikes. Maybe then I'll get new covers.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a decent photo of these this morning. I had to peel the dip off of the Accord logo but I finally got around to it. Trunk wasn't closed all the way so it looks a little misaligned.

This photo is a better representation of what the color actually looks like IRL. The other photos make it look blue or flat gray.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Honda enthusiast
225 Posts
I like the dip. The imperfections add character plus DIY is boss. Paying a bunch of money for a dip job is whack. It needs wheels and suspension before you put the decals. Nice work.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She definitely does have "character"...haha

I did look up shops that dip in my area...$799 for a sedan in one solid color. That's two DIY whole car dips worth. I get that they do it professionally and you get what you pay for, and I think it's neat that they make a business out of performing a service others can't do themselves.

Dad just ordered me a set of Hankook I-Pike tires and some new black steelies. They should arrive by Monday so then I'll have to go up there to get them mounted and put on my car.

If I decide to keep this car as a DD by the time June rolls around (my place of employment is going through a merger, and June is an important month for my group concerning layoffs), I will get a new set of all-seasons and some actual wheels. Maybe by then I'll be feeling the urge to change the color of my car, too. Might go black gloss next time. I know, I'm boring lol

·
RoopsPhoto.com
218 Posts
I'll probably pick up some aluminum-colored covers to brighten up the gray,
You do not have to plasti-dip the wheel covers. Just buy some silver paint from walmart. Sand them a little and spray them. It would look a lot better in silver than in the black.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The covers I have on right now have a carbon fiber print on them so I dunno if painting/dipping them would even look good, honestly.

But maybe I could get some tape and get creative lol

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Side-by-side comparison of before and after. Notice how I've gotten less scared of curbing my wheel covers lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
She definitely does have "character"...haha

If I decide to keep this car as a DD by the time June rolls around (my place of employment is going through a merger, and June is an important month for my group concerning layoffs), I will get a new set of all-seasons and some actual wheels. Maybe by then I'll be feeling the urge to change the color of my car, too. Might go black gloss next time. I know, I'm boring lol

Should go Hot Orange dip and get some wheels that flatter multiple colors in case you change it up from time to time!

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was thinking a little more about it today and I had a few ideas for colors:

Black with gold or silver micro flake

Dark/emerald green with gold flake or pearl
Legend of Zelda theme?

Anthracite gray
Blacked out wheels, emblems and maybe tinted windows

These pearls layered on a base to become solid:

Flash Colorshift Pearl