Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing around with the 1, 2nd, 3/D, and D shifts on my Automatic V6. It seems I can get more power when I'm in 1 and 2nd from the start because I can get my RPM pretty high before shifting it to 2nd gear myself.

Anyone else use this or am is this really pointless? What is the point of the 1/2/3D/D on the automatic shifter? It seems like Triptonic to me but I guess it's different.

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Down shift only using gas paddle.
Upshifting from 1-2-3-5 is perfectly ok.
The "torque converting lockup clutch" still engages in both D3 and D that acts like the overdrive gear.
I wish there was a D4 because gas paddle downshifting usually takes you from 5 to 4 but cannot manually hold it there to get revs up to 5500rpm and vtec on I4 comes on 4400rmps.
I am sure there will be aftermarket electronic control out soon to solve this, i.e. the cruse control is able to downshift to 4 and hold it there.

Honda's whole idea to do it this way is ONLY so sell Acura version accord/tl/tsx.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You can shift it however you want; If i remember correctly, on Page 265? or something like that on the manual of the car, it will say you can shift the car like a manual as if it was without a clutch (this was also talked about a while ago)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts