Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Short Block Replacement on 2008 V6 coupe

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  HondaTechAV6 
#1 ·
I know there is the all too common issue of the V6 in the 2008 models with auto- mine I believe has this issue- at around 99k I began to notice some engine hesitation and missing and spurts of surging- I went ahead and checked the oil first along with everything else- even tho I had just changed it- after 1200 miles the oil was dry- I immediately put oil in and also did an oil change- I also pulled the plugs and noticed one was fouled up- I then took it to honda where they looked up the oil consumption issue- I showed them the plug and the service writer tried to get good will to maybe replace the short block- well they couldn't- the guy said if the engine threw a code- they would have
More leverage to offer goodwill- but since I changed the plugs too soon- it didn't have enough time to throw a code. They then did an oil consumption test and topped off the oil and then said to come back after 1000 miles if the oil was to the fill mark- well after 1000 miles the oil was still there- not low- I'm not sure if they topped it off with more oil so that when I came back- it would show full-

My question is- how many of you have had short blocks replaced? And how hard was it to get Honda to do it- and how many miles did u have? The service writer said I have 8 years from the time the TSB was issued to have them cover the short block- I love my car and now I have 105k- also I'm coming up on replacing the timing belt- I don't know if I should replace the timing belt if there is a possibility that my short block may need to be replaced-I don't have an extended warranty btw

See less See more
#4 ·
I would have checked the oil after they topped it and checked it right before taking it in. Then if I liked the car I would have sucked some oil out to just register on the dipstick. Cost - about 30 bucks for the oil sucker - payoff - a new/rebuilt engine. Justification - You will never be able to trust that engine again and Honda knows the problem exists.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.