Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 EX 4-cyl 5-speed with 146k. At 50k to 70k, it shakes very bad when trying to accelerate. This condition is even worse when going up a hill. When just cruising at this speed, vibration is noticeable, but not bad. It doesn't seem to be tire/wheel related as I just put my winter set on and the problem persists. It isn't rpm related either. The problem occurs in both 4th and 5th gear. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
The CV joints are a strong suspect with the mileage you have and the fact that it is more pronounced during uphill since you need to apply more power.

I had a similar problem on one of my previous cars and no amount of tire balancing will completely solve the vibration, then my CV joint boot split so the dealership replaced the entire drive shaft under warranty, magically the vibration went away even though the CV joint doesn't feel worn, but only a little bit of wear within the CV join is all it takes to cause vibrations at higher speed.

Welcome to DA.

·
AC6DN
1,553 Posts
While at the speed that it happens, put it in neutral, wait see how this effects the problem, then let the clutch out, how did these effect it?

·
5th Gear
511 Posts
I would also get your alignment checked too if doing what Avi says doesn't work. That could be a prime suspect for some shaking

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While at the speed that it happens, put it in neutral, wait see how this effects the problem, then let the clutch out, how did these effect it?
at speed, if I put it in neutral, the problem goes away. When I engage the clutch, it's okay, but then I put my foot on the gas and the ungodly shake comes back. My inclination is to replace the cv-joints/axles.

Thank you for the welcome. I've gathered info from this site for a couple years, and this is my first post. It's my wife's car and we took it to VT from PA for thanksgiving and it was unpleasant at speeds between 50 and 70. My primary ride is an 01 mr2 spyder :)

·
AC6DN
1,553 Posts
So with the car in neutral, the vibration is not there. But with the car in neutral and revving it up to 2500 RPM cruse equivalent speed, its back. Not sure that's the axles...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So with the car in neutral, the vibration is not there. But with the car in neutral and revving it up to 2500 RPM cruse equivalent speed, its back. Not sure that's the axles...
In neutral and revving up to 2500 rpm and at speed, the vibration is not present. I just ordered some new half shafts, so that'll be my weekend project.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tire Ballance? My car does it too but its auto and its ballance. sounds like a bigger issue tho. Knock out the little easy shit first before anything serious?

·
Registered
52 Posts
theres posts about this since i had the same issue (55-65) .. alot of people said it was a bent axle?

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,917 Posts
Were it my car I would say that there was a problem that required service. Which service is up in the air but with that mileage I would expect the worst. Have it checked out by a professional and tell us what the problem is. In short, it shouldn't do that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I changed out the passenger half shaft. I tried to get the driver one out, but it was just plain stuck to the intermediate shaft. Now when driving between 50-70 there is a slight shake, but it's not ungodly like before. I'll have to take it to a professional to get the other one removed :-(

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
17,457 Posts
i was going to guess a motor mount, but it sounds more like the axle wearing out, or CV joint....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I replaced the passenger side axle/cv joint a few weeks ago, but couldn't get the driver side separated from the intermediate shaft (stuck @*&!%). It smoothed it out a bit, but still some vibration remained. I had a mechanic replace the driver side yesterday, and now the death shake is completely gone. Success!

·
Second gear slammer!
461 Posts
did you check the tires and make sure theyre balanced?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts