Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in California and looking to buy Honda Accord in this month. While looking for new one, one of the dealer, who is 30 miles from my places, is having 2015 Honda Accord Sedan LX with just 1100 miles. He is quoting $19,991 on his website. I visited it today and car seems clean and almost new. As per Sales person, this car came out of Auction. This car was $20,991 till yesterday and now he reduced its price. It is on list since past 53 days.
I was reading more about price for new car and edmunds.com shows somebody bought this model for $20,100 ($21856 OTD). And 4th July weekend is just 2 weeks away. I am confused now -
- Should I bargain that car more ? What number should I give him to come down ?
- If somebody remember last year 4th July sales, can give me some idea, what kind of discount I can get on Accord ?
- If prices of new one and this one is too close, better should I pick new one ?

Please suggest.
MOD - This is my first post, if I posted in wrong forum, please show it correct path.
Regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jrock645, may I know why should I get new one and why not LX ? I would respect opinions and will go with them, but just curious to know, if he reduces more price, it will already eat up car depreciation amount. Thoughts please !!!

·
Registered
941 Posts
jrock645, may I know why should I get new one and why not LX ? I would respect opinions and will go with them, but just curious to know, if he reduces more price, it will already eat up car depreciation amount. Thoughts please !!!
Barely used accords are rarely much of a cost savings over just going new. If you get a really special deal, go for it if you really like it, but it rarely seems to be worth it.

If you can swing an ex, it's just a much nicer feature set vs the lx for not THAT much more money.

·
No PRND
749 Posts
I agree with rock on the new or used question. If played right, you can get such a good deal on a new one, probably almost the same price as a lightly used one. The problem is that when you have a lightly used car, they are trying to price the car based on MSRP and not what they can be had new for.

As for which trim (if you are deciding), the Sport model offers a lot more car for only a little extra, but if that stuff doesn't matter to you then you can't go wrong with the LX.

Sport extras include power drivers seat, different seat fabric (better IMO), paddle shifters (with cvt), rear lip spoiler, 18" wheels, tune (couple hp & tq)' strut tower bar, dual exhaust, leather steering wheel. That might be all, might have missed something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.
Will it make big difference, if I wait till 4th July ? I do not know, what are usual discounts on $$ from Honda. I tried to search webpage from last year, but couldn't get an idea.

·
CD5 to CR2
205 Posts
Thanks.
Will it make big difference, if I wait till 4th July ? I do not know, what are usual discounts on $$ from Honda. I tried to search webpage from last year, but couldn't get an idea.
It will depend on your location. I've seems some people get some crazy deals on their Accords. I live in California, and I had a hard time getting any kind of deal on my 2015 Sport. A lot of my dealers wouldn't budge on their prices. I basically got it for MSRP out the door (not really good by the deals I've seen on this site, but I was in desperate need of a new car as my CD5 was on it's last limb).

Take a look at truecar.com to a get a rough estimate of what you can expect to pay. I believe Honda has been promoting their .9 financing for some time now... They say it will end on said date, but then renew it as soon as it ends.

If you have the patience, wait for the 2016 model reveal later this year. Not many leaks yet but it may be worth the wait.

Just my 2 cents

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
Wouldn't buy....no one sells a car with 1k miles unless it has problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will have to buy it now only, because as of now I do not have any. As per dealer, it was on lease with somebody and due to some circumstances, he had to go.
Main reason to consider this car (used) was, it would have absorbed its depreciation value (in advance). I can go again to dealer and do a serious evaluation. But I just want to know, if I should totally keep it out of option or should I think on some number, if dealer is ready to give it away ? I am not sure, but he may reduce it more because of end of Quarter and also 4th July weekend.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would definitely go for the new car. Concerns about the used one include (1) what warranty would it have, compared to a new car warranty? (2) don't trust the dealer regarding the reason the owner got rid of it - he can say anything to try to get you to buy it (3) who knows how the previous owner treated the car?

For me a new car would give me peace of mind about all of these things, especially if the price difference isn't that much.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Your logic for buying used is that it would have soaked up any depreciation. But if you can buy new for same or a couple hundred more, then there really isn't any depreciation and you should buy new. If you really want to find a 9th Gen Accord that is a deal, find a '13 and save a couple of thousand, not a couple hundred.

Good thing to keep in mind is that depreciation is steepest in the first two years.

I'm also scratching my head trying to reconcile the fact that they say they got it at auction but somehow they know the previous owner had an issue with their lease. If they picked it up at auction, typically they have zero insight into the true history of the car. Maybe circumstances here are different.

Bottom line, if you want used, pick up a '13. Otherwise the price difference doesn't justify accepting all of the unknowns.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Buy new.

An almost new used Accord is far too risky, and you can't believe a word the salesman says about why they have it. And you don't save enough for the risk to be worth it, IMO.

Reactions: DougNuts

·
Registered
269 Posts
My brother-in-law paid $19,700 for his new LX (Nashville, TN). There's no way I'd pay $19,100 for a used car, particularly if you're financing the car. My B-I-L got 0.9% for 5 years on his.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great question OP. I was in the same boat as you earlier this year. Conventional wisdom says to get a used vehicle and let the previous owner take the massive depreciation hit. That may be fine and well if you're buying a Chevy but the problem is, Hondas have such insane resale value that the depreciation is so minor that it's better just to get a new one imo.

When shopping back and forth between new and used, I was using MSRP of new vehicles as a baseline when in reality actual retail price will be lower with a minimal amount of negotiation. I had to ask myself why take the risk of getting a used car for a small discount that was driven like hell or potentially has serious mechanical issues when I can get a new one that I know will be taken care of from day 1.

I would echo others sentiments here and recommend getting an EX or at least a sport instead. There was a thread here that I happened upon back when I was car shopping that was an eye opener for me and I highly recommend giving it a read before you make your decision. I went from wanting a LX too just to save a little money to actually buying an EX. http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/86-9th-generation/285593-would-you-get-ex-sport.html

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hello,

2015 Honda Accord Sedan LX with just 1100 miles. He is quoting $19,991 on his website.

- Should I bargain that car more ? What number should I give him to come down ?
I paid less than that for a brand new '15 LX CVT, so I would say that's not a good deal.

The Kelley Blue Book trade-in value for that car (assuming CVT) is $18,000. They probably paid less than that at auction, and didn't have to spend a penny getting it ready for sale, so I would only pay $18,000 for it, if you decide to buy it. But considering you can get a new one for so little more, I'd go new.

Counter to what some others have suggested, I say get an LX if it has the features you want. I specifically did not want some of the features that the Sport and EX have, and am glad I got an LX.

Just go into some other Honda dealership (preferably the one with the largest Accord inventory in your area), tell them that you're on your way to buy that used Accord today, but you'll buy a new one from them instead if they can match the price. They'll go in the back to talk to the sales manager then come back, and all you need is a Yes or No answer. If they say No, get up and go to another Honda dealership. They'll probably stop you from leaving and go in the back again, then come back with a better deal. Repeat until they match the price, or go to another dealership and repeat.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Get a new one with the rumored but unconfirmed Honda Sensing features. It will have a new look and wheels as well.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav
870 Posts
Plus you dont know if the person that was leasing it beat the crap out of the motor during the break in period. But then again its your call. I would buy new as there isn't much price difference. Here in South Florida an lx is 23,695 but with the right negotion you can get it much cheaper maybe around high 21. http://rickcasehonda.com/New_Inventory/model/Accord

·
Registered
37 Posts
This forum has a big bias for buying brand new. I remember once poster once said, "Hondas tend to be better bought brand new". No ****, lol!

Here's my honest opinion:

You should be close to indifferent between buying brand new and slightly used. Think of the value of a car on a graph as a nearly straight line that slopes downward, where it's decreasing in value over time/miles driven. The car drops in value very slightly faster at the far left of the graph.

Buying brand new, you are starting at the farthest left. Buying slightly used, you are taking advantage of depreciation but it's not a very huge amount.

I bought a 2014 Accord LX certified used w/ 6000 miles on it for $17000. OTD was about $19800. Except for some slight rust in the wheel well (it's been in the Chicagoland winter), it was indistinguishable from brand new. It's still under the OEM warrenty, and with a clean Carfax, the chance something was wrong w/ it was almost none. So far the car has been fine.

Summary: To save a little money, buy brand new. For slightly more peace of mind, buy brand new.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Also, by buying used you avoid the ~$900 unavoidable transportation fee. Funny that NO ONE at all who has a bias towards buying new mentions this.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Also, by buying used you avoid the ~$900 unavoidable transportation fee. Funny that NO ONE at all who has a bias towards buying new mentions this.
I can't speak for others, but the $19,850 I paid for mine included the $820 destination charge. And a $600 dealer doc fee. So still cheaper than what OP's dealer wants for a used one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts