Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just cannot believe that in this day and age Honda has not made satellite radio standard in the Accords. I mean, come on, even the cheapo econobox 14,000 dollar Hyundai Accent has satellite radio standard.

So now I am faced with a dilemma all because Honda refuses to get with the times.

We need to replace our 98 Accord. We will be buying a new 2014.
My husband wants to buy another LX. I want to buy the loaded EXL because it has more comfortable leather seats and satellite radio.

He says XM/Sirius radio will be antiquated/out of business soon and there's no point paying the extra 5 grand to get the EXL.
I say the EXL will be more comfortable to drive as we age and keep its resale value better than the LX.

Invoice on an Accord LX is 21k.
Invoice on an Accord EXL is 26k

Should I buy the EXL just for the satellite radio? What makes more financial sense, buying the LX, or an EXL, anyway?

PS: FYI aftermarket radios with satellite radio did not work in the 98 Accord. We tried installing 3 of them and the signal was always going out and it was a nightmare. We will not be going through another aftermarket radio nightmare again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

5k for the satellite radio is a bit expensive no? :)

Seriously, satellite radio is always the same songs and after 3-4months, it start to be annoying but this is personnal.

An alternative to you might be using the 3G/4G of a cellular phone and with the bluethooth, you can have all the music you want. Ok, this might be limited some time, but how many time? In this case, put some music on a CD or USB key.

But if we go back to the car, the EXL worth it if you want to keep it another 15 years. Just by saying it is more comfortable, there is no price for the comfort.

Good luck.

·
Wanda Honda
458 Posts
I think I'm gonna have to agree with your husband. An extra 5 grand is a REAL hefty premium just for satellite radio. If you want leather seat, maybe get an EX and your dealership can work with Katzkin to get it installed for an additional $1000 or so. Even I find it a hard sell to pay that much of a premium for those 2 things.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Doesnt seem like a difficult decision to me.. either you want nothing (LX) or you want sat. radio (EX/EX-L)... $80 more a month. get the EX-L

·
2013 Accord Sport 6MT
120 Posts
I think the bigger innovation for me is the introduction of Pandora radio integration. My Acura had Sat. radio in it and I never used it (Aside from the 3 months they give you for free). Pandora/bluetooth is the easier choice for me, plus it is much cheaper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Satellite radio is always the same songs"??? What planet are you from?

Here's what I want:

I want to get in my car, turn on the radio and find awesome content immediately. Music that maybe I haven't heard before because I didn't already download it or don't own it. Maybe it's new music, maybe it's music from the 70s available only on vinyl, maybe it's Pearl Jam live tracks that are not available on Pandora/Rhapsody (hell, most of what I am describing you will never hear on Pandora et al). Then when I get bored I want to be able to switch to the NFL game broadcasting live. Then I want to switch over to listen to CNN Live. Then I will switch back to music, maybe one of the jazz stations. Maybe then I will go listen to local news in a city that is 3,000 miles away from mine. By the end of my commute I will be listening to college death metal or the Sinatra station.

And there you have the satellite radio experience with zero downloading, caching and/or data streaming.

It would be nice if I didn't have to buy a loaded and expensive Accord to get this, when most other cheap cars have it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Should I buy the EXL just for the satellite radio? What makes more financial sense, buying the LX, or an EXL, anyway?
If you've been happy driving a '98 LX for 15 years, I would guess that all of the 2014 EXL bells and whistles don't mean much to you....certainly not with a $5k incremental price tag.

Short answer: Buy the LX but tell the salesman you want to upgrade the radio to the EXL model. If they can do it somehow, might cost you as much as $1k more, but you're still $4k ahead of the game...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Could you get an XM receiver?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My understanding is that you CANNOT get satellite radio in a 2014 LX. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

As far as the XM receiver, I am not doing any aftermarket stuff to the car. Been there, done that, it always has problems.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll pay you $1000 to get satellite radio out of my car=P I concur with previous statements about pandora/ipod/usb connections being far more useful. Paying a monthly fee for a service with subpar quality that only works in my car seems silly.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My understanding is that you CANNOT get satellite radio in a 2014 LX. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Not as a stock item, but you should be able to order the Honda XM head unit and get the dealer to swap it out for you. Maybe even find one on EBay from some serious audiophile who didn't like the stock unit?

For $4k, I would at least ask a couple of dealers to check it out...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Your husband is right, I read somewhere that Pandora is taking all of the XM users away...I would go with Sport, its has nicer seats then LX, better rims, exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Google Music or rdio on your smartphone via bluetooth. Has stations that should fit most of your described needs, except maybe NFL.

Much better than Pandora & subscription cost similar to XM. Feel free to wire me $1k finder's fee and pocket the $4k difference. :naughty:

Edit: I second the Sport suggestion. Also, I've had my Sport for 3 mos - not once have I turned on FM radio. All Google Music or audiobooks dl'd to smartphone via Audible.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Sounds like you should be mad at your husband, not the Accord.

Jay

·
Registered
235 Posts
FWIW, I'd be furious if my wife insisted we pay $5k for something so frivolous.

Also, you're asking a forum that's almost all dudes whether your husband's being irrational. I kept my first response objective. But seriously, 5 grand?

That poor guy.

·
JaeDM
567 Posts
I don't think 5k extra really worth it for the EX-L. I really think you could be just as happy with the EX and get leather installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok guys I am going to look into having the dealer put an XM stock radio in an LX. Wish me luck.

Although the LX sound/speaker system is also really poor, by the way.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Are you buying extended warranty? That's only reason I can think to pay for dealer install up front.

Otherwise you can probably get aftermarket XM head unit + upgraded speakers for same or less than a dealer would charge.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts