Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have about 4k miles - 60% Oil Life - (11k in total) on the Sport, since my last oil change . I do see a slight drop in the Oil level, judging from the dip stick measures. I am going on a road trip to NC Outer banks from Maryland this coming weekend and was thinking of making it up.

Which brand would you recommend getting from either Autozone or Walmart.

Btw, I know that most Honda engines do burn oil but should I be concern? It had burnt oil before the previous Oil change as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
So I have about 4k miles - 60% Oil Life - (11k in total) on the Sport, since my last oil change . I do see a slight drop in the Oil level, judging from the dip stick measures. I am going on a road trip to NC Outer banks from Maryland this coming weekend and was thinking of making it up.

Which brand would you recommend getting from either Autozone or Walmart.

Btw, I know that most Honda engines do burn oil but should I be concern? It had burnt oil before the previous Oil change as well.

Thanks!
Sorry for being off topic, but where are you headed? I live at the southern tip of them.

·
Registered
916 Posts
How low is it? If it is just a tad below full don't even bother. It is fine as long as it does not get below the bottom tick. Now if you are going on a long trip and it is near the bottom then go ahead and add some. Some people purposely keep it halfway to reduce energy lost to pumping.

Any 0w-20 should be fine. The dealer probably uses semi syn, so if that is where you changed it you can add that. Full syn won't hurt it though. I convert all my vehicles to full syn after the first oil change.

·
No lifetime fluids!
1,019 Posts
Your cheapest (in the long run) option would be to purchase a 5qt container of oil. Use a little to top off now and either keep the rest to top off in the future or have the dealership use at the next oil change.

Take your pick from the vast array of 0W-20 oils. Walmart will be cheaper on oil by itself.

M1 is a good choice, Quaker State Ultimate Durability is a favorite along with Pennzoil Platinum. Valvoline SynPower is good too.

·
24th Gear
1,233 Posts
Bottle says Full synthetic. I work at Advance Auto and I just realized that the other day. I thought it was just a conventional but nope bottle says full synthetic.

I run Mobil1 in mine. Usually Advance has it on sale every other month or so (5 qts and a M1 filter for ~$30).

·
Banned
308 Posts
The honda dealership said the Mobil super is fully synthetic or are they wrong?
Super 5000? No that is dino oil. I just used a jug of that on my Odyssey. It was like $12.50 at Walmart.

Maybe if it is 0W-20 then it is different....not sure. Mine is 5W-20 and was straight dino oil.

·
No lifetime fluids!
1,019 Posts
Yes, that would be fine. Mobil offers both Mobil Super Synthetic 0W-20 and Mobil 1 0W-20.

Both are synthetic oils -- their base stocks, additives, and flow when cold and hot may vary, but both will be fine for your vehicle to top off with.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,163 Posts
It doesn't matter one whit what you top it off with. If it is the correct oil with the correct API designation it is just fine. You are WAY over thinking this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts