Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
5MT Sedan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't post on here very much, but that's usually because I'm a lurker and mostly like my 4cyl 5mt sedan. The one thing that I simply CANNOT look past, however, is this abomination of a shift knob. The big rubbery knob I can understand, since it never is hot or cold to the touch, but the vinyl boot just plain ****s.

I came from a 6 speed 7th gen coupe, which had a nice metal knob and a leather shift boot. It was a higher end car than the one I have now, but even the 8th gen 6 speeds (which can cost upwards of 35k) have the same crappy vinyl garbage that we do.

My question is this: can we use OEM leather boots in our cars? It looks like the 2010 TSX shift boot is leather and is only $19.76. The leather shift boot from the Accord 6 speed is approximately the same price and includes the ring as well. As far as I'm concerns you simply pop out the shift boot assembly, unstaple/glue the old boot, and then do the reverse with the new leather boot.

I just wanted to check and see if anyone else had done this. I know people have had custom boots made and put in their cars, but no one I've seen has done an OEM leather boot, which is not only simple looking (just plain black leather), but dirt cheap at $20.

·
Registered
50 Posts
SOme material used in the 8th gen is worse than 7th gen. My friends' 7th gen have nicer shift nob(leather) and actual aluminium instead of plastic. All interior features are the same. The biggest gain on the 8th gen is probably the engine (where it matter most :naughty:). overall kinda disappointed for a car close to 30k.

·
2010 Accord Cpe V6 6mt
11 Posts
I replaced the OEM shift knob and boot with Momo. It certainly does make the car's interior look a lot better. I also used to have a 7th Gen Accord and do agree that the interior on that car did look more luxurious than my current 8th Gen.

·
Registered
937 Posts
ATX in da house!

I don't know that anyone has tried the TSX boot. But for $20, it's worth a shot, and probably doesn't require much mod (if any).

I got a leather boot and eBrake boot from redlinegoods.com. The swap is pretty easy. In fact, I made a video on how to do it. Let me know if you need any help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts